“Home like feeling” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #21 of 36 Hotels in Winston Salem
“Home like feeling”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011 via mobile

This hotel is amazing. Excellent service, clean rooms, friendly, etc. I would love to stay here as long as I can. Angel and crew are very awesome helping you with all your need. Very professional staff. I would recommend anybody to stay here. Two thumbs up!

• Stayed December 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

The name is a misnomer. I did not have a map of Winston-Salem, so I drove downtown and gave them a call. The staff had no idea how to get from 2nd & Main Streets to the hotel. It turned out to be about 3 miles from downtown, near Wake Forest Hospital.

The hotel itself was very nice (although you can't open the windows), and the room was fully equipped with fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The breakfast buffet left a little to be desired. The scrambled eggs were soggy, and there were only two regular tables--all the rest were low tables next to easy chairs, more like a lounge, than a breakfast room.

For a place to eat nearby, try Buena Vista Grille on Stratford Road, only about 1/3 mile away (you can walk if you're adventurous).

Room Tip: The freeway is on the north side, so the rooms on the south side are probably quieter. I had a nort...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
dalton, ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

Made reservations online requesting adjoining rooms both with double beds. The hotel never got my request and worked hard to accommodate my request on the 2nd and 3rd night of our stay. Staff very nice and helpful. Lobby is nice but the place definitely is worn but very clean (based on four separate rooms that I saw). Apparently most of the guests are there because of the hospital down the block. Conveniently located to restaurants, shops and Old Salem. Breakfast has large selection but typical of every other hotel that serves complimentary breakfast with room.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
OwenC2, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem Downtown West, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
I would like to thank you for your recent stay with us, and thank you for sharing your kind comments on this site. We strive hard for great service, and yes, Wake Forest Baptist is right across the street, but we cater to all types of travelers!

I am glad you enjoyed breakfast too. We have it all covered, and now we just added pancakes to our buffet line!
Thanks again
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

The staff was efficient and friendly. The breakfast buffet was great. Location superb for visiting the area. The room was very clean. However the Inn was a little warn and could use refreshing of some of the finishes. For the prepaid price of $80.99 per night for a king room, overall a good value.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Skinnona,

Greetings, and thank you for your recent stay with us and thank you for taking the time to express your comments on this site! I am glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and you found our staff to be very hospitable. I truly feel its the people who work here, is what brings the guest back again and again

Thanks again,
tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

Stayed here as it is a block away from the hospital which we needed to be close to. Due to the elevator looking a little dated and being creaky, I can assume that it has been around for awhile but our room must have been updated as it was nice and modern and did not show signs of wear. A few places in the hall had some signs of wear but overall the hotel looks very nice. The lobby area where breakfast is served is nice. Breakfast was standard for Holiday Inn Express. Beds very comfortable. No complaints. The best place to stay if you need to be by the hospital.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Greetings again

Your title of your stay with us: I couldn't of said it any better! We are quite proud of our reputation in town, and also have perfect location for people here visiting family/ friends at either Wake Forest Baptist Hospital, or Forsyth Hospital, we have a lot to offer. Guests also love the courtesy shuttle to and from the hospitals as well

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and thank you for staying with us. We take great pride in the fact that 35% of our guests are repeats. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Winston Salem
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011 via mobile

I typically stay at Hilton Brand & Marriott brand hotels. My company happened to book this hotel for me & when I saw Holiday Inn on my itinerary I was a bit skeptical. When I arrived at this hotel I was pleasantly surprised. The lobby is very nice, as well as the hallways & rooms. Definitely meets my hotel snob standard!

• Stayed November 2011
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

Stayed here for four nights, visiting family. Could not believe that my room wasn't cleaned until the last day of my stay. I DID take the do not disturb sign off my door @ eleven a.m. every morning, only to return to a dirty room at the end of the day. I spoke to front desk numerous times and was assured it was "in the log," but to no avail. I did

Stayed here for four nights, visiting family. My room wasn't cleaned until the last day of my stay?!? I DID take down the "do not disturb" sign @ eleven a.m. every day, only to return to a dirty room every night. The front desk assured me that my complaints were "in the log," but to no avail. I DID try to speak with the GM, Chris Owen, but was told he was on the phone. With the exception of Angela and James(?), who were outstanding, it seemed the rest of the front desk staff needed a refresher course in communication and customer service. A clean room should be a given at any hotel. The fact that I was treated differently, and poorly, at this property suggests a diversity training issue as well. Will never stay here again.

try to speak with GM, Chris Owen, but was told he was on the phone. Angela and James(?) were outstanding, but the rest of your front desk staff, not to mention your housekeeping supervisor, seem to be in urgent need of

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Greetings!

I was saddened to hear of your review, and sad to hear we let you down. I thank you for your stay with us, and thank you for sharing your comments about your stay with us

We strive to bring great service to all guests, and realize with a 24 hour operation, guests have different needs at different times of the day. I am very sorry if we seemed to not communicate with you more effective manor
Hotel General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem Downtown West? Share your experiences!