“No free lunch” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 39 hotels in Winston Salem
U.S.
“No free lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

Stayed here recently, enjoyed the room, the staff was nice, everything was clean, etc.
However, since when is breakfast at a Courtyard $8.95? I was surprised that the only breakfast available was the hot breakfast at $8.95 per person. I am curious if the Marriott chain is okay with this local policy. Not a pleasant surprise for me to add at least $18 per day to our costs (total for two of us) just for breakfast.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

91 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

I spent two nights at this hotel and am pleased to report that it meets the good standards of the Marriott chain. The front desk staff was very friendly, as were the waitresses in the hotel restaurant.
I had a room on the 4th floor overlooking the pool, which also borders highway I-40. Despite this close proximity to the highway, I did not notice much traffic noise unless I opened the door to the room's balcony. In addition, the hotel has done a good job landscaping to significantly block the view of the highway.
My room was comfortable: new king size bed, desk, loveseat, and ample closet and dresser space. The exercise room is quite small - 2 treadmills, a bike, and elliptical machine, but there is also an indoor hot tub and outdoor pool.
The hotel restaurant offered a good buffet breakfast which was NOT included in the room price.
The hotel is down the street from Hanes Mall and a number of casual dining establishments. It offers easy access to I-40 and Business 40. Downtown Winston Salem is within a 10 minute drive.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

I stayed there at the recommendation of my company and was happy with the hotel and the service. Breakfast was great and the staff could not have been friendlier as they remembered me the next morning. I will definetley stay there again for my next trip - make sure you have good directions if it is your first trip to the hotel - it is close to everything, restaraunts, shopping etc...just a little hard to find the first time.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Oviedo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2008

We spent two nights at this Courtyard to visit a family member who was in the nearby hospital, Forsyth Medical Center. The location was fantastic for this trip as the hospital was only 1-2 miles away and there is a mall across the street.

Our room was a one bedroom suite. It was spotless and huge! It had a full size living room with pull-out sofa and a large balcony as well as a very long counter top along the back wall with a refrigerator and microwave. It provided more than enough space to prepare snacks and meals for my 3 year old.

The bathroom was of average size, but again spotless, and it had a large counter/sink/vanity area outside the bathroom allowing multiple people to get ready for the day at the same time.

The bedroom was separated by a door, had a king bed, TV and fantastic down comforter. I slept very well on the extremely comfortable bed.

Customer service was friendly and attentive. They had construction paper and crayons at the front desk with a sign asking guests to make get well cards for a staff member's young child who was very ill and in the hospital. I gladly made one.....to me, it was a sign of a caring and thoughtful staff.

All in all, not a single complaint. I would stay there again in a heartbeat!

• Liked — The huge suite.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chattanooga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2007

Stayed one night at this Courtyard, very nice and clean hotel . The breakfast was very good , the ladies working in the restaurant were nice and gave great service. Within a quarter mile of the Winston Salem Hanes mall which also is very nice . Would stay here again if back in town.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2007

I stayed at the Courtyard because the Marriott downtown was full due to the Wake Forest/Nebraska football game. I normally stay at the Marriott when I am in town to visit my daughter at Wake Forest University. I decided to try the Courtyard because the reviews seemed favorable on trip advisor and I was desperate for a room.
The Courtyard is a very nice average hotel. It is your basic three star sububan hotel. I am giving it an average review because it is an average hotel.
The check in went smoothly and the front desk staff were very courteous. The room was clean with an updated bathroom. The bed was comfortable and I never was bothered by noise out in the hallway or in either room beside me. While staying here I used the fitness facility. It was your basic "hotel" fitness facility. I did not eat the breakfast while staying at the Courtyard, but it was served in a very nice lobby area with ample seating. It smelled good, but as I said I did not eat the breakfast.
You are probably wondering why I am not giving this hotel an excellent rating. It is because the hotel is not in a "special class" of its own like its sister property downtown. This hotel would be a great choice for a business traveler who is just passing through, or for a young family who would not be interested in staying in downtown Winston-Salem and would rather be close to the Hanes Mall and the interstate. I would definitely stay here again, but only if I could not get a room at the Marriott downtown.

• Liked — The courteous front desk staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2005

I wish I could comment on this hotel accomodations, but when we arrived, we found that they didn't have our room -- a NONSMOKING room. The need for a non-smoking room really isn't negotiable when you have a child with severe asthma, but I was told upon arrival that a my non-smoking requirement was merely a "request" to them, and they had no more non-smoking rooms. Apparently, reservations are meaningless here. Convienently, they did however have a non-smoking deluxe room or something like that for an additional $40. The lady at the front desk didn't even offer me a discounted rate for it. I left and stayed up the street at the Fairfield Inn, which had an above-average continental breakfast that included Belgian waffles and French toast. I used to stay at the Hawthorne Inn, which is a pretty good place to stay, but farther from my usual destination than the Fairfield Inn. From now on, I'll be staying at the Fairfield Inn when I go to Winston Salem.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Winston-Salem Hanes Mall? Share your experiences!