“Hated to leave this place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Verandas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wilmington
The Verandas
You added The Verandas to your Saves list
202 Nun St., Wilmington, NC 28401   |
Ranked #4 of 15 Wilmington B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bonita Springs, Florida
“Hated to leave this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We just spent 3 nights at The Verandas and it was superb. Chuck was a top notch host (and chef!). He is an expert about knowledge regarding Wilmington. We cannot say enough about the Verandas. Beautiful rooms, linens and a well appointed luxury bathroom. The verandas themselves were a great place to sip a glass of wine and read a book. It is in an excellent location within walking distance of the riverwalk and nice restaurants and shops. I highly recommend this! I could not believe the value - less expensive than local chain hotels.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 2 which was at the rear of the building - very quiet!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

While researching "Hollywood East" for an upcoming travel article on film-making in Wilmington, I spent two lovely nights at The Verandas in the Historic District. My room was spacious and well-appointed, with every amenity I needed. The huge garden tub in the bathroom was ideal for relaxing after a full day of touring Wilmington. Chuck, one of the owners, prepared a lovely cooked breakfast each day -- shirred eggs on the first day and a delicious croissant baked in an egg batter with cream cheese, mandarin oranges, and a marmalade sauce on the second day -- both meals served with sausage, juice, and coffee. Each evening I enjoyed wine or sherry and freshly baked chocolate chip cookies! Chuck was the "host of hosts," willing to share information about the historic inn, local attractions, restaurants, and "Wilmywood," all the while guarding the privacy of his current and former guests, many of them associated with the film industry. I highly recommend The Verandas!.

Room Tip: All the rooms show the impeccable taste of the owners and feature antiques, comfortable beds, nice l...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Great Falls, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I spend 5 nights at The Verandas while taking a class in hat making. It really made my trip into a delightful vacation. I felt really pampered by Chuck and his staff (Dennis was away). The atmosphere was very friendly without being intrusive. There were several return visitors while I was there. It was like being at home with friends. The facilities are beautifully decorated and bright, and the rooms are quite comfortable. There is even a lovely back deck if you want to go outside to sip your wine in the evening.

The Verandas is ideally located at the edge of the historic part of town near the river, so it is not in the middle of all of the town activity where it would be noisy, but close enough to walk anywhere easily. You really don't have to use your car while you are there unless you want to drive to the ocean. Wonderful restaurants are very close by.

I have food allergies which I included in my reservation comments. Chuck contacted me right after I received my confirmation to discuss my dietary requirements, likes and dislikes. He went out of his way to have foods that I could eat and served them with great style. The breakfast served to the other guests looked absolutely wonderful and Chuck was quite willing to share recipes.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

From the moment we arrived until our reluctant departure, we were made to feel at home. Our room was spacious and elegantly appointed. Our host greeted us at the door, showed us around the beautiful first floor and shared his vast knowledge of The Verandas and historic downtown Wilmington.

Although it was a full house our first night and we met some nice folks, it was never crowded. Sitting on the back veranda in the treetops, we enjoyed a glass of wine as we looked over the beautiful garden.

It is an easy walk to downtown and the riverfront. Chuck's restaurant/pub recommendations were spot on. The breakfasts he prepared were simply wonderful.

We very much enjoyed our stay and getting to know our host. We were treated like family and appreciated the hospitality shown us. It was a perfect way to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Davidson, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We did not feel that this B and B lived up to its trip advisor rating. Our room was very dark and old. Bates hotel-ish. Not high quality old. The bathroom however was better. The cookies provided were a nice thought, but very stale, uneatable. If you do not make it for the 9am sitting for breakfast, you are not offered even coffee or OJ in the morning. The stairs are not good for older couples with heavy luggage. Walls are very thin. Heard the neighbors going at it when we were on the stair well. I would not recommend this as a romantic get away. Not a good value either.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

This is a very upscale property in the historic district of Wilmington very well restored by the current owners. Our room was beautifully furnished and very comfortable, though the air conditioning was a noisy interrupter to perfect sleep. The breakfast was good but not exceptional, as in other properties it was served round a large table and we enjoyed the conversation with other guests. I have marked the property down a bit as I didn't find it a relaxing ambience. Chuck is obviously on edge about what you may do to his property, the stipulation about red wine only being consumed on the verandas being an example. We were told coffee was available from 7.30 in the morning but when I went down for it at 7.40, I was brusquely informed it wouldn't be ready for 10 minutes and that I should have remembered it was served in the dining room. Perhaps it was an "off" day for him but in the hospitality industry you shouldn't let that show to the guests. When you are paying the prices that Verandas charge you should feel completely at ease.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Spent two nights here on Virginia / Carolina's trip. We arrived quite early and stopped by to see if we could leave cases and check in later. Nothing was a problem, just come in you are welcome.

The quality of finish and attention to detail is evident everywhere, lovely spotlessly clean, well appointed room. Breakfast (hosted by Chuck) was top class

Hosts Chuck and Dennis made us feel we didn't want to leave.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Verandas? Share your experiences!