“Great for Business Travel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Winston Salem
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Great for Business Travel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stood at the Marriott on a business trip at the beginning of June and found the hotel to be very good for the purposes. The staff is friendly, the breakfast is very good and the parking is adequate enough.

I don't know if there is a bad view in the hotel. It is right in the heart of downtown and you can see all of the major buildings and skyscrapers from the windows. While Winston-Salem doesn't boast the biggest downtown in the world you get a very special feel for it from the hotel.

I agree with some of the other reviewers in that the hotel's fixtures are a bit dated. For some reason it really didn't bother me all that much as it reminded me of summer vacations when I was younger with my family then either needing an upgrade or being on a business trip!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My gripes with the hotel probably aren't all that big, but the little things will eventually add up into a rather pedestrian experience, which is not what I expect when I go to a FS Marriott.

The room itself was fine, what you'd expect at any other FS Marriott. The hotel has a dated look to it, could use a refresh. Check-in was quick and easy. Service was pleasant.

So here are the gripes: air conditioner didn't work in my room. I don't use a lot of hotel services, so I put more emphasis on the room. Having an uncomfortable night of sleep due to the lack of air conditioning sucks.

Concierge lounge was closed, which is understandable because it was the weekend. There must have been some kids event going on, because before it was closed, there were kids being herded in and out of the lounge like cattle. Wouldn't surprise me if they closed off access to keep everyone out. When it is closed, I'm used to having the hotel provide breakfast to compensate..didn't get that here.

I still get to pay for parking even though all the other decks are opened up on the weekend..maybe the deck is at a prime location, or something. I understand this may be outside the hotel's control..for those of you visiting, if you want to avoid the parking fee, park a few blocks down.

All those things combined just soured my experience, and I'm sure that if I return to stay here, that the next stay won't be so bad. Nevertheless, I get the idea that I can get the same or better experience at a different property for a better price, so I'll be looking at other properties the next time around.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
austin texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We got rooms at the Marriott at an extremely discounted rate by bidding online. I rarely use blind bidding as the hotel usually puts you in the worst possible room! We got two great rooms at the Marriott and had a very nice view of the city and the distant mountains. The employees there could not have been nicer. Every person we encountered was friendly,competent, and helpful. The room was very comfortable and the location in downtown Winston-Salem is great. There are many restaurants within a block or two, nice bars and coffee shops too. It is a lively street scene and a safe downtown neighborhood. Hotel parking is very convenient and the cost is much lower than usual for a downtown hotel.

Room Tip: North side has nice views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I'll confirm pretty much what most of the other reviews on this hotel say - hotel itself is average, nothing spectular but also nothing wrong with it - good business hotel. Nice bar & excellent breakfasts. Staff also very friendly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is a nice business center hotel. Located downtown it is walking distance to most places. Marriott always has the best pillows and this was no different. There were a couple of down sides the sheets on the bed were very itchy and the room temp never got to the point I turned it down to. The service is great. Valet, front desk, and room service are some of the best of any hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Wedding in W-S caused us to stay here. The people here are extremely friendly and try hard to please. The urban coastal parts of the US could learn from them. However, the hotel was depressingly dated, metal, synthetic and worn. Beyond that, if you need a bed - they have beds.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
MarriottManagerWS, Front Office Manager at Marriott Winston-Salem, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for your patronage and your kind words about our staff. We truly strive to show every guest how much we appreciate him or her. I do hope that you will be able to visit us again in the future, particularly after we complete our renovation this year. We are excited to provide our guests with a refreshed, modern hotel in our convenient downtown location.
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is average at best. The valet service was good and fast. Check in seemed to go smoothly until I arrived at my assigned room and the keys would not work. Called the front desk from the house phone on my floor to ask for assistance and was told someone would be right up. I waited about 10 minutes for someone to show up to help at which point I went back to the lobby since it seemed silly to wait any longer. The front desk clerk gave me new keys which did work.

The free Internet in the hotel is so slow that it is essentially useless and therefore makes this hotel not a business friendly location.

The location is great in downtown and there are several bars and restaurants in walking distance.

Overall I might stay here again but this could be a very nice hotel if the service and Internet were improved.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your review about our Winston Salem Marriott. We want every guest to experience the exemplary service that we are known for, and I am truly sorry that we failed to provide you with a perfect experience. We would love to further discuss your stay. At your convenience, please call 336-725-3500 and speak to the Manager on Duty so we can address these concerns.

Been to Marriott Winston-Salem? Share your experiences!