“Great downtown hotel, clean & friendly” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Winston Salem
NC
“Great downtown hotel, clean & friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

I've stayed at this hotel 5 times during the past 18 months (one night each stay) and it has been consistenly great. As another reviewer said "it's the way all Marriott's used to be". The rooms are updated, clean, and quiet - w/ great Bath & Body Works toiletries and the staff is courteous and professional. Also, the valet service is quite fast in the mornings!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Chandler, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2009

This Marriott is located one block away from the Stevens Center for the Performing Arts in downtown Winston-Salem. Service in the hotel is second to none, hearkening back to the way ALL Marriotts used to be. Every single person who works here seems genuinely thrilled to talk to you.
Rooms: I was in a single King on the ninth floor. The rooms have undergone obvious recent cosmetic improvements. Bedding is plush, fluffy and comfortable. Mattress was excellent. Great big windows, and great views of the city. Hi-speed internet worked well, and was free.
Hallways / Public areas were well maintained, although housekeeping was a bit noisy, generally employing the "knock first, wake the guest up, apologize later" gambit so popular in large hotels. WE KNOW you have a lot of rooms to clean...but the next time you wake me up EIGHT MINUTES before my alarm with 30 seconds of keycard tapping on my door, I'm gonna flip out.

Only one major complaint - my breakfast in the downstairs restaurant was horrible. Others in my group said the rest of the food was super, though. Hollandaise sauce was mostly salt. Bleh.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2008

I was scheduled for a business trip to visit the Wake Forest University Baptist Hospital and wanted to stay in a nice hotel that was withing a few minute drive.

I was told by co-workers that the Marriott in Winston-Salem was a great place to stay- and they were correct! Everyone there is very friendly and helpful. The room was extremely comfortable and I slept like a baby. I loved the Bath & Body Works products in the bathroom. The Orange Ginger scent was heavenly.

In all, I had a great stay and I'll be sure to book there again when I am in town.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Auburn, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2008

We decided to go to Winston Salem at the last minute because of weather on the coast. We wanted to wee Renolda which is the home of the Winston family. Our first choice hotel, a Holiday Inn Express looked dismal when we pulled up to check in so we bailed and called old reliable, a Marriott's. We were not disappointed. Our room was clean and the hotel was very nice. Service was good as expected. We paid $157 for the one night and were happy to do so. You can't go wrong here. Dinner was room sercvice because we arrived late. Salads were generous and the meals more than adequate. Dinner for 2 with no alcohol was $47.40.

• Liked — Up to Marriott standard
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
west chester, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2008

My stay at the Winston-Salem Marriott was great. Comfy beds and pillows, clean bathroom and super toiletries, and quiet halls at night.

Room service on the first night was prompt and friendly. And my finished tray was removed within minutes of my putting it outside my door. This is a big plus, because I've stayed in places where congealed food is still right outside the door when I get up the next morning.

Free wireless internet access worked great.

My only complaint is that the menu should include some low-salt, minimal sauce entrees (steamed veggies).

• Liked — Comfortable rooms, connectivity to convention center
  • Disliked — elevators seemed wonky at times.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Frederick, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

I booked this hotel since it had a special price for the 3rd annual Winston-Salem Wine Festival. It was a fantastic price for a Marriott, however I was initially concerned because I had not been to downtown W-S and wondered what it would be like. As it turned out W-S is really revitalizing (along with the entire Piedmond/Triad area since the downfall of the textile industry) and the downtown is a pleasant place to be, even at night. It was a great location, just one block up and one block over from the festival.

Upon arrival, I was instantly greeted and treated very first-class. The front desk staff were cheerful, pleasant, and helpful. They said if there was anything that I needed to just let them know.

When I opened the door to my 14th floor room, I was pleasantly surprised by how plush the room was decorated in golds and reds and feather/down comforters -- very regal/royal-looking! The room was comfortable and I heard little noise from the street below. The sunset over Pilot Mountain was serene. My room had a place in the cabinet for a mini-fridge but there was no fridge for my cooler of drinks. Since it was only a one-night stay, I did not even ask about it and made do without it.

My room was controlled by a thermostat, which automatically turned on the heat or AC depending on what temp. it was set to relative to the temp. of the room. The heat/AC came on/off just like the furnace at home (unlike some hotels wherein the heat/AC unit continually blows air the whole time drying out the room and your sinuses). So, I slept very comfortably here.

The staff were a little lacking in knowledge about restaurants/bars/clubs in the immediate vicinity, but were more than willing to look them up to check the dress code, entertainment for the evening, specials, etc.

Immediately across the street is the self-parking garage ($6 per day, payable by cash or credit card), which is also the location for the Downtown Police Bike Patrol station. Several bike patrols were seen at night and, as a single woman, I felt very comfortable downtown. I asked several policemen about their views of downtown and they all said it was much better downtown at night that at the mall.

I am already planning to attend the same event and stay at this same hotel next year!

• Liked — proximity to restaurants/bars/clubs downtown and Police Bike Patrol Station located across the street
  • Disliked — While the staff was very courteous and helpful, they lacked knowledge about area restaurants/bars/clubs
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Waxhaw, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2008

This hotel was just wonderful. The entire experience from check in to check out was great. The hotel is very pretty, but the best thing about it is the staff. Every employee was helpful, and seemed happy to help with whatever we needed. The room was very clean, but beds were so comfortable and the bathroom was roomy and clean, clean, clean. We ate two meals there. Dinner was the best food I've ever had in a hotel restaurant, and we were a party of about 16, and didn't come to the restaurant until 9:30 PM and the staff was helpful and happy to serve us. We also ate breakfast there, and they had a wonderful buffet (it was on a Sunday morning) but you could also order from a menu. We used valet parking ($12) just because we had a lot of "stuff" and I didn't want to haul it all across the street, but there is a parking garage right across the street and it is $6 a day. The staff was also happy to give us good, clear directions to where we needed to go. We travel alot on weekends to dance competitions, and this was the best hotel we have been to in a long time. I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone - we hated to leave.

• Liked — Comfortable beds and service from the staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Marriott Winston-Salem? Share your experiences!