“Nice suite but no WiFi or wired internet” 3 of 5 stars

Riverview Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   106 N Water Street, Wilmington, NC 28401   |
Ranked #23 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Nice suite but no WiFi or wired internet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed in the Hilton Riverview Suites. They were nicely appointed and would be great for a family. There is even a washer and dryer. The view from the balcony was beautiful. Be warned that there is NO internet access if you stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
WilmingtonHiltonGM, Director of Sales at Riverview Suites, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for your stay, We are glad you and your family were able to enjoy Wilmington with all the comforts of home. I apologize if you had internet challenges. We do have internet in each unit. In some units it is wireless in other units it is not, it all depends on what the owners have installed.

We are in the process of transitioning all units to wireless, so we apologize for any confusion and appreciate your patience. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed here for a night with my family (wife and two boys, ages 3 and 1). The location and views cannot be beat and the price was definitely right - $90 for a 1 bedroom "condo". We thought that having a suite instead of just a hotel room would be better for our young family and varying bed times. Because our boys go to sleep early, we put in the bedroom while my wife and I used the Murphy bed in the living area. Unfortunately, our youngest is a light sleeper and the extremely loud HVAC system kept him (and therefore the rest of us) awake most of the night. Also, the walls must be very thin/uninsulated. We were only the 9th floor (unit 905) and could clearly hear the noises of the city - especially around 2:00 when the bars closed. Two days later, we are still recovering from the lack of sleep.

Other than the noise, the property was nice and has tons of potential. It is in a fantastic location in the heart of Wilmington with beautiful views of the river and the USS North Carolina. Furnishings were dated but OK; cleanliness was good. Unfortunately, it was all ruined by the noise and the terrible night's sleep we had. We won't be coming back unless it's without the kids or until they're older.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

I here the rooms can be hit or miss. Our room was absolutely amazing. We were there during the Beach to Battleship Triathlon. Watched amazing fireworks and did some antique shopping. It was my wife and I anniversary so we didn't leave the room much. We did go to New Union Union Tattoo parlor to get a couple great tattoo. Great guys their, great work. Not only a cool room but we could use the other hotel amenities. Great stay would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012
WilmingtonHiltonGM, Director of Sales at Riverview Suites, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay and wonderful review. These units are ideal for event weekends. It is wonderful you got see the fireworks, the balconies provide and unbelievable view don't they?

We hope you will come back and join us again, it's the perfect place for a weekend getaway!
Brockton, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

First of all this is not a hotel. It is not even a time share. It is a condo building down the street from the hilton hotel. You have to check in at the hilton and can use everything there but it is a long up hill walk. If you like getting pampered and are demanding stick to the hilton. They are very nice and helpful. I you want some extra room and don't mind being away from everything this place is good. The location can't be beat for walking around the city and river. The views from the rooms are great and they all face the river. the balcony is small and the furniture is to small to sit out if you are over 125 pounds. The furniture inside depends on the unit. It is passable but not up to hilton standards. This is more like staying at a friends condo than going to a hotel.

Room Tip: You want a room higher up for the best view of the battleship and the river. If you take a taxi tell...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
WilmingtonHiltonGM, Director of Sales at Riverview Suites, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for your recent stay and feedback. You are right, this building is not a hotel. They are individually owned units that participate in a rental program. They are a great place to stay, especially for extended amounts of time. The Hilton is not affiliated with this program with exception of the check in.

If in-house amenities is what you are looking for the Hilton is the place. If you would like Condos with kitchens and private balconies in the heart of downtown, then this the ideal place to stay.

We hope to see you again soon!
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

I booked the Riverview Suites after careful consideration and reading all the reviews. I thought I was fully aware of the pros and cons. I booked our 3 night stay there thinking we would enjoy a little extra space, having a small kitchen area and especially the balcony. I asked for a room high up for the best view possible. We were given a room on the 8th floor. Okay, good view and nice size balcony. After that I struggled to find much nice about the accommodations. The bedroom was small and dark, only one window with the blinds shut since it overlooked the walkway. The a/c nit was in the closet and loud. The bathroom was clean and a good size, but the compact fluorescent bulbs take so long to get bright, it seemed dark for a few minutes. The living area was sparse and the carpet could not be more stained. The kitchen area is not in any picture on the Internet, it does nothing to help the appearance of the room. The chairs around the table were filthy. We asked to see another room and the Hilton accommodated and showed us another. It was eaxactly the same, but a smaller balcony. Good news is the Hilton helped us move to a room in the Hilton. They were so accommodating! We moved after dinner and a show at 10:00 at night, when they finally had a cancellation. I can not say enough about how great their customer service staff was to find us another room. All ended well in the long run, but I would not book another stay at the suites.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your stay and review. I am sorry you were disappointed in the accommodations. We continue to upgrade dated furniture in these individually owned units, so we appreciate when guests bring such comments to our attention. We will forward your information to the appropriate people to remedy this situation immediately.

