“Best beer in North Carolina!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Fish & Chips
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Best beer in North Carolina!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Great service and great food! A must in Winston-Salem. Try the Fish and chips with a Hoppyum or any of their fat delicious burgers.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
FoothillsBrewing, General Manager at Foothills Brewing, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thanks for the great review! We hope to see you again soon!

Colorado
“Good beer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

Friend and I sat at the bar. We enjoyed our several beers and the pretzels with cheese dip. The bar tended was very knowledgeable about the beers.

I returned later after an event for another pint while waiting on a friend. I was in the restaurant this time. I observed a particularly untrained staff. Also due to the construction of the building it was rather loud especially with a band.

I'd suggest enjoying beers and apps in the bar on a nice afternoon.

Visited November 2013
FoothillsBrewing, Manager at Foothills Brewing, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thanks for the review, I'm glad your experience in the bar was pleasant. And I'm sorry your second experience did not match up. We strive endlessly to make sure our staff is well trained. I hope you give us another chance. Cheers!
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Go for beer, not food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Let's just be real - Foothills is about the beer. The head brewer Jamie is a master at creating great brews - from the basic Salem Gold to the ultra complex Sexual Chocolate, he is a beer savant! This is why you go. Staying real, the bar food is fair to average - do not under any circumstance expect fine dinning. Get wings, burgers, onion rings, most anything fried will be OK, but don't look for greatness on a plate. Sadly, it's not there. I really wish the management would up their game on their food. A little salt and pepper would go a long way. Remember the greatness is in the pint glasses. I've sought out local breweries all over the US and I been a home brewer for more than 20 years; Jamie's beer is the real deal. There should be something for any beer lover on his list - even if your a CoorMilWiser lover, this is the place to expand your palate and your horizons. Have a couple of pints or try a sampler, you won't regret it.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
FoothillsBrewing, Manager at Foothills Brewing, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thanks for the review, and I'm sorry you aren't a big fan of our food. Any suggestions?
Portland, Oregon
“fairly consistent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Food is decent beer is all over the board prices are high, and service is spotty. Fun place when it all comes together, disappointment if it doesn't but it is close to therbars so not to worry theres always another bar in Winston Salem

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
FoothillsBrewing, Manager at Foothills Brewing, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Thanks for the review, Milespert.
NC
“First & last visit to this local establishment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Gosh, where do I start? We visited Friday night and it was by far, the most excruciating restaurant experience we've had in a very long time.

It started off well. When we got there, at 7:20pm, we were told a 20-30 min wait, but ended up only being 10 minutes, so we were seated at 7:30pm. That's when everything starts to fall apart.

After looking at the menu, I realized how expensive they are! I could not believe chicken tenders were $13.99! YIKES!! My daughter's chicken sandwich and hot chips were $11.99. For a sandwich and chips? Really??

Our waiter came within just a few minutes to get our drink order, but that was the only time he was prompt. We received our drinks 10 minutes later (he also took our order at this time too), but after we received our drinks, I decided I wanted a water instead. We did not see our waiter for 20 minutes! 20 MINUTES! Unacceptable. I finally got my water, but we've already experienced some bad service, so, hopefully, the food will make up for it.

After being seated for 50 minutes, we finally get our food. Seriously?? We've been to many restaurants on very crowded Friday & Saturday nights and have NEVER waited nearly an hour before getting our food from the time we were seated. Unfortunately, the food did not make up for the terrible service. My daughter's food was completely cold and had obviously been sitting up there for a long time. Her chips also did not come out floppy as she requested, so I asked the waiter to bring her some fresh, hot ones. My chicken had absolutely no flavor to it, so it was very bland. My husband said he has had much better, but it was fine for him to eat. He did love his beer though!

When the manager came around to ask how everything was, I told him how disappointed we were. He obviously did not care, as his response to me was a justification on how they get backed up in the kitchen on weekends and that he would address everything. Here is a tip: HIRE MORE KITCHEN STAFF FOR THE WEEKENDS!!! You cannot run a restaurant and expect your customers to return with service like this!!

Unfortunately, it did not end there. When we FINALLY received our bill, there was a charge for extra ranch for 50 cents. Of course, that's not a lot, but it was the principal of the fact that no one at our table ordered an extra ranch. We were using a coupon for $10 off, which showed up correctly on our bill.........but, when the waiter brought a revised bill back to us to reflect the 50 cents charge being removed, it changed the discount from $10 to $5. He did not look at the bill before he brought it back, so he had to get the manager to fix our bill. That only took a few minutes.

Finally, after being in this place from 7:20pm to 9:30pm and being seated for 2 hours, we were finally able to leave.

My recommendations? If you really want to go, go for the beer, not food or service. After we ate, we discovered that they aren't just expensive, they are completely overpriced! We also found it very difficult to talk to each other due to the level of loudness in there. It was extremely loud (due to the interior set-up) & there were times when we had to strain to hear our waiter when he was speaking to us.

We were very disappointed that we didn't even get an apology from the manager. That's ok.....we won't be back & we will not recommend this place to our friends or family. We can get great beer from the grocery stores, we don't have to go to Foothills.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
I am sorry to hear about how long your food took last Friday, hour long ticket times are unacceptable. If we are that busy on the weekends I fully expect my staff to at least let our guests know if food is taking that long to come out of the kitchen. So, I do, sincerely apologize for your food taking so long. I am, however, interested to know who in downtown you are comparing us to when you say we are over-priced. If anything, we are one of the cheaper places to eat downtown and our portions reflect our pricing. I would love to send you a gift card, in hopes you might give us another chance. Just let me know if there is anything I can do to lure you back. Thanks for your review, we can only fix the problems we are aware of.
Whitney Bohlen