“Good location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 43 hotels in Wilmington
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed with our family and found the location to be perfect for going to the beach and downtown. The pool was ok but needed some debris/bugs removed. The room was good size but the sofas were in need of replacement in both rooms. Holes and soiled in both.The tub in our room took all day to drain. The toilets are very low and the shower curtains having the curved rods causes the water to go all over the floor. toilets and shower curtains have been a problem in most the Choice hotels we have stayed in this past year.The breakfast was nice having big muffins and good coffee was a treat and a large breakfast room a plus. Staff was also accommodating and pleasant. I might choose a different place next time unless some updates are made.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
NC387Manager, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel! We rely on guest's feedback to continuously grow and improve both as a hotel and as a brand. We can't do this without you! While many of our sofa beds have been upgraded, we are continuing to make these changes and I agree with you 100% several of them are still in need of replacing. We have gone through several major upgrades this year, and will continue to do so over the next year. Some changes to expect are: Updated sofabeds, lighting, new mirrors and artwork in each guest room, new guest room carpeting, and a re-constructed and more spacious lobby! We have just recently updated our breakfast area, Front Desk/reception counter, new carpeting in the hallways, and brand new bedding and brand new pillows (firm and soft to choose from). I appreciate your patience as we continue to improve and hope that you will give us another chance in the future! We value your feedback and your business! Thanks again!

98 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We recently stayed here during a family weekend beach trip. We reserved 3 rooms and it was really nice that 2 of the rooms were adjoining. The accommodations were adequate but had a few issues. One didn't have a shower curtain, one had a slow draining tub and no sheets for the pull out sofa. Two rooms had loose toilet seats. Though the "mechanical" issues were not addressed, the other issues were taken care of promptly. Would have been nicer if the rooms with 2 beds had been queens instead of doubles but they were comfortable all the same. Nice hot breakfast! Staff very friendly. Laundry facilities were a nice touch. Suggestion...if you are going to the beach, you'll have to get there EARLY for a parking spot during the high season. Parking is either meters (street parking) or credit card (public lots).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate your recent review! I sincerely apologize that we fell short of your expectations, as well as our own. We take pride in maintaining our property, and it is clear that we fell short. I regret that this negatively impacted your stay with us. I am pleased to hear, however, that the Front Desk was able to rectify those issues during your stay. We hope that you will give us an opportunity to serve you again in the future!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

If I can not stay right on the beach in Carolina Beach, then I stay here, the breakfast items are limited and the oj is not good here, yet I still go back, they are set of the road you can't hear the traffic rooms are always clean, out of the two years that I have been staying at this location I have only had one complaint, and that was my last visit at checkout, the staff member Drew act like i was a chore for him to get up and provide me my receipt, this will not keep me from going back, as the rooms are always clean and smell clean too. Not much to choose from for good food in the area, so the travel to downtown or to Carolina Beach to eat at the Shuck'n Shack is worth the drive.

Room Tip: Sit outside and enjoy the sounds of the nature, tree frogs and bull frogs.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hi Mike!

Thank you so much for your recent review of our hotel! We always receive high staff service scores so I am very disappointed to hear about the delay at checkout! I can assure you this will not happen again, and I very much appreciate you considering us for future stays in Wilmington. For recommended local restaurants in the area, try Elizabeth's Pizza (great Italian food), Hieronymus Seafood (the best in Wilmington!), or Indochine (Thai/Vietnamese - and is always voted best overall restaurant in Wilmington). All of these are within 1 mile of our hotel, amongst many others. Our Front Desk can provide you with a list of recommended local restaurants that are close to Comfort Suites! We look forward to seeing you on your next trip!
North, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Old carpeting, furniture including bed and mattress.. Loud AC units and overpriced for the what u get... Rude staff...not very helpful at all.. Their "hot breakfast " , nothing to brag about.. Typical continental breakfast... As far as location, one block away from the really bad area in Wilmington... Be careful!

• Stayed May 2013
NC387Manager, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for your recent review! I am very disappointed to hear that your stay with us fell short of your expectations.
If there are other items you would like to see on our breakfast menu, please do not hesitate to let us know what your suggestions would be and we will certain take those into consideration. Breakfast varieties (such as 2 flavors of waffles, scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, sausage, bacon, grits, and oatmeal) accompany many of the standard items hotels offer such as pastries, muffins, yogurt, etc.
Please also let us know if there was anything specifically you found unsavory one block from our hotel. Our location is conveniently located in mid-town Wilmington (approx. 10 min drive to Wrightsville Beach and Historic Downtown Wilmington), along with many other area midscale and full service hotels. We are located on a busy street, but many guests enjoy that our hotel is set so far back from the road. Brightly lit shopping centers such as Target, Walmart, Food Lion, Walgreens and several major fast food restaurants are also within walking distance of Comfort Suites.