Thank you again for your stay and I hope you will return soon to give us another opportunity to impress you.
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I had stayed at the Riverview Suites 4 years ago and had wonderful accommodations and enjoyed the stay. My husband and I stayed this past weekend and were extremely dissatisfied. The condo was obviously neglected. Furniture, carpeting and window coverings were dirty and stained. The door to the condo did not even fill the door frame so that noise and heat filtered in all the time. Will never stay there again!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I’ve stayed at the Riverview Suites many times over the years, so I guess that must mean I like it!

The location is great – right on the front, with a great view from your balcony (if you’re high enough – more on that in a moment!) of the river, Battleship, etc., and it’s easy to walk out to a large variety of restaurants and shops.

I like the fact that each unit is an individually owned condo, as this means that every time you stay here it is a different experience and it’s interesting to see what each owner has done with their space and how they have decorated and furnished it - it can make an amazing difference. Unfortunately, this also means that after staying in a particularly nice unit you can be a bit disappointed with a ‘not so nice’ unit that may not have quite the same facilities and level of furnishings. All the units I have stayed in have been a reasonable standard, however, and I get the impression that the Hilton does insist that certain things must be provided, which is good.

Up until my most recent stay I have never experienced any of the problems that some of the other reviewers have experienced of noise, non-working air-conditioning, no Wi-Fi, but on my most recent trip I experienced all three! None of which were a huge problem, as the noise stopped eventually, it wasn’t too hot and I can live without Wi-Fi for a weekend, but it is something to bear in mind. The air-conditioning could have been quite a problem if it had been later on in the year.

For me the very best thing about these units is the balcony and view over the river and I always request, and have so far been lucky enough to get, a room on a high floor. To be honest I don’t think I would enjoy anything below level 5 anywhere near as much as a unit on a higher floor. Unfortunately, it seems to be somewhat of a lottery as to which floor you get – I have been told it is on a ‘first come, first served’ basis but I am not sure if this is based on how early you booked your room, how soon you checked in or a combination of both – either way I would definitely feel more comfortable booking here if I could have some sort of guarantee as to what floor I would be staying on at the time of booking. I really don’t see why this isn’t possible and, even though I will stay here again, it is a point that continues to annoy me.

I also prefer a covered balcony and requested one when checking in on my most recent stay. I was told that ‘none of the balconies are covered’ – which is flat out untrue! After a little discussion I did get what I wanted, but if anyone else is interested the less covered/more open balconies are at either end of the building - units ending in 01/02 and 11/12 I believe.

So, to summarize, I love the location and individuality of the units here and, as a general rule, everything you could possibly need is provided. The price is usually reasonable for what you get (it can go up out of all proportion if there is an event on) but there is the potential for noise (Wilmington is a lively town, especially at weekends) and other minor irritations.

I will continue to stay here, but think that the Hilton should pay more attention to maintenance of the air-conditioning in these units and try and devise some sort of system to allocate high floor rooms at the time of booking – although I realize they probably don’t do this as they know that people like myself would not book a room if they knew it was going to be on a lower floor.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
WilmingtonHiltonGirl, Manager at Riverview Suites, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Thank you for your review and thank you for your business at the Riverview Suites. We appreciate your feedback and comments. I understand your questions about room selection, so hope this answer will help you.

We want all guests to have the best view, however there are only a certain amount of unit owners that participate in our program, so not all units are available to stay in. Of the ones we manage, we do try to honor all requests, however sometimes it just can't be done. Because of the nature of the suites, we often have long term stays and rentals- which may prohibit us from honoring specific room requests. However we will do the best we can.

If you have a unit you like, we will do our best to get you in there. Thank you again for your comments. We look forward to your next visit!

Been to Riverview Suites? Share your experiences!