“Not for Marriott Elite Members” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Winston Salem
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not for Marriott Elite Members”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Decent hotel, but like a number of Courtyards that don't want elite members to stay by refusing free breakfast, the Hanes Mall Courtyard is in that camp. When there are numerous Marriotts brands (or other brands) in the area, why would an elite stay there with their family? Breakfast for my family each day has been $50, which would be free at the Courtyard 2 miles away.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
tandt82, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Winston-Salem Hanes Mall, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear travelalot20,
Marriott corp sets the Brands standards for each of the Brands, and 1 of the Standards set for Courtyards are the Bistro concept with an ala cart menu that the guest pays for what they choose. Courtyard Hanes Mall is in support of the Marriott Brand Standards that are required by Marriott Corp. This is a great hotel that choses to follow the rules set forth by our leadership for the consistency of the Brand. If you choose to stay at a lesser quality hotel, which gives away their food, that choice is yours. We do have several thousand Marriott Elite guests that love to stay here each year, and Love our Bistro Concept. I am sorry you feel that way, and hope that you will consider staying with us in the future.

Tom Ferrell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Black mold on ceiling in the bathroom, there was a blood spot on my pillowcase, killed 2 spiders.
..SO glad I didn't have my family with me. Counter staff very nice and at least acted suprised for me. Gave the manger a day to follow up with me and I still have not heard a word.

• Stayed November 2013
tandt82, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Winston-Salem Hanes Mall, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear Signman5,
I am truly So So Sorry if I was to get back to you, I did check with my AGM on this and she indicated that she has communicated via Email with you a few times, but if this is not sufficient and you would like to speak with me directly I would be more than happy to. My direct line is 336-760-7101. We did follow up on your concerns, and have corrected all issues that you have pointed out. I am very sorry that we did not meet you expectations, and I would love to have an opportunity to prove to you that this is a great hotel, with a great staff. Please contact me at your convenience so that I can assure you that these issues have been corrected. Thank you very much for letting us know so that we may correct these problems so they do not occur to others.
Yours in Hospitality,
Courtyard Hanes Mall
Winston Salem, NC
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed at the hotel despite the reviews. I asked about a room with a jacuzzi since it was on the website at the time. However, I was told upon checking in that no rooms have them and that the hotel had gone through a remodel. That has since been removed from their website. The rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. We stayed during a busy time for the hotel. There was a soccer event going on. Despite lots of kids in the hotel, it was still a quiet sleep. (In the future, I will be asking what type of event is going on before staying there again.) The pool is really small so don't count on too many people in it at the same time. The workout equipment was handy. Food prices in the cafe was expensive, but good thing the mall was right across the street. It's within walking distance, but there's a busy road to cross. There are also other restaurants in the area. I will say the best part of the stay was the front desk staff. When we checked in and out. They were really friendly. I had even asked to have a late check out due to an event and it was no problem. I would stay again at this hotel.

Room Tip: I stayed two doors from the elevator and there was no problem with noise. We also had a second floo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
tandt82, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Winston-Salem Hanes Mall, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear Tracy S,
Thank you for your kind words about our lovely hotel, and yes it is much better than some of the reviews we have received. I am curious as to what website you saw a Jaccuzzi, as we removed the tubs over a year ago. This hotel typically is a corporate base business during the week and yes we do have sport teams over the weekends, and every one is very happy. We are blessed with a great and caring staff. Again thank you for your comments and we look forward to having you stay with us again.

McKinney, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Last week I had the pleasure of staying at the Marriott Courtyard Hanes Mall in Winston Salem. The hotel had the updated lobby and cafe and the staff was very helpful. The hotel is located near a shopping mall and many restaurants. I recommend this hotel the next time you are in Winston-Salem.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
tandt82, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Winston-Salem Hanes Mall, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear dcalianno,

Thank you very much for your kind words you have shared with Tripadvisor about the Courtyard Hanes Mall!! We are thrilled that you have recommended our hotel to other travelers and readers of Tripadvisor, we think this is Winston Salem’s best and newest hotel. With our Bistro featuring Starbucks that is open 24/7, location to major highways, located in a Residential Park like setting, and Great Service minded staff make this hotel a great choice for business travelers!! Thanks again and we look forward to serving your needs in the future…

Province of Naples, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

The best part of this hotel was Shawn the front desk personnel who checked us in. He gave great inning advice and genuine small talk. The hotel needs to be kept up better. They have plumbing issues (too slow toilets), mold on ceiling. Did report to management.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
tandt82, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Winston-Salem Hanes Mall, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Mark and Teresa C,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us about your stay, I am sorry that the property did not meet your expectations. We are very proud of our friendly staff in Winston Salem, but I am disappointed to hear that there were issues in your room. Please contact me @ 336-760-5777, so that I may have an opportunity to correct those issues, before someone else has a less than perfect stay. We truly strive to have every guest, have a perfect stay every time. So please contact me, so that we may keep the Courtyard Hanes Mall a top hotel in Winston Salem, NC.

Thanks,
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Not sure why we keep getting places near shopping malls as we are not shoppers. This is an example of a typical courtyard-rooms might be a bit smaller, but OK. To me it's the marriott bed that I am after, and all the marriott family have them. Close enough to Winston-Salem which was a ghost town except the main drag in Winston for food. Salem buildings were great.

Room Tip: front of hotel faces a busy road, so request a room in back.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
tandt82, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Winston-Salem Hanes Mall, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear SFLollyPopCouple,

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor, and yes the mall here is the largest mall between Miami, FL and New York. On the room size they are the standard square footage required by Marriott, but we do also have 2 other room types that are a bit larger, which we would happy to upgrade our guest to , based on availability. It seems that you were here during the Labor Day Holiday and yes many of the residents do leave but there are plenty of activities still available for tourist, and our Front Desk Staff is happy to assist our guest in making arrangements. Thanks again for staying with us and your comments. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My sister and I stayed here this week because my dad was having major surgery at Baptist. Sonja at the front desk is one the nicest people I have ever met! She was compassionate about our situation and made us feel at home. When I needed to stay an extra night she was able to get us a room and checked in on my dad. We really felt like we were staying with family. It was a wonderful visit under the circumstances. Way to go Marriott for employing excellent people like Sonja, she is true professional and caring person.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
tandt82, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Winston-Salem Hanes Mall, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Ms. AmandaHarrell,

First I would like to thank you for taking the time out of your day to post such kind words about our Courtyard Hanes Mall, and yes it not only is the newest Hotel in Winston Salem, but also the most friendly staff, and Sonja leads them all. Everyone just loves Sonja. We do hope your Dad is doing well and that you come stay with us again when your travel needs bring you to this area.
Thanks,

Tom Ferrell

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Winston-Salem Hanes Mall? Share your experiences!