I apologize again for failing to meet your expectations. Guest's feedback is very important to us. Our guests let us know what we are doing wrong, what we are doing right, and where we have opportunities for improvement. In your future stays, please report any maintenance issues so we may correct them immediately, as we strive to ensure our guest's satisfaction. Simple fixes (such as a loud AC unit) can be quickly taken care of by our Maintenance Staff.

Thank you again for your time and I hope you give us another opportunity to serve you in the future!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is a wonderful place to stay...I have been staying at this hotel for over 4 years..it's very clean..the rooms are all very quite...everyone of the staff are very helpful and friendly..this hotel has a great pool which is very clean...many restaurants are close by ..also,a target which is very good incase you forgot something ...a food lion ( grocery store ) if you want to buy some snacks for your room pluse,cold drinks to put in your little frig in your room...the owners of this hotel have done a lot of updating since I first stayed here....new flat screen tv, new carpeting through out, bedding is all new...also,eating area has been updated new ceramic floors,tables and furniture ....I would recommend this hotel in a heart beat to anyone...LOVE IT AND THE STAFF....I stay here 4 times a year ...for at least 3/4 nights ...I stay here solo most of the time and feel very safe...my family has also stayed here with me at times..

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

NC387Manager, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
THANK YOU for your kind reviews!! We love seeing guests return to our hotel year after year. We've had a couple of new upgrades since the last time you have stayed as well! We hope to see you soon!
Carolina Girl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Sorry, but was too exhausted to take pics. The place was average. The rooms desperately needed updating. I stayed in a king suite, kitchenette with micro, fridge, sink, desk pull out couch(?).
Good: Service was good. Staff were welcoming and helpful. Breakfast was tasty, not continental-waffles, eggs, bacon/sausage, cereal, pastries, etc. Bed was comfortable if you like soft mattresses. It is right on Market within close proximity to shopping and food places.
Not so good: It was extremely small with the king bed cramped into a corner right at bathroom door. It looked like the counter tops in kitchenette and dressing area were newer, but the bathroom had an old one. The room was fairly clean. It's those little things that really impress or depress me. Stuff like tile grout and toilet grout being dark brown/black when it should be white which tells me housekeeping isn't doing a thorough job; marks on shower curtains like they've been washed, but obviously need to be replaced, marks on hallways from what I assume was paint, but brownish in color; elevators and hallways with stale smells and marks on their walls like no one cleans them.
My traveling companion had issue with water leaking in his room, but not sure if that was a one time thing or not.
One thing that really didn't set right with me was we saw a housekeeper drop washcloths on the floor in the hallway and pick them up and place them back on her cart with clean washcloths.

Overall: I wouldn't stay here again and wouldn't recommend to a friend.

Room Tip: Make sure your room does not have water damage.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
NC387Manager, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us! All of our rooms at Comfort Suites Wilmington are spacious studio suites, which are larger than your standard hotel room. However, some Comfort Suites hotels do offer 2-room suites with a wall partition, so we do apologize if the sizing of the room failed to meet your expectations. All of our bathroom tile grout was recently replaced with brand new grout and we chose a dark gray color to eliminate the pink staining caused by our housekeeping bathroom chemicals. Many hotels opt for darker grout colors for this same reason. I am also pleased to report that we are installing a brand new bedding package which offers a much more modern feel! Just this year we have replaced our hallway carpets, re-tiled our breakfast area, and replaced our breakfast furniture with new, modern furniture. Our lobby and fitness center were both recently upgraded as well. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you soon!
Shepherdsville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

On our second morning in the Comfort Suites I awoke to a roach Crawling up my arm, I squeezed the little fellow into a piece of toilet paper and took him to the front desk on my way to breakfast, they ask what room I was in, and that was it, not one word of oh so sorry, no one called my room or came to check it or anything. I have stayed in Comfort Suites all across America, and they have been great, however my last 3 experiences have changed my perception. The other two concerned services that where suppose to be part of the deal like breakfast and shuttle which didn't work and again not even a sorry, let alone payment of the service I had to pay to someone else to get. I think the service at these hotels have change, and so have I to a different hotel.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
I sincerely apologize for failing to meet your expectations! Our hotel is exterminated monthly as a proactive approach to avoid situations such as these. However, Wilmington can see an influx in palmetto bugs in residential areas and hotels during particularly rainy seasons such as now. Palmetto bugs look very similar to roaches, but are much larger. Regardless of the type of bug, we certainly do not want these in our rooms in any way, shape, or form. Our exterminator was contacted the day you reported the issue and he promptly came to service your room specifically. Again, I apologize that this inconvenienced you during your stay and I completely understand the frustration behind this, especially if you had two previously negative experiences at Comfort Suites. As a brand, Comfort Suites is required to provide a full, hot breakfast each morning so please do report the previous hotel that failed to meet the breakfast requirements during your stay.

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!