“Can't wait to go again.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #246 of 582 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Cuisines: Mongolian
North Carolina
“Can't wait to go again.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

This was our first visit and we had no idea what to expect. Everyone was very helpful. The waiter explained how everything worked in great detail. It is set up salad bar style so you pick the meat and vegies you like. All the food looked fresh. When we got to the sauces there were so many to choose from but it is set up so you can taste and pick what you like. One of the staff came by and ask us if we liked spicey then he mixed 3 different sauces together and let us taste. It was so good we went with that mixture. Next step is to take it to the grill. My lunch partner did get their food 3 or 4 minutes before I did but that wasn't an issue for us. Everything tasted so wonderful and we can not wait to go back. So first timers don't be afraid they will walk you through the process, AND our service was great. The manager checked on us and he made several visits to tables making sure everyone was ok.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Service sucks”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Service was the worst I have seen in a long time. Some of our food came and we ate but others at our table did not get there food untill we were almost done eating. Took twenty min plus to get a check. Had to ask for it three times. Almost left with out paying. I told the front desk guy that ( I think we will just go now since we can't get our check ) then It took another ten min. I still had to ask for a to go box again. The so called manager was out side talking to another employee. Lucky for her she came back in before I got to her I have had enough. Our waiter was nice but needed to find something else he wad better at. A lot of people standing around talking to one another. I will never eat there or recomend them to anyone. All they have to do is get your drink and bring your check every thing eles is self serve. Food was burnt plastic bowels smelt like hot plastic fumes infused with your food. Sounds like a fun place but just save your money and find another place to eat. I am a local and I try to support local biz but momma never raised no fool.

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Western NC
“perfect for the "picky" eater”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

since you fill your own bowl with exactly what you want, there is no way to not "like" your meal. the staff is very helpful and will talk you thru the whole process. you get to fill your bowl with multiple choices. meats include - chicken, shredded beef, turkey, shrimp, scallops, calamari, barbeque, pork, sausage, tofu are the choices I can remember. then you get to season it with anything from salt and pepper to ginger and other spices. now start piling on the veggies! next comes the sauces, about 9 choices but of course you can and should mix up your own style. now the chefs will cook your mix up and add starch such as rice, udon, pasta etc. wait staff bring it to your table and keep the drinks flowing. Cara (hope I spelled that correctly) was wonderful. you don't leave hungry for sure. It can be noisy but is fun and well priced for a different kind of dinning experience.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Advance, North Carolina
“Restaurant has been sold and rules changing, according to employee Veronica.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

My family has dined at Genghis Grill in Winston-Salem on numerous occasions. We regularly take advantage of the "free" birthday bowl offers and holiday events. We enjoyed a nice Valentine deal this past February, and we have introduced many of our friends to Genghis. On a Sunday afternoon in August, we visited the restaurant and were looking forward to an enjoyable meal. We were greeted by friendly employees at the door, asked if we had ever been, placed our drink order, and headed to the buffet. On our first trip to Genghis several years ago, and on other trips when we have brought in first-time diners, the friendly hostesses always tell you to fill your bowls, and they explain techniques to ensure full bowls. On this day, as my husband and I are filling our bowls, we noticed an employee filling a personal bowl from inside the buffet area. I assume she was on break; however, she did not have on a name tag, even though she was in the center section of the buffet area dressed in a Ghenghis Grill shirt. There were no other customers in the buffet line. I was standing in front of the calamri, having previously lined my bowl with spinach and mxed vegetables. She looked at me and advised that I would be charged extra for the amount of food I had in my bowl and that I had not built my bowl correctly. I was stunned! I asked her where "building rules" were written, and she said the Winston-Salem Genghis Grill had been bought out, things were changing, and future bowls would be weighed before being cooking to determine if extra charges would be assessed. My husband and I were shocked at the warning we received from this unprofessional employee. And let's be honest, how much food can you actually cram in those tiny little bowls? Since she had no name tag on, my husband asked her for her name, and she said Veronica. Mr. Bill McGinnes is the general manager at this location, and I hope he reads this and takes appropriate action. Probably won't go back.

• Visited August 2013
“Nice meal, kind of fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We had a nice meal at Ghengis Grill. This was our first visit to the mongolian grill type restaurant. When we first walked in the hostess greeted us warmly and seated us. It was fun to build your own "bowl" (you pick your raw foods and they cook it for you). I would advise to STUFF your bowl as much as you can with as much of the proteins and vegetables you want. You can "taste" the sauces as they have small tasting spoons before you choose the one that will be cooked with your meal. I picked the Chili-Garlic which turned out great. They add the rice or noodles themselves at the end. At first we thought the little metal bowl was kinda measly and we would still be hungry, but by the time they add the hearty portion of rice, it was PLENTY of food.

• Visited September 2013