“I don't know why I never thought of this!” 5 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Winston Salem
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Delaware, Ohio
“I don't know why I never thought of this!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

For some reason, I have always equated the Residence Inns as long term stay places. (which they are!) But I never gave a whole lot of though about using it as a stopping place for over night. You see, we travel with teens. They will not, nor will I ask them to share a bed. That leads us to having to book separate rooms to make sure everyone is comfortable. Imagine how very please I was (and the kids) to walk into the room and find it to be a small apartment. We were blown away by how comfortable, clean and efficient the place was. The people who work there were so genuinely kind to us. We didn't lack for service in any way. We go to South Carolina every year. This WILL be our stopping point going forward. Where else are you going to get anything like this that is clean and comfortable for arount $150.00. We have been getting seaparate rooms that have cost us that much each!

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues, it would be good to request a lower suite so you don't have to clim...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I've stayed here twice, in 2011 and 2012. The hotel is being worked on, and some of the rooms are not rentable. The biggest problem is parking; the construction crew has appropriated at least 1/3 of the spots! But the rooms are nice, and the hotel is being upgraded.

The rooms are your standard Residence Inn design; all the rooms are one large suite, no doors. Each room I've seen has a desk with Lamp and chair, a sofa bed, a coffee table, a king bed, a full kitchen with table and three chairs, a TV (Not HD) on a chest of drawers, two large closets, an ensuite sink and dressing area, and a medium-sized, separate bathroom for the toilet and shower (I like to call these "Water Closets"). The W/C has lots of good lighting, exhaust, and a heat lamp, but just one towel rack and NO shelves! Shelves would be handy in keeping my toiletries away from my two-year-olds.

Honestly, the room last year was a little dingy, and it's obvious that they've upgraded a lot. Still, it's an R.I. with lots of foot traffic. The handle to our terrace was half snapped off, there's some extra caulk around the bathroom because to cover settliing cracks, but it really looks like they're trying to keep the place up.

They appear to be upgrading the terraces, which exist on every room, with Trex flooring and railings. I think the terraces are great, very secure, but no seating out there.

I notice that they'll shop for you, so if you are here a while on business that might work for you. The full-size kitchen (Fridge, microwave, Oven and DW) is really great with two kids.

This is a completely non-smoking hotel.

I like it. I'd stay here again. It's roomy, the staff is friendly and helpful, and they have WiFi.

Breakfast included. Nothing to write home about, but the scrambled eggs were good, and the food was fresh. All the usual carbs: Waffles, bagels, muffins, cereal, oatmeal, bananas, as well as apples, yogurt, and some really rubbery sausage. But mostly good food.

Room Tip: Near Wake Forest University and lots of shopping. Near Pepsico and Sara Lee HQs.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dana Point, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Recently spent two weeks at this hotel and was completly disappointed.
The hotel is undergoing major renovation, but that doesn't account for the filthy conditions and poor property management. The property is not well maintained, the hot tub doesn't work, the in room movies don't work. Managment doesn't return calls to guests. The room was FILTHY with spiders everywhere. I had an upper unit (621) with a patio that was so rotted and dirty and covered with spiders that I'm surprised no one has been hurt.
Then to top it off housekeeping apparently stole my girl friends jewlery out of her jewlery box. It was all cosmetic jewlery, but still stealing from guests should never happen.
I would not receommend this hotel to anyone, and I hope that Marriott corporate can get involved to either discontinue affiliation or somehow make this hotel come up to Marriott Residence Inn standards.

Room Tip: Stay away from this place..
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Ridgeville, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed at this Residence Inn recently and we were thoroughly disappointed. The hotel room wasn't clean, there were spider webs (with spiders). I expressed my disappointment but I was told it was being rennovated and unfortunately all guests can't get one of the rennovated room so BEWARE. The pictures shown were definitely not the unit we stayed in and the nightly rate didn't reflect a sub standard room.

This hotel didn't not live up to my expectations of a Residence Inn.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

My wife & I recently stayed at the Mariott Residence Inn in Winston-Salem, N.C. This hotel was perfdect for us during our stay. WEe were checked in by Brittany, who was very helpful & friendly to us. Actually, all of the staff we encountered were efficent, friendly & helpful. Our room was a little dated, but was perfect for our 5 day/4 night stay. We used the hotel as a base from which to visit all of our local destinations. My Mother & sister also had a room there and were more than pleased with the accomodations. Our room had a "mini-kitchen" as well as a desk/counter and a sofa with a fold-out bed. We would definately stay here again.
p.s.: the breakfasts and socials were great!!

Room Tip: If you are handicapped or traveling with an elderly or handicapped person, the rooms in the southeas...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Lorain, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed four nights. The staff was friendly and the free breakfast was sufficient. It was in a good location close to the coliseum, shopping centers and grocery stores. I'm very finicky about a clean bathroom and kitchen and ours was up to par. Unfortunately, a friend who also stayed there at the same time had a bathroom where the tile was buckling in the shower. I'd stay again.

Room Tip: Studios on the second floor are quieter and the bathrooms are in better shape.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I have made several business trips to North Carolina and have found the Residence Inn is the most friendly staff and clean accomodations. The grounds are maintained with great amenities. Austin (front desk) is helpful and friendly. Cynthia (evening reception) welcomed me after a long day at work and makes me feel at home. Betty and Theresa do a great job at breakfast and are also very friendly. Brittany and Janelle are very accomodating and want to make sure my stay is enjoyable.

Helps me to feel like I am at home!
thanks
Marie Newcom

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn Winston-Salem University Area? Share your experiences!