“Return Engagement” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Wilmington

You added Red Roof Inn Wilmington to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn Wilmington
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5107 Market Street, I-40 Exit US-17, Wilmington, NC 28405   |
Ranked #38 of 43 Hotels in Wilmington
Astor, FL
“Return Engagement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

We were back in Wilmington and when we are in town we have no problem staying here. As I mentioned in previous reviews we like the pet policy that Red Roof Inns have.
This property has never disappointed us. The rate is reasonable, the room is clean, the shower works very well and what I also noticed this time was how quiet the room was. Our room had a microwave and refrigerator. In the closet was an iron and an ironing board, something we had no use for but if someone need it, it was there.
The next time we are in Wilmington, we'll stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011 via mobile

Every year we do a month long road trip with our dog and this inn is in the top 3 for the worst place we ever stayed.

The good, the bed, carpet was fairly new and a lot of restaurants close by and free typical breakfast.

Major bad, the sofa was chewed up with awful stains on it. The bathtub finish was peeling off. The refrigator did not work. There was a dog show in town and the dogs were barking all night in the rooms around us and people outside yelling at 4 a.m. Yes, RRI is a lower scale inn but still this is below RRI standards which are usually a good deal. You could not pay me the $60 to stay here again. Hopefully you are smarter then me and read some of the reviews.

• Stayed October 2011
james w, Manager at Red Roof Inn Wilmington, responded to this review, December 19, 2011
I want to thank you for your recent survey and I appreciate your feedback. Tthe hotel will be going through a total refresh starting the beginning of 2012 that will address all of your concerns about the property. We have made a lot of progress in the public areas and look forward to the upgrades in the rooms. I have a great team that prides itself on customer service
Fernandina Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

The room was filthy. The phone had mildew actively growing all over it. The bottom of the bathtub was black. The handle on the shower was completely broken off. The upholstery on the chair was ripped in numerous places and grotesquely soiled. I was afraid to touch the blanket or spread. Who knows when they were last cleaned. There were only thin towel sets for two. When I went down for breakfast, the door to the juice dispenser was hanging on one hinge. The clerk said, "It's been that way forever, but it still works." The breakfast area looked unclean, so we went next door to a Dunkin Donuts. We only stayed at the Red Roof because another hotel didn't work out (another nightmare), it was late, and we have a dog. There was nothing else available in town. I've never stayed at this chain before, but can't believe all Red Roofs are this bad. I won't stay at another again, though!!

Room Tip: I can think of no reason to stay at this hotel, as there are a number of chains nearby with nicer pr...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey and i appreciate your feedback. The hotel is scheduled for a refresh the beginning of next year. Many of the rooms have been through an extensive preventive maintenance program since the new management company took over operation in February of 2007. I apologize that your room did not meet your standard but I assure you that you would have a much better experience on your next visit. If you have any questions please feel free to call me.
Raleigh, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

The good: The Red Roof in was pretty cheap for a hotel room in Wilmington in the summer. Check in clerks were quick, the hotel in conveniently located near lots of restaurants and next door to a Dunkin Donuts. The sheets in our room were clean, the room had a fridge and microwave, which was quite convenient, and they offer a free breakfast in the morning. Despite the busy neightborhood and how full the hotel was, our room was pretty quiet and we slept quite well.

The bad: The free breakfast was out of coffee so I wound up going next door to Dunkin Donuts. Some of the other guests were sketchy, such as the two guys who were standing outside their room trying to see how loud they could play hip hop music on their remote controlled stereo that they had left inside. I would not have been pleased to be in the room above or next to theirs, but thankfully we could not hear it from inside our room. And for a two bed double, they only gave us two thin, worn bath towels, two washclothes (clean ones anyway) and ONE hand towel. Why so stingy with the towels? The room could use some updating, especially the vanity. Oh, and the room came with a dehumidifier, free of charge, which was apparently necessary because once it got full the room got stuffy and humid even though the A/C was on full blast.

The ugly: When we checked in,we found a used, wet washcloth hanging from the shower rod that the housekeeping service had either not noticed or not bothered to remove, which was kind of gross. Most of the lights wouldn't turn on when we got to the room because they were unplugged, as was the clock. I had to plug them back in myself, which involved getting down on my hands and knees and moving the bed to access the plug in once instance. Also, the walls had stains and smudges on them, and a spill on the walkway and stairwell outside our room was never cleaned up. Instead the cleaning crew just loitered in front of the laundry room doing nothing. The walls had holes in it from where the hotel had removed pictures or fixtures that weren't patched over.

With a little effort patching holes and a lot more effort and attention to detail from the cleaning crew, this could be a much nicer place to stay. However, considering Wilmington is chock full of awful hotels, most of which are more expensive than this one, the Red Roof is still comparatively a good deal if you aren't terribly picky.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey. I want to apologize for the poor service that you encountered during your stay. We take all of your issues serious and have an extensive room program to maintain our rooms in top condition. The room refresh will occur in the beginning of next year. Please call me if you would like to discuss your stay.
Concord, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

We had a good time on our stay. We got a chance to do some different things this time. I always recommend the Red Roof to my friends and family. We plan to come back soon. The location is very good for the places and things we do there.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey. I share all comments with the team and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Redroof Inn Wilmington, NC.
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

A/C Unit broke upon arrival, promised us a new room but we never got one. WiFI signal extremely poor. Bottom of bathtub was completely black-so disgusting. Sofa was filthy and arm was broken on it. If you enjoy listening to barking dogs in the next room this would be a great place to stay. Housekeeping staff called in sick so our room was not cleaned.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
I apologize for the experience you had at The Red Roof Inn Wilmington, NC. This certainly is not typical of the front desk as their scores are among the highest within Independent hotels. I will make certain that I address the service issue with the department involved. The property is scheduled for a refresh and will address all of your concerns about the property. I appreciate your feedback and business and look forward to your next visit. If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to call me.
Cincinnati, OH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

This was a big let down given the other reviews on here. I had a room that was dirty, rust everywhere and a huge crack in the bathroom ceiling! It looked and felt like it was going to come down on my head! The door did not lock properly and was in bad shape. I am no building inspector, but it should be condemned. I only stayed the one night because I was dead tired from my flight. I filed a complaint with the management, but they had no concern about anything. I also filed a complaint with the head office and I am demanding my money back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback and comments. First of all we want to apologize for all of the inconvenience that you experienced during your most recent stay with us. As you can understand, the team and I are constantly working to improve our hotel at all fronts. I have spoken to some of the departments and have mentioned your situation and assure you we are making sure this doesn't happen again. Thank you again for your comments.

Been to Red Roof Inn Wilmington? Share your experiences!