“Great Location in Heart of Winston-Salem” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Winston Salem
va
“Great Location in Heart of Winston-Salem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Having stayed closer to Wake Forest in past, this was a last minute reservation to move our son once again back to campus.. Although on a map it is farther away than some other hotels, the location in the heart of Winston-Salem makes it perfect! There are many restaurants within walking distance (something the hotels close to Wake lack), and the valet service made parking a breeze. Although the hotel lobby and hallways were rather arctic and it took sometime to get the room temp up to a comfortable level, it was unusually cool this week-end. Our room was in lovely condition, we had a spectacular view of the city and we will be back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jen P, General Manager at Marriott Winston-Salem, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Our Winston Salem Marriott IS at the center of it all and we are glad you enjoyed your time here. My favorite is the arts district out the back door on Trade Street. Downtown Winston Salem does have a great culinary arts district on 4th. We do hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

This is one of my worst hotel experiences for an "upscale" hotel. Humid, musty rooms, uncaring front desk and concierge lounge attendants and worst of all, horribly slow elevators. I waited 20 minutes tonight, in a line tonight to get on an elevator to get to my floor. Just the worst!

Next time I'll stay at the Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Jen P, General Manager at Marriott Winston-Salem, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Our Winston Salem Marriott is known for our attention to detail and our hospitality. Your comments are very surprising as we do not normally hear such complaints. Certainly I agree it is not acceptable and we are so sorry you had such a bad stay. I would love to make it up to you if I can or get more details so we can continue to improve. Please call me at 336-345-9779 if you are able.
Warm Regards,
Jen
North Caroline
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We were here with the family for a tennis event and we loved the location of the hotel. It was close to everything we needed including Haynes Park and even the Winston Salem Open. The hotel it self is a typical Marriott so it's clear and well kept. The staff is professional and helpful as usual.

Some other info:

My room thermostat (I believe) had some type of motion sensor or something that was triggered if the room was occupied. So I think it shut down the air condition when you are not in the room. Well that is quiet annoying on a summer day to walk into your room where you have set the temperature to a comfortable setting and it's really warm and musty. I wish they would not do that. The HVAC system is quiet loud as well so if you are a light sleeper it might be disruptive.

Parking is not free and we used the valet service. I think that is the most effective given the downtown location. I don't think I would really like to park it myself.

Overall I would say this was a good stay and I would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: I think the higher the better. You get an awesome view of the city. We were on the 18th floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jen P, General Manager at Marriott Winston-Salem, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Our Winston-Salem Marriott was proud to host the Tennis Tournament this year and we are glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. Thank you for the feedback about the HVAC thermostats. I see how that energy saving feature does not work for hot days. We certainly will adjust. Hope to see you again, maybe for next year’s tournament.
Marstons Mills, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed at the hotel with a bunch of college friends, so to have a bed was a great thing. The hotel is located right in the heart of the city, and is located next to cheap parking. Although I didn't go in the pool, I was told it was only four feet deep (although, it is also located on the third floor). When I walked in the room, I noticed that it was very cool (although, I have noticed keeping rooms between 66-68 in the state), and this might have been to hide the fact that the room was extremely damp (although, it could have just been a broken air conditioning unit). Other than that, it is very business-oriented, and I would recommend this to anyone who would be planning on conducting a conference there.

Room Tip: It's 18 stories (one of the tallest buildings in the city), so the higher you are, the better yo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Jen P, General Manager at Marriott Winston-Salem, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
The Winston-Salem Marriott does have a great view from the top rooms overlooking Pilot Mountain and Wake Chapel or a nice city view of the BB&T building, Wells Fargo and RJR. We appreciate your comments about the halls being too cold and have made corrections to make it more comfortable. We hope to see you again.
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

This nice Marriott is in the heart of Winston-Salem's downtown, across the street from the convention center. It's a newer building in great condition with a terrific staff. I would absolutely stay here again--in fact, it'll be hard to get me to stay anywhere else in this area.

We had some iffy travel connections, and I got two emails from hotel staff before I arrived assuring me that the reservation would be good. How often does that happen?

Room Tip: Rooms face north and south. Downtown views are south.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Our Winston-Salem Marriott takes pride in our southern hospitality and we will celebrate with our team the wonderful compliment you made about them. We hope to see you again.
any where, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Lovely accommodations. Very handy to downtown activity. We walked a few blocks to a free
concert last night, which was very pleasant and I'm NOT a walker! Very nice staff with helpful suggestions when asked.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Winston-Salem Marriott is right next to the arts district where music on trade is located. It’s one of my favorites too; so glad you were here to see it. We hope to see you again.
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Upon arrival we were happy to find the hotel to be centrally located and the staff to be very friendly and for the most part helpful. We also met our first peeve, the lobby.
While clean and large the space is simply frigid. I mean freezer, teeth chattering cold!
I understand the necessity of AC in North Carolina in the summer but this was ridiculous bordering on thermal shock...

A few lamp shades over the sconces in the hallway near my room had been bashed in and never re-shaped which is something you don't want to see as you check-in to this kind of hotel because it is a tell tale sign of a lack of attention to detail from the managerial staff and unfortunately they proved me right.

The room was comfortable but not worth it's 100+ dollar price tag. When I pay this kind of money I expect to find a pristine room and this was not the case. The AC vent was ajar because a screw had loosened exposing an unclean system full of lint.
The desk chair was tearing at the seems and most importantly the bathroom had fingerprints all over the surfaces and wet hairs from the previous guest stuck to the ceiling and the back of the bathroom door.
When I informed housekeeping of the situation they assured me they would rectify the situation immediately... Three phone calls later on my part and the situation was never corrected. I even received a fourth call from Customer Service to make sure the work had been done, when I told them it had not they also promised to follow up... They never did.

Overall it must be said this was an ok and for the most part pleasant stay.
However and from a business traveller's stand point this hotel may have once been a quality destination but if this particular Marriott continues on this slope the only thing left approaching quality will be the prices of the rooms. Which are not worth what is offered anymore.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Our Winston-Salem Marriott is known for its attention to detail and southern hospitality. Based on the comments you shared, we failed to provide that experience for you. We have shared the comments with the staff and improved the room you stayed in the same day you shared them with us. Again I am so sorry we did not make a good impression. It’s not what we are about and nor do we normally hear or see the problems you encountered. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Please call me at 336-725-3500.

Been to Marriott Winston-Salem? Share your experiences!