“Very Enjoyable Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Plaza Winston Salem North

You added Ramada Plaza Winston Salem North to your Saves list
Ramada Plaza Winston Salem North
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3050 University Parkway, Winston Salem, NC 27105 (Formerly Clarion Collection Hotel Sundance Plaza Hotel Spa & Wellness Ctr.)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Winston Salem
Mass
“Very Enjoyable Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

A Western Film Festival I was attending had booked this location for our event. Some previous reviews left me a little nervous.
I found the prior reviews to be completely unfounded. While this is an older hotel, it has been mostly all renovated & upgraded to include most all modern ammenities. The rooms were clean & comfortable & well appointed. Parking was much better than the previous Hilton we were at. The layout of the hotel was very well suited to our needs, and I found that the staff was always very willing and helpful. The only negative was that some of the desk staff, while willing, need some more experience to take care of multiple situations at once.
They provided an excellant continental breakfast, and a luncheon bar which all seemed to enjoy.
I am glad to hear that the groups organizers have already signed a contract to have our event there again next year also.

• Liked — Staff helpfullness
  • Disliked — A little difficult to locate
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
PARTNERNC, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Winston Salem North, responded to this review, March 23, 2009
Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am looking forward to the Western Film Fair in 2009. All of the staff had a wonderful time with the customers, supporting the event with their cowboy/cowgirl hats and bandanas. 1/3 of our guest rooms have local / regional artwork. We allocated 6 of our guest rooms to honor the Western Film Fair Festival that is held here. If you get the opportunity, ask to stay in one of the six rooms and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

If the Marriots are booked up and you just need a place to stay for a night or two, this is fine. It's your basic motel, decent and somewhat clean but nothing special. Bathrooms are a little dingy and less clean and could use some updating, walls are paper thin but beds are acceptable and location is good if you're visiting the university. Not a first choice by any means but not the worst motel in the world either.

• Liked — Location near the university
  • Disliked — Dated and dingy.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
PARTNERNC, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Winston Salem North, responded to this review, April 5, 2009
Thank you for responding regarding your stay with us. I do appreciate all feedback, negative and positive. We are a upscale property with a Spa, Wellness Center Atmosphere, a Fitness Center, and our gorgeous Sanctuary Gardens to relax in. We have over 10,000 square footage of banquet facility to hold any type of function. The property was renovated in 2005-2007 and we are continuously upgrading.
Peachtree City, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2008

We stay at this hotel frequently, for two reasons- its proximity to the events we attend and the unavailability of other, near-by hotels. The latter reason alone should be revealing about this hotel.

I have stayed at this hotel on and off for over 12 years, albeit under different ownership at times. Somehow, it just never seems to get any better overall.

The fixtures in the room are usually poorly assembled or installed. Things from disjointed crown molding to remote controls with dead batteries to chairs with loose legs are minor items at best. However non-working HVAC units; uncaulked shower tubs; stained shower tubs; drinking glasses with lipstick; mattresses with stains; ripped phone books- those items are more than bothersome. This is not to say you'll encounter all of this in the same room at the same time. But you can at least bet on one of those items per stay.

This past weekend, we had to move from a room because the HVAC unit (both A/C and heat) did not work. At all. After moving from a king to a two double-bed room, we discovered that the stairwell doors (our room was adjacent to the elevator lobby) are not oiled or maintained as from approximately 11pm until 4 am, they routinely squeaked and slammed, with a loud metallic clang echoing through the building structure. After walking around (since I could not sleep) I discovered that every single stairwell door in this "hotel" had some form of problem- enough to be disruptive of the rooms in the immediate vicinity.

Later that sleepless night (as we found out in the morning) a local high school prom began to fill the hotel and we were treated to loud, obnoxious, inconsiderate and unsupervised kids who filled the halls with noise and smoke (on non-smoking floors). The haze of smoke was thick enough as to obscure the far end of the hall and the stench was overpowering.

Then we were treated to rap music being blasted from room 201- an entire floor below us and on the other side of the lobby from us. This is the most fortuitous aspect of our stay as the room we had initially been given (with the non-working HVAC) was room 301: directly above the new dance club room.

I saw no hotel security or any other personnel other than the woman at the front desk whose only recourse was to call the Winston-Salem Police Department... four separate times. And they came out... four separate times. For a while during my sleepless roamings of the hallways, I listened to this beleaguered woman take call after call from angry hotel guests and respond with little more than, "I've called the police, sir." Great customer service to be sure.

After not sleeping, we had to catch a flight in Greensboro at 7:30 so we left at 6am. The woman at the front desk, when asked about the night's revelry, said that the hotel policy was no rooms may be booked by anyone under 21. After an evening of not sleeping, I found that amusing enough to laugh out loud. When I inquired how she was going to make the situation right by us, she responded with that corporately fatal term which is basically suicide for customer service: I don't have the authority to do anything. You might as well just spit at a customer and call him an idiot for patronizing your company.

