“They don't care.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Wilmington

You added Red Roof Inn Wilmington to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn Wilmington
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5107 Market Street, I-40 Exit US-17, Wilmington, NC 28405   |
Ranked #38 of 43 Hotels in Wilmington
Morehead City, North Carolina
“They don't care.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I checked in late one Friday night, the desk clerk was very polite, but there was a strong odor of cat urine in the room. Beyond that, the room looked clean. I went back to the front desk and asked to see a different room, but the next one had dust hanging from the ceiling in the corners and the wet dog smell was even stronger than the cat urine in the other room! Ugh!
I told the desk clerk I just wanted my money back, and I wasn't going to complain after that. I'm not an animal person, so maybe this is what people can expect if they sleep in a motel that allows pets, right? (I hope not).
Sadly this wasn't the end of the matter. I came to find out my refund didn't come through. I went back the next morning to see if someone could fax some information to my bank to authorize the refund. I needed that money to get home, and it's a simple process. Turns out, the Front Desk Manager on duty was not authorized to clear the refund (what?) and she said I'd have to wait until the Property Owner came in the next day. She told me she'd fax my info to the Property Owner and he'd take care of it from his office. I told her even though it was a weekend, my bank's customer service hours extend through the weekend and the faster he cleared the refund, the better. She nodded and said she'd call me when he sent the fax.
As I left, I saw two large dogs running around the parking lot without leashes, their owners nowhere in sight. Not safe for pet lovers at all. What if they attacked another pet? Assuming they could be good dogs, what if they got hit by a car? Like I said, I'm no animal person, but I still felt worried that something could happen to people's pets.
That afternoon, I had still received no word from her nor the Property Owner. I called and got a different desk clerk who knew nothing about my situation and insisted that banks are closed on the weekends so there was nothing anyone could do for me. Apparently she couldn't believe that my bank was so efficient. I felt like she thought I was some over-panicked idiot. She told me she'd leave a message for the Property Owner.
The next morning, the day I was to leave Wilmington, I contacted the motel again and asked for the Property Owner. He didn't come in until later that day because he was in a meeting, and when he did call me back he told me he hadn't faxed the authorization to my bank because it was the weekend. I told him the same story about my bank, once again I was made to feel like I was some desperate liar, and so I told him to just try to send it. He said he would and I thanked him.
I waited in town until for a few hours, mostly because I needed gas and couldn't go far. No word from the Property Owner.
I called him again at 4PM and he told me he still hadn't sent it. The property owner didn't give a rat's about my situation! He must've thought I was delusional about my bank's wonderful service and what they offer to their customers (unlike some)! I was upset, but I had to keep calm. No one will do anything for you unless you keep calm and stay polite. I told him I was frustrated and asked him to PLEASE, just MAKE THE ATTEMPT to fax my information to the bank and then that would be the last he would hear from me (I feel so degraded for having to resort to begging)! He complied and called me back to make sure the information was correct before he faxed it. By then, I had already left town because, luckily, my husband had his credit card. Yay debt!
I thanked him and hung up. Five minutes later, I called my bank and the refund was cleared. On a Sunday.
I've decided to go back on my word and actually speak out, and I hope he reads this. Though they seem polite, the clerks and management at Red Roof Inn in Wilmington do NOT care about their customers. I stayed at the Ramada just down the street and had much better customer service there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed here this past weekend and had to change rooms 3 times. The bathrooms were moldy and the room smelled horrible.The manager Daniel was unavailable at the time as was told he would call us. That was friday and never happened. The inappropiate activites at this hotel were horendous. Prostitutes, dogs everywhere, drug deals and a fight in the parking lot. Would never stay again

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

That is the only nice thing I can say about this hotel. I waited for the front desk person to continue arguing with a personal matter on the phone. When she finally started to check me in, there were other people waiting and she yelled out my phone number and room number a few times. Two things that were just awful for people to hear, personal information and room numbers are never to be said out loud. The woman has a very loud speaking voice and therefore everyone could hear everything...ugh. The room was dirty, carpet not vacuumed, tub had hairs and was dirty...the carpet had to be older than I am. It was musty and dated. The outside was very dirty with trash everywhere. It didn't feel safe either as there were questionable people staying there. There were a couple men that stopped at my window to look in! Jeesh...creepy and rude.

Being a vacation area, hotels are expensive here so even though I read the negative reviews my wallet prevailed. If you can go elsewhere then you should. Otherwise just be observant and alert to your surroundings. I didn't go out after dark, got in and that was it. The police were there twice during my stay, I'm not sure for what as I didn't hang around to find out.

If you can afford it then stay else where.

Room Tip: It looks like some of the rooms were updated with faux wood floors or newer carpet, I would suggest...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The room was so disgusting. There were bugs, actual balls of dust that you know had been there a while, holes in the wall, smelled like mildew, had mold in the bathtub, carpet left your feet black, etc... That is just the tip of a HUGE iceberg. The outside of the hotel is covered with trash and cigarette butts everywhere. The pool actually had band-aids and trash floating in it. One of the most out-dated and dirty places I have ever entered. In hindsight I wish I had asked for a refund shortly after checking in. Do yourself a favor and pay more money to stay anywhere else!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay at the hotel! Stay anywhere else. I can't imagine a worse room elsewhere!!!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Pet friendly, pets are free which I think is really cool, they are starting to modernize their rooms! Nice pool area, decent free breakfast, great AC and somewhat clean. Double bed rooms are not updated as of yet, the king bed supreme rooms are, plenty of ice machines for those that are not fortunate to get a mini fridge, if this is important request it! Good bang for your buck.

• Stayed August 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Room had two double beds and reservations were for four people. Only had two towels. Lots of loud kids at the pool unattended. The grounds were horrible. Parking was bad and scary. The room smelled molded and the fridge was rusted. The shower had lots of mildew. The toilet looked as if it hadn’t been cleaned in months and the floor looked dirty. Bedspread had burn holes in them. Pay a little extra somewhere else and feel safe and clean.

Room Tip: Don't book here.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
northern california
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Very disappointing hotel. The room was badly in need of paint and the shower was very moldy. However, the staff was very efficient. When we got to our room and discovered there was no TV remote, someone was there within minutes and even stayed to program it for us. The breakfast was disappointing, just some pastry and cereal for the most part,, we went to the Dunkin Donuts next door.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Red Roof Inn Wilmington? Share your experiences!