“Great time!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #29 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Asheville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Ok - part of this was my fault... I needed a pet friendly hotel in Wilmington because I needed to pick up my son from a summer program @ UNCW, which is right down the road. It's not easy to find a pet friendly hotel that will take dogs that are heavier than 15 lbs. (even though 15 lbs. does not make a dog - but that's another rant!).. anyway...I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback who weighs 100 lbs. and this hotel didn't have a problem with it. In the end, I didn't need to bring the dog, but kept my reservation in any case. This would have been a bad property WITH my dog, but it was even worse WITHOUT him!!
Walked into the lobby and it reeked of mold. The guy at the front desk was friendly and nice enough. I told him that I didn't have my dog with me and he took off the $25 pet fee and gave me the key to my room. When I got off the elevator, there were about 4 workers removing the carpet from the hallway. It was a mess. Everyone was chiseling away at carpet strips, there were tacks strewn all over the hallway and crumpled up old carpets and pads thrown all over the hall. I understand they were renovating and improving, but to put guests on the same floor of this going on was just greedy. There were no other rooms available on any other floor - Ok, then it would have been smarter (on the management side..)to either disclose this inconvenience at the time that the reservation was being made, AND offer a substantial discount to guests who were willing to take a room on that floor! Really disappointing. Room was clean looking but I wasn't convinced that it actually was! Bathroom was outdated and needed renovation badly! And there was still that musty smell. Now Wilmington is near the beach but we are talking 4-5 miles! If it were on the beach, I could have overlooked the odor a little - but this property is on a busy highway and inland. So it's not okay! Also, the metal outside stairs were full of rust and the whole place just felt so seedy. We are a Wyndham member and we do a lot of car travel- all over the U.S. - we also have memberships at all the usuals (Marriott, Hilton, Sheraton, etc..) but never stayed at a Baymont Inn & Suites... In the future, I will not put blind faith in Wyndham or any other hotel company- & expect that certain standards apply to all levels of their properties. Check out each and every one and be sure that it is to your standards. My bad! The best part of this property was that they have a reasonable $25 pet fee and accept all sizes.

Room Tip: Ask if there is any construction going on before reserving. Find out if the property has been renova...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dale S, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Wilmington, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
My sincere apologies to you for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we have been at the mercy of the carpet company on the amount of time to finish the job. We had instructed our front desk to place guests on the other floors. I am so very, very sorry that this happened. Please accept our sincere apologies.

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Wilmington? Share your experiences!