Frankly, the only thing that popped into my mind was the familiar blue and white logo of the Ritz Carlton and their superlative, do-whatever-it-takes customer service. But we're not paying Ritz rates at the Sundace, are we? Well, it cost me almost $100 for a night of not-sleeping, smoke, noise and an education in how not to structurally maintain a customer-friendly hotel. $100 won't get you much at the Ritz but I would've slept better in my car in a Ritz parking lot.

As I've said before- I've stayed at this hotel many times. I've never been compelled to write a review as I find myself very forgiving and understanding about things that happen in a hotel.

To be fair and clear, this hotel has certainly made some improvements. But I fear they are less substantive and more superficial.

So in exchange for "I don't have the authority to do anything," I will take my 6-8 weekends a year I spend at this hotel and stay at another hotel in Winston. I will also not spare anyone else I know my story. I might normally bring my problems to the attention of higher-ups in the Clarion chain but if their front-line people are taught to say "I can't do anything," I can only imagine the pre-packaged response I'd get from upper-management. Frankly, it's easier to take my business elsewhere than to remind a purported hotel chain about the basics of hospitality.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise, cleanliness, lack of maintenance
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We welcome all feedback, negative and positive. If you would like to come back, ask to see the General Manager and I will make sure that everything goes well with your stay.
Cherokee, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

I can see some major improvements. I stayed here a while ago and things look much better. Staff is friendly and cordial. Rooms look cleaner and improved still not a five star property, but I think sometime they will be there or very close. I would recommend this for the average travelor who is looking for a good value, and frinedly people.

• Liked — The staff service
  • Disliked — Everything was very nice
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for recognizing that our team is doing a great job. We spend every day ensuring that our customer is taken care of and the quality of their stay is exceptional.
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2008

This is the second time I've stayed at The Sundance Plaza. I could tell from my first stay in 01/07 and my second stay in 02/07 that physical improvements are being made quickly (interior "sprucing up," etc.). The room was clean, bedding was clean and of good quality, plenty of pillows which were comfortable. Heating unit worked fine for me and kept the room at a comfortable temperature. I was there during a state wrestling tournament with lots of teenagers at the hotel (because of its convenient location, I'm sure), but my room was quiet during the entire stay. Also, even with a crowd, I found elevator wait time to be brief, if having to wait at all.
The front desk staff also seemed much improved within the short time of one month. Every encounter was friendly and helpful. I had a unique situation arise, and the front desk staff went out of their way to assist.
Amenities--I had no problem with the internet connection in my room. The location is excellent and I felt very secure during my stay. I did not take advantage of breakfast, spa or pool, so I have no comment on those amenities. It is useful to have microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker in the room. Also, the ice machine worked every time (an important amenity in my opinion-the ice machine seems to be a problem in hotels frequently)!
Apparently The Sundance is under new management, and the improvements being made in service and facilities are apparent.
I'll be returning to Winston-Salem in the spring and will most definitely stay at The Sundance Plaza again. A great value!

• Liked — Location, in-room amenities, and front desk staff
  • Disliked — I liked my stay entirely
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for recognizing all of the positive changes that we made. With a great team in place and such a beautiful property to work with, we love to share the value with our customer.
FunTraveler772
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2008

This hotel is not the worst ever, but definitely could use improvement. The check in staff was very friendly, but that is the only part of the experience that was pleasant. The plumbing lacks a lot. I requested to change rooms when after noting the cracked commode and cloudy water that remained even after flushing. The new room was much the same without the crack. The heat was not really adjustable...either very hot or cold air! I would not recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Check in staff
  • Disliked — Heating
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for your comments. We have done alot of upgrading in our guest rooms and have purchased new a/c units. Please come back and see us and we will make it right by you.
Miami, Fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

I was in town visiting relatives during the holidays and decided to stay somewhere other than your tipical "flagged" property. I found the rooms to be very clean and comfortable. The staff was very nice, hospitable and helpful.

The only problem I encountered was with internet connection. I was informed by the front desk that their IT company had been out to make repairs the day before, however had not completed the job. I was able to gain internet access in the lobby and restaurant even though my room had no connection.

The hotel is not the Ritz, but for the rate was nice, clean and convenient. The Spa is very nice and offers many treatments however my stay was short and I did not have the opportunatity to take advantage of it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bar not open
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for your comments. Our property is very unique than most. We have the Spa, Sculpture Garden, Wellness Center, over 10,000 sq ft of banquet space, the Sanctuary Gardens and many more delights. Since your stay, we have upgraded our internet access points and Time Warner provides the internet access speed. We rarely have any issues with the internet. Please come back and see us.

Been to Ramada Plaza Winston Salem North? Share your experiences!