“Friendly but slightly lacking ” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #21 of 36 Hotels in Winston Salem
“Friendly but slightly lacking ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The room was clean and stocked. The Internet was slow and the gym was down for "maintenance" during the entire length of our stay. However, the staff was friendly and real eggs and bacon were served during breakfast. Altogether, it was a nice hotel.

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
mis9
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2014

I reserved a room at Holiday Inn. I made reservations for wrong days. I was one week off. When asked to move dates one week, they refused. The hotel was 100% reserved for both dates and kept my deposit which was 100% of entire stay over $650. Hotel then threatened to call police if I offered my room to a guest in my place for free.

WARNING If you don't follow the Holiday Inn policy they keep your entire deposit that is 100% of cost of room. US Airlines and Hertz both understood the mistake and changed the date of services without any hesitation. I have stayed at Intercontinental Hotels all over the world, but never again.

Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Lynn S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem Downtown West, responded to this review, October 15, 2014

I wanted to apologize for any inconveniences that occurred during your stay with us. This type of behavior is unacceptable and has been brought to the attention of our management team.
I do hope you choose to stay with us again in the future and that we are able to correct any past issues that have happened to you and any future guests you have that stay with us.
Suffolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2014

Very good breakfast with fresh fruit, sausage, pancakes, creals etc. Room was comfortable and clean, towels were better than most Holiday Inn Express's. Location is beside a Panera, across with hospital. Just a short drive to Wake Forest. Not elegant but clean, quiet, and decent food.

Work equipment is not great but was plenty for our needs. No hot tub. They were cleaning the carpets while we were there, so I can tell you the carpets in the rooms were recently cleaned. Ours was still wet, but at least it was clean!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your 4-star review APrettyLittlePark!

Our breakfast is one of the many amenities Holiday Inn Express Downtown West offers to our guests. The location is very ideal for any of our travelers since we are so close to dining and entertainment.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and do hope to see you again in the future.
Morrison, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2014

A very clean older property, nicely maintained and quiet. Great breakfast, extremely friendly and helpful staff members. I reserved a king bed room but got a room with two double beds (50" wide). Their "High Speed" internet is anything but high speed. I stayed there two days and could never keep a connection. I measured the speed several times on a website that provides that info, their connection speed is 0.1 MPS while the national average is 20 MPS. Their "High Speed" is comparable to dialup via 56K modem.....don't expect to use their internet for any kind of productivity.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback SilverEagle2014,

We are diligently working on amending our internet service. I apologize for the inconvenience of the internet not being up to your standards. I will make sure my General Manager is aware of the issue and we will do our best to rectify it.
Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

A last minute weekend pageant required me to book a hotel room for a couple of nights in Winston-Salem, NC. Using points I was able to find a relatively nice property available near the convention center large enough for myself, my wife and daughter participating in the pageant. The exterior looked nice and was located near the hospital with easy in/out access. The attendant wasn't particularly attentive upon check-in listening to music and talking on his phone but was friendly after walking over to us. No upgrades or extras were presented which was somewhat disappointing as a long-term platinum member.

The room was ok and bed was actually extremely comfortable but was very dusty with cobwebs in the corner of the windows and popcorn kernels on the floor in-between the bed. What I couldn't get past however was the hideous carpet - extremely aged and worn with the ability to turn white socks a much darker color. Talking with another guest confirmed the same issue the next morning. I would have asked for another room but it was already late and we were very tired. The breakfast buffet the next morning was very good and helped alleviate some of the initial booking remorse thankfully.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Lynn S, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem Downtown West, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
Thank you for your feedback Steven T. I apologize for the inconveniences that occurred during your stay. I will have our maintenance team and housekeeping team know about these issues. This is unacceptable seeing as we uphold a very strong belief in the importance of cleaning and paying attention to detail. I do hope that we are able to accommodate you again in the future as well as ensure a better quality of stay.
Boone, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

We originally stayed here because it's so close to the hospital. We are from out of town, but had surgery with complications here, which meant we needed to come back many times.
But, we came back because it's a nice hotel with a great price and wonderful staff.

In truth, the carpet could be updated, but the rooms are nice and very clean (except for the carpet, which has seen better days).

Several restaurants in the shopping center next door and very convenient to the highway.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback! We have a large advantage of being a walk away from Wake Forest Baptist Hospital and Novant Health. I am glad we were able to assist you and your fellow guests during your stay.
Southfield, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We enjoyed our stay very much! The free breakfast was a winner, esp with our sons! The hotel was clean and very convenient to the downtown area. We enjoyed the pool and the fitness center was small but nice. We would def stay here again.

Room Tip: get a room on the top floor. very quiet