“Not clean” 1 of 5 stars

Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #38 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
“Not clean”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Well we stayed in a non smoking room and honestly it smelt like someone just had a cigarette in the room when we first walked in. Room are extremely dirty and old. We woke up in the morning and found out that we woke up to a crime scene in the room next to us....honestly I will never go back to this place ever again. Definitely not a safe hotel or cleanly.

• Stayed June 2014
HotelGM329, Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn Wilmington, responded to this review, January 19, 2015
I sincerely apologize for the very unfortunate incident you experienced at our hotel. . I am so sorry to hear that you did not feel safe during your most recent stay with us, and I want to assure you that we take the security of our guests very seriously. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the housekeeping issues that you encountered during your stay in our hotel. Your comments help us to see where we need to improve and we appreciate that you have taken the time to review our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Holly Springs, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

I usually stay at cheap hotels when I travel alone so I expected these conditions. I would not subject anyone else to this hotel. This was one of the cheapest that I could find in the area even though they jacked up the prices for the UNCW graduation weekend. There was one cheaper but this hotel said they had a continental breakfast. They did not have one unless it was very early. I didn't care by that point. I just wanted to check out. The carpet was filthy and should have been replaced 10 years ago. I was afraid to take my shoes off.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Wilmington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

The check in is was good. The staff was kind and helpful. However, when I attempted to make the initial reservation, no one ever picked up the phone. When I checked in, I found out why. As I was checking in, the phone began to ring and the clerk never acknowledged it. She let the phone ring and ring. Good ethics would have said to pick the phone up and acknowledge the caller politely and put them on hold.
The room was good. We had two beds, mini-fridge and microwave. The pipes in the shower felt like they were going to be pulled out of the wall when turning on the faucet or adjusting the shower head because they were so loose.
We could never get connected to the 'free WiFi' due to you had to have a code of some sort. This defeats the purpose of advertising 'free WiFi' and no code was ever offered to us.
The breakfast was non-existent with really no room to eat. It was in the lobby of the hotel which was small to begin with. Most other hotels have a separate place to eat which is large enough to seat 10-15 people minimum.
Other than those issues, it was a pleasant stay. I provided us a place to sleep and a hot shower. I have stayed at other hotels within the same price range which had a better breakfast variety and WiFi connections. It is due to those things that I can not give it a higher rating than two.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Wilmington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

This was actually our second and third visit to this Howard Johnson. We have always been pleased with our stays there. The management is very friendly and accomodating. The rooms are nice, quiet and clean when we arrive. Have had no problems whatsoever. We would and will recommend this hotel to all our friends and relatives. Oh, and we like the close proximity to everything!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn Wilmington? Share your experiences!