“Poor to Mediocre Service” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Port Land Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 557 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Military Cutoff Road
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Poor to Mediocre Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

This was my first visit to Portland Grille. I had heard great things from friends and reviews alike about the food here. We had 8:00 reservation on a Saturday night. We arrived a few minutes early and were promptly ignored for well over 5 minutes. Multiple servers and a manager walked by - with their heads down - refusing to make eye contact with us and the 2-3 other dining parties behind us that were waiting to "check in". When the hostess finally came around the corner she barely greeted us, check us in and herded us to the bar. Where we proceeded to wait for service. When we got seated it took our waiter awhile to greet us as well. He tried to discourage our shared plate selection, made us wait an extremely long time to get wine and water refills. When our food finally arrived, I got the grouper and it was perfect, my boyfriend got the bone-in filet - it came with ice cold mashed potatoes, the waiter dropped it and left. He never once came back to our table even though we were one of only three tables in the dining room. After voicing our complaint about this he apologized and brought us our bill. Which was wrong. Apparently the bar had placed extra drinks - items that we weren't even having - on our bill. This place is way to pricey to be making mistakes like that. And the cold potatoes would not have been a big deal if he came back just once so we could have had them heated up. The service here was truly awful and the good food can't make up for that. I won't be back - not with so many other places to choose from in Wilmington.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
anne s, Owner at Port Land Grille, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you for your review - good or bad, we always appreciate the efforts made to let us know how we're doing. Of course I'd rather an in-person commentary or an email or phone call but I know for most people, anonymity is the preferred route. Not sure which Saturday night in February you came in but as we were unusually and unexpectedly busy on all the Saturday's, I can see where our mistakes (longer greet times at the door, cold potatoes, incorrectly transferred bar bills, slow or forgotten drink orders/refills) could've collaborated and reared their collective heads at you. We are all usually a pretty darn good team - but if it's really busy, I hope it's easy to understand where even a tiny hiccup from each player (hostess (me), kitchen, bar, server) can impact a guests overall experience despite all our efforts to the contrary. Please feel free to contact me directly at any time (anne@portlandgrille.com) with any questions, comments, concerns or hallelujahs - we really do strive to make your experience at Port Land Grille a memorable one for the right reasons! Thanks for writing.

“Wonderful Birthday Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Talked with the owner when I booked the reservation. When we arrived, the table was prepared with festive birthday confetti. The waiter was experienced, attentive, and enthusiastic. He really was an enjoyable part of the evening.

Nice wine list with some good, reasonably priced wines. We selected a Pinot Noir based on the waiter's recommendation, and it was perfect for the varied menu selections we chose.

Enjoyed the artisan cheese selection and olives. Not a big fan of the Buffalo Calamari. Our party of 6 enjoyed 6 different entrees, all of which were outstanding. Also nice that sides were included.

Dessert was delicious, although the Coconut Cake was massive and dense!

Great Birthday dinner experience. We'll be back!

Visited October 2013
Raleigh, NC
“Favorite restaurant for date night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

The filet here is amazing. Service is top notch. This place is a gem for the area. For a nice evening out, this is the place to go. Great half bottle of wine selection too!

Wilmington, NC
“Ok with terrible Creme Brûlée”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I went here with my wife and daughter on a Wednesday, very busy. We decided to sit at the bar and wait for a table. Service was average at the bar. We were never contacted about a table. We ordered food which was ok for the price. Dessert was terrible creme brulee with a 1/2" thick piece of rock candy where the crust should of been.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Terrible service, decent food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

After reading reviews, I took my boyfriend here for his 29th birthday with great expectations but to our dismay, we ended up very disappointed. It was a Saturday night, so I expected it to be busy but the service we received was sub par by anyone's standards.

We felt that our waiter was not attentive and almost snobbish when he did stop by our table. In all honesty, since other tables seemed to be getting fair service I feel like we were discriminated against because we did not blend in with the more mature (40+) crowd that populated the restaurant, hence we must not have money to tip.

It took 45 minutes just to receive our bread and appetizers (which were nothing to rave about) while the rest of the meal was average. The only redeeming part of this dining experience was that my boyfriends steak was perfect. Regardless, that was our first and last time going there.

• Visited September 2013