“Best Breakfast in Winston Salem” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Best Breakfast in Winston Salem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

Breakfast of Course! (BOC) offers the best breakfast/lunch in Winston Salem. The place is quirky and artsy but the food is perfectly prepared with organic ingredients resulting in superb outcomes. They have, by far, the best French Toast in the city and some of their offerings, such as "the full Monte Cristo" is the best Monte Cristo sandwich I've ever had. Their coffee is a special blend prepared specially by Crankie's Coffee of Winston Salem and is outstanding. I have introduced several friends to BOC and it has become one of their favorites.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

66% Recommend
“Will become a favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012 via mobile

Our friends insisted that we have lunch at Breakfast of Course because it's one of their favorite places. Now we know why - it was fabulous! They told it that it was not uncommon for there to be 40 people waiting to get it on a weekend for brunch, so instead of going at peak time, we went at 1pm on Saturday and were seated immediately. Excellent coffee. The polenta fries were nothing to write home about, though I thought their chipotle aioli would be killer on a burger. My party shared the breakfast nachos and they were a huge hit. They disappeared in seconds and we were all tempted to lick the white cheese sauce from the plates. Everyone was happy with their entree choices, including the Croque Monsieur, Crispy Madame, Apple Butter Baby, Club sandwich, and an omelette. They have an extensive list of omelette fillings, including some I've never even imagined like pimento cheese. The delightful array of sides includes normal offerings like hash browns, teacups full of grits, sausage gravy, and some healthier options like vegetarian gravy, sliced tomatoes, broccoli, spinach, and (my choice) the perfectly-cooked asparagus. Lots of vegan and vegetarian options. Funky, off-beat decor, loads of natural light. It's a busy joint, so I'd recommend calling ahead if you have more than 4 in your party for peak times.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Indescribably rude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012 via mobile

After having waited in line one of our group was seated while I was being dropped off out front (I recently underwent some surgery and cannot walk too far) when our friend sat down and I was slowly walking up my friend was informed that they "only will seat full parties" and this notice came in the form of the menu being jerked from her hand and the place settings being taken up. By this point I had finally made to the door and realized what had happened. I attempted to explain the situation and was met with a remarkable level of recalcitrance and a very short "and how is that my problem?" Barked to me by the unpleasant hostess guarding the door.
In sort I would love to be able to review this restaurant however I was not even able to get in the door so I must base this review on the short unpleasant, displeasing experience with which I was met. . . . . Unfortunate

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Wonderful food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011 via mobile

Fresh ingredients with unique combinations. The tomato bisque is some of the best I've had. The grilled Brie ad pear sandwich is to die for and the omelet Reminds me of Dottie's true blue cafe in San Fran! Definitely a favorite!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Connecticut
“Owner should not greet customers grumpy grumpy grumpy!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

We both ordered egg sandwich with apple butter and sausage. The sausage is Polish Kielbasa which needed to be cooked alittle more.. Large serving. Service good food ok. If it wasn't for the unfriendly owner (which we drove 4 hours to try this restaurant because of the Southern Living write-up) we would have stayed home or at best went to another restaurant who may have appreciated us as customers. We actually met her niece at another restaurant featured in SL and she said to say "hi" to her aunt. Well she was not speaking to anyone that day.

• Visited November 2011