“Right at the highway” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Budgetel Inn - Wilmington

Budgetel Inn - Wilmington
You added Budgetel Inn - Wilmington to your Saves list
Budgetel Inn - Wilmington
4903 Market Street, Wilmington, NC 28405 (Formerly Americas Best Value Inn - Wilmington)   |
Ranked #42 of 43 Hotels in Wilmington
Ronneby, Sweden
“Right at the highway”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

I don't really know why you would like to stay at this place. I booked it since it was "close" to the Greyhound bus station and I needed to stay somewhere over the night before my bus continued the next day.

As I don't have my own car, it's difficult to get around. I walked all the way to downtown, which takes around 40 minutes. There's nothing to do around this hotel, since it's right at the highway and the people stayed here seems to be a bit dodgy.

There is free WI-FI at this hotel, but it didn't work inside my room, I had to sit outside the reception to be able to use it.

The room had a TV and a big bed and everything you expect from a motel/hotel.

There is breakfast included in the room, which was OK. If I come back to this town, I would stay downtown instead.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Fribourg, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I just registered to Tripadvisor so I could warn people about this place (of course I will also make some reports about the good places we stayed but this one has priority).
Stayed in this hotel for one night end of Juli 2014 because all other Hotels or Motels in Wilmington were booked out.
Started with the price. The women at the counter told me $139 dollars for a two bed room and when I told here that's a lot she reduced it to $130. As I didn't have any choice I agreed. Big mistake, we should have rather slept in the car. I did find nothing positive to this place so here the negatives:
- We walked in on other people just like the comment before mine. The guy in the room told me I was the second to walk in that day. They gave us another room after cross checking that there really was someone in our room.
- Terrible smell in the room
- Dead cockroaches on the floor
- Stains everywhere
- Bed dirty and stinky
- Towels dirty
- Shower changing from hot to cold all the time
- Toilet didn't work, hat to fix it myself so we could flush
- No isolation, you hear everything from neighbors
- Wouldn't even try the swimming pool

Room Tip: I'm sure no room is good here
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

The women up front gave me the wrong room and I walked in on other people that had already rented the room, I would not allow my kids to swim in the pool because it was black on the edges and cloudy and wreaked of chlorine Then on top of that the internet went out for a few hours and when I called to ask about it the woman at the front desk told me to come up front and use their internet. I was in my jammies and just wanted to touch base with family. Best part...the 2 roaches I killed and no hot water at 11 at night.
I will never, ever stay here again and hope that people read this review and will find another place to vacation in Wilmington.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Orlando
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We had reservations at another hotel; however, because that hotel messed up our reservations we were left with Budgel... The only hotel in the area with vacancies.

The rooms are very dated with no sign of improvement in the near future. The carpet and comforters were both stained with what looked like blood. On the 2nd night the towels didn't look like they'd been washed.

So much for the free wifi that you have to sit out in front of your door in order to use electronic devices.

The telephones in the room didn't work. In order to contact the front desk, I had to use my cellphone.

In one of our rooms the a/c was so loud, you could hardly sleep.

We did not have hot water, the owner had to come fix it at 10:30 at night.

A little investment into the hotel would make the place worth $100/ night

• Stayed July 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

you are better off sleeping in your car or under a tree. this building should be condemned.i found the staff was unprofessional and the entire hotel was in serious need of repair.garbage under the stairs,sink clogged and completely outdated.

Room Tip: no rooms are good
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Greenville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I stayed here on a last minute visit to Wilmington when it was literally the last place in town with any vacancy. There are a lot of negative reviews for this place but I will address what I am able to say I actually experienced.

I ended up in a smoking room since that was what was left. It didn't smell too strongly but there were some ashes and a cigarette butt that a previous occupant had tossed in a corner behind the door. This hotel was built some time ago and is looking a bit careworn, could use a coat of paint in the room.

Water pressure, hot water was fine. Didn't notice any bugs in the room as other people have mentioned. This IS the south and the big brown outdoor roaches (some call them "water bugs" or "palmetto bugs") do get inside houses/hotels from time to time, anyone who has lived in the south will realize that they don't live in the building, just get in from time to time.

Staff was helpful, I didn't need much but they were able to get me my room even though the national site had not notified them that I had booked a reservation (I had booked it a few hours beforehand, they said the national office usually calls them if a last minute reservation is made).

Pool looked clean, I didn't use it as I arrived after closing time. I didn't notice "shady people lurking" as other reviewers have posted, howver I think that would be somewhat subjective. I did notice a lot of work trucks etc so I think people working in the city short term stay here due to how inexpensive it is compared to other lodgings.

The hotel is away from downtown so if you are looking to stay closer to the historic area of Wilmington vs near the college, you may want to look for a hotel closer to the old section of town.

All in all, you get what you pay for. If I needed to stay again under the same circumstances I would consider staying here.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

DO NOT STAY HERE. I have generous standards when it comes to accommodations...I don't need much to be happy. The place had several dead roaches, body hairs in the linens, stained towels, stained carpets, holes in the wall. To make matters worse, the couple that owned the property were rude and nasty at check in. We asked for a refund on the $100+ we paid for the room and the couple refused. She just pointed her finger in our faces and laughed. It was ridiculous.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Budgetel Inn - Wilmington? Share your experiences!