“Needed a refuge - not so much” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #21 of 39 Hotels in Winston Salem
Winston-Salem,NC
“Needed a refuge - not so much”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Power... was out at home so we packed up the family and took refuge here.....now - cannot fault the Hotel for the chaos...lots of families were "camping out" as the whole town was out of power in spooty places. Rooms were hard to cpme by- BUT - SOME, not all, of the front desk staff really need to step up their game. #1 rule - no personal cell phones should be anywhere in site of costomers. I should not have to wait for ANYTHING while they are finishing up a personal call - EVER, EVER!!!!!
Waited for coffee refills - waited to have questions answered not good.
Heat is 'old school' and needs updating...for the price of this room needs updating.
Just not the experience I expected for the PRICE.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear Outlanders,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

A simple, easy hotel with a nice breakfast and friendly staff. The hotel is nothing special; it is merely a Holiday Inn Express, but the beds were comfortable and the location was good for shopping and eating.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
jorgekoster, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you for taking time to comment about our hotel. We appreciate the positive feedback.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

We were very impressed with the quality and responsiveness of the staff. The breakfast was hot and was very tasty. The rooms were very clean and well maintained. My family loved the area, and this was the icing on the cake.

Room Tip: Choose odd numbered room to be on the quiet side of the hotel, away from the highway.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
jorgekoster, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
I am always pleased to read Excellent reviews from our guests. I share this feedback with the team members to encourage and reinforce the impact of their service and hard work.

Lecanto, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We have stayed in this Holiday Inn Express multiple times. We keep coming back for a reason! The staff is wonderful and helpful. The public areas are always clean. The security is good. The rooms are large and well appointed. They also have one feature that you very rarely find! In these days of laptops and tablets and cell phones and many, many charger cords, in most hotels, you're lucky if you find 1 electrical outlet that you must use to plug everything you have into. Not so at this hotel....there are many, many outlets and they are all over the room. The beds are comfortable. The bathroom is spacious. The complimentary breakfast is always a good way to start the day. Though small, the workout room is nicely equipped. The hotel is located centrally with easy access to the highway and anything else you'd like to do in the Winston Salem area!

Room Tip: ask for a room on the side opposite the interstate because we've stayed in rooms on the intersta...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
jorgekoster, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review. We strive to make your stay as comfortable and hassle free as possible. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Spencer, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

My experience at this hotel was mostly positive. The room was clean, spacious, nicely maintained and accessorized, and the CC feature on the TV worked great. I have a hearing loss so if there was traffic noise outside, I didn't notice it. The breakfast was good with a nice variety of foods including, among other things, make-your-own waffles, a meat, biscuits and gravy. Two attendants were constantly on duty making sure that items were well stocked and the area kept clean.

My only complaint, and I really wasn't happy that night, was the geographically-challenged person at the desk--Kourtland. The directions on the website weren't very specific, and I called for directions from I-77 when I felt I was near the hotel. Kourtland had little idea where the hotel was located beyond the street address. He didn't know if it was east or west off of I-40 from I-77. Then he wanted to know my home address, and gave me some unusual sounding directions that resulted in my getting pretty lost. When I finally made it to the hotel, Kourtland even had trouble telling me the location of my room, then looked for a map that took longer than one might think. A nice enough guy, just geographically challenged.

I'd like to recommend this hotel with one caveat. Call for directions while it is still daylight and you are not traveling at 70 mph. And by all means, if Kourtland answers the phone, ask for someone else!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
jorgekoster, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
I am glad to read that your overall experience, outside of directions was pleasant. That is what we strive for! I have shared your comments with the team members, especially the housekeepers and breakfast attendants with regards to their due diligence in their effort to maintain the standard! Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next stay.

Huntsville, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

As mentioned in other reviews, this property is located next to I-40 and is very loud. I approached the front desk at midnight to ask why I had been put on the loud side if there were rooms on the quiet side and was told there were rarely any complaints about the noise. Now, I could have moved to the quiet side but one member of my group was asleep so I would have had to pay for another room. I do not think much of a hotel that charged my such a high price for such poor accommodations and the employees lie to my face. There is no plan in place to insulate this hotel properly against the noise. Do not take a room on the even number side unless you want to be awoken by semis all night long. Better yet, find a decent hotel.

Room Tip: Pretty much any other hotel would probably have been a better choice. I would not recommend any roo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear xkal123,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I would like to offer a sincere apology for the inconvenience the outside club noise had caused you and regret that you were not satisfied with the service you received from our staff. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I'm relatively new to Holiday Inn Express and have been pleasantly surprised by the quality in several different cities. I had a good experience here. This was was a slightly lower quality than I've experienced at other HIEs. For example, the wallpaper in many areas is peeling slightly where it meets the ceiling. Both the treadmills in the gym made horribly loud sounds when in use. The plumbing in the bathroom was exposed under the sink. But, like I've said, none of this really impacted my stay. The staff was friendly, the breakfast was good as usual, the room was very clean and modern, the bathroom was roomy with a large sink area. When I come back in two weeks I'll probably stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem? Share your experiences!