“Rude staff, but great food” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
District Roof Top Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #281 of 570 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 7th & Trade
“Rude staff, but great food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Went with a group...the staff was pretty rude to us, despite the fact that we had a large group in bar area and everyone was buying food (appetizers and entrees) as well as drinks. They actually tried to take stools from us while we were eating! Very strange customer service. Food was good, but why would you take seats away from paying customers? They kept sending different staff over to us, each one being increasingly rude. They tried to take seats that were assigned to our table as we were eating and right after we had just ordered another round of drinks...never had staff be that rude to me in a restaurant before. very odd. Not a good place for a large group of people to go to eat or to watch a game or sit in a bar. Small groups (4 or less) and just for drinks would be ok, but no big groups and maybe eat elsewhere so you can actually sit and eat.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Ipswich, Massachusetts
“Good solid spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Very good food and equally good service. Everything we ordered tasted good. The servings were good sized. The prices were fair. A good spot that we will return to.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Winston-Salem, NC
“Upscale Atmosphere & Delicious Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

From prior reviews, I had limited expectations of the place. However, the vibe was upscale, with the comfortable chairs and mixture of old warehouse and modern construction. The salmon was cooked perfectly, juicy in the middle, and the sides were tasty. One quibble: the front door lets in too much cold air for the front table.

Visited January 2013
The World
“Won't go back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Let me start by saying the food was, by and large, pretty good. Nothing extra special, no real creativity, no "wow" dishes at our table, but nothing objectionable.

The service and management were, however, a mess.

We went on New Year's Eve, but dined early (5:00), as we had our (very well behaved) two year old with us. Our party of 8 was seated in the private dining room, probably because of our child. That was fine, as we didn't want him to disturb other guests. We were the only guests in this dining room and I estimate the rest of the tables were 1/4 to 1/3 occupied while we were there.

We had come on my sister-in-law's recommendation, as she had been there before and LOVED their pizza -- she said it may have been the best she's ever had. We were seated and left with menus, which prominently featured a half page of pizzas and another of burgers. When the server arrived to greet us, she stated that burgers and pizzas would not be available that night, because they expected a large crowd for NYE and those items took a longer than average time to prepare. I can see that for the pizza, but I have no idea why it would take longer to prepare a burger than the items we eventually ordered. We suspected that they were trying to force people to purchase the more expensive entree items on the menu. A few of us were disappointed, as we were excited to try the pizza.

The server also mentioned a NYE special for two. For sixty dollars, you get two glasses of champagne, two steaks, lobster tails and dessert. Except that she wasn't sure if it was one dessert or two. And it might be just one lobster tail. And she never went to check, despite some at our table expressing interest. As a result, no one ordered it.

She also pointed out a drinks menu on the table, saying that their beers had changed and that menu wasn't accurate. Neither was the beer list in the dinner menu. She did list the 6 or 8 tap beers, none of which appealed to me. When I asked her what bottled beer they had, she said "Oh, I'm not going to list all those for you." I was left with no idea what beers they had and had to resort to a game of "Do you have __?" "No." "OK, Do you have__?"

Then came the food orders. My sister-in-law ordered a black bean burger (which apparently doesn't take as long to make as a regular burger) and asked if she could have grilled onions instead of the red onion it was supposed to come with. She was informed that there would be an upcharge for this. "Just to switch from one kind of onion to another?" "Well," the server replied, "for the grilled onions, they've got to be cooked in the kitchen, which takes time and man-hours and all that." OK...

My niece asked for a garden salad for her side order, and requested Caesar dressing. Server: "On a garden salad? We have a side Caesar I can bring you." Niece: "OK". Server: "There'll be an upcharge for that." Brother-in-law: "Can't you just put the Caesar dressing on the garden salad?" Server: "Well, I wouldn't recommend that. It's kind of clumpy."

My brother-in-law wanted to order the Mama's Moravian Chicken Pie, which was made with unique ingredients and sounded delicious. But the server informed him that it was no longer the same Chicken Pie. Now it was more like a regular pot pie, "which carrots and veggies and stuff, ya know?" He ordered it anyway, not really knowing what he'd get. He said it was okay, but not at all like the unique dish listed on the menu would have been.

I got chicken and waffles, which was fine (tho' the side of greens was the best thing on my plate). When it arrived, I asked for butter to put on the waffles. Server: "We don't really have butter." Me: "You don't have butter??" Server: "Well, it's all frozen." Me: "Couldn't you soften it up in the kitchen somehow?" At this point, another server who'd been helping out stepped in, telling the first that she has the cooks soften butter for her all the time. I got the butter, and while the center of the scoop was still frozen, enough of the outside was soft to put on my waffles.

In the end, none of us ordered dessert or a second drink. We weren't interested in giving them any more of our business. Like I said, everyone's food was fine. But the experience was a travesty, especially when we'd been looking forward to a special night out for New Year's Eve. If they weren't going to have the full menu available and certain items on their menu had changed, maybe they should have printed a special (and accurate) holiday menu just for the night. And they should definitely have a list of beers that they actually have for their customers to peruse.

And when the check came (nicely split into families by the second server) there was a 20% tip automatically added on -- no chance to tip what I felt was really appropriate. No wonder the server didn't care how or whether she answered our questions or fulfilled our requests. We will never go back.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Thomasville, North Carolina
“Waste of time and Rude staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had taken one of our really good friends out for her birthday and we were terribly displeased. It looks amazing inside and out, but once you get inside it is very small and they only have place settings for 4 at a time we had 5 in our group and they were very rude by telling us that we could not pull up a chair and they we would have to stand up the whole time. Just not a good 1st time experience and unfortunately it will be the last here just because of the rudeness.

• Visited November 2012