“Fantastic Weekend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Winston Salem Hotel & Spa

You added Winston Salem Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Winston Salem Hotel & Spa
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3050 University Parkway, Winston Salem, NC 27105 (Formerly Ramada Plaza Winston Salem North)   |
Ranked #27 of 36 Hotels in Winston Salem
Boothwyn, Pennsylvania
“Fantastic Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

Enjoyed a long weekend at the Sundance to take in the Wake vs. Va Tech football game. The hotel is within walking distance of the stadium, which is a big plus. It's also very close to campus and downtown W-S, too. The staff provided another outstanding weekend of customer service. They are all very friendly and attentive (Edith, Cynthia, and Elaine just to name a few). This hotel just has a very nice 'feel' to it, from the moment you enter the Lobby until the morning you check out. The breakfasts are great, the bar is small but more than adequate, and the spa is wonderful. I will definitely stay here on future visits to Wake.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
FamilyManBahama, Manager at Winston Salem Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for taking your time and share your feedback with us. Our goal is ti meet or exceed your expectation and I am glad to hear that we achived our goal.

919 215-9372

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

The property is in a decent location adjacent to Wake Forest University. The lobby is nice...great first impression. The front desk staff was friendly, but somewhat unprofessional. There's a teenager sitting behind the desk talking to someone across the lobby about how to jailbreak an iPhone, and three other people are staring off into space. However the one that was working was quick and accurate.

When we brought our pet in (which was on the reservation, but they claimed it was not), they decided to switch us to a 'pet-friendly' room. That makes sense, since many people have allergies and they don't want pet dander in every room. Cool. We get to the new room, and the air is off, and has been for some time. It's hot and stale. We turned on the air, and it clunked once. After five minutes, nothing. We call the front desk...no answer. Perhaps they should have been working on jailbreaking the hotel phone. So, my wife walks to the lobby to see what can be done. The air comes on, so I sprint to the lobby to let her and the staff know that everything is fine.

The plan was to move us to the room we were originally booked in. They moved us to the current room because according to the staff, some guests don't let their pets out when they're in a room away from the back door. Please do not make the assumption that we're not going to take our dog out to do her business. Also, do you really think we're just going to let her out the back door on one of the busiest highways in Winston-Salem? Whatever. Also, we learned that the air is kept off in all of the rooms. I'm glad it wasn't July.

The room eventually cooled down and we slept OK. Average two-star room and bed.

This is a property that has so much potential, but just can't seem to reach it. There's a 'we're coasting on the built in clientele visiting Wake Forest' feel to it. I don't think it's anything to do with the front-line staff, it's more of lack of active management issue. There were no true deal-breakers, but for the money, there are better places close by.

Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
FamilyManBahama, Owner at Winston Salem Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear guest:
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your review. Sorry it took so long. While we truly strive to meet and or exceed your expectation, we clearly missed our goals with you. I am sorry about that. We take your comments and share them with the staff and provide more training in the areas of concern.
We love to provide students an intership opportunity at our hotel, however, we need to train them about what to do and not to do with teir I-phone.
May I ask you for another opportunity to be our guest and show you that your feedback made a difference.
Best wishes,
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

I recently attended a family event in W-S. While making the reservation via telephone, the person stopped me in the middle of receiving my credit card number to yell at a hotel--- guest" Y'all look good tonight!" Then told me she had to do this because they really looked good. Secondly, upon arrival, we were assigned to a room where the refrigerator was broken. After requesting another room and going to the entrance at the end of the building, we found the door was propped open with several employees sitting outside smoking. This was after 12:00AM. This type of behavior continued throughout our stay. Although the staff was friendly, this is not professional atmosphere. Finally, although they advertise as being a pet friendly hotel, this is not a hotel that has learned how to support travelers with pets. There is a great deal of training that could be done in these areas to make this hotel outstanding in service.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dear guest:
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for providing feedback. This is a very powerful way for myself, management and staff to understand areas we are doing well and areas where we have work to be done. We truly strive to meet and exceed your expecation and I am sorry to hear that we failed.
I will share your comments with the staff and include it in our training program. Your comments made a difference. May I invite you to come back to our property and let me show you that we can in deed do a good job.
Safe travels,
Mike G
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

The hotel staff could not be more accommodating. If you have any issues at all, they are right on top of it. The hotel offers a hot breakfast in the morning and have a restaurant and bar within the hotel, which has decent food. The hotel also has a very nice sized swimming pool and an amazing spa on premise. But again, what makes this hotel so unique is their staff. They are very friendly and courteous.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
FamilyManBahama, Owner at Winston Salem Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 20, 2012

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I recently traveled to Winston Salem for my family reunion. The hotel was alittle difficult to find but once we found it, it immediately felt like home. We arrived earlier than check in time but the front desk clerk Latrice was a just terrific!!! She worked us in, gave us information about the area and was just very accomadating. Latrice is truly and asset to your company! The hot breakfast was another good thing the hotel offered. The room was comfortable and clean though quite small. I will def. be staying here again whenever in Winston Salem!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

On the website, picture are nothing like it looks. The ice machines do not work. Wash machines are only partially working. Bugs such as ants and roaches were a real issue. Breakfast is the same daily. No waffles. Got a smoking room, which I do not smoke. Had to get spray and air freshener to cut the smell. I'm here for over a month due to business with the government. If not for this fact I would never pay money out of pocket to stay here. Read the other recent review before deciding. I'd avoid this place.

• Stayed August 2011
Dear Guest:
First of all – thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking time in writing your review. We love to hear from you, our guest, because it provides us with an opportunity to find out where we have met or exceeded your expectations and where we need to improve. Every review will be shared with the relevant staff including me, the owner and management. Your comments will be used to prepare a corrective action plan. I assure you we all listen carefully. This is the only way to reach our goal of meeting and exceeding your expectations.
For the issues and areas where we failed I am truly sorry and I apologize.
Please call me to when making arrangements for a future trip and I will make it my business to point out the corrective action we have taken.
Again – thank you for your review
Mike G
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Great staff- friendly and extermely helpful - Latricia at the front desk was always informative and did everything possible to make my stay enjoyable. I even got a ride to a play I was late for by one of the employees! Great room - clean, comfortable. I wiil defintely stay here when I come back to the Black Theatre Festival in 2013.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

919 215-9372

Been to Winston Salem Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!