“A birthday sail” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 53 Activities in Wilmington
Type: Boat Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Experienced captain Alan Held guides you on sailing tours, charters and lessons on the Cape Fear River. Starting from the Riverwalk in Downtown Wilmington, NC, You will explore the cultural and natural history of the area. A new perspective of the river, downtown and the New Hanover Memorial Bridge make the sunset tour a local favorite tour.
Wilmington, North Carolina
“A birthday sail”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My husband wanted to have a sailboat experience the day of his birthday, which was December 20th. So off we went...myself, my husband, and our 7 year old son. We couldn't have asked for better weather (70F !) and a nice breeze. We were met by Alan, the captain and his wife Kaete. Their enthusiasm for having us aboard their boat was genuine and they were beyond welcoming! We had brought aboard a "picnic" style lunch from The Fresh Market, which Kaete put below and served to us with plates and napkins later on. Kaete had pirate hats for my son to wear, stories to tell him and Capt. Alan kept him fascinated, even letting him steer the boat and showing him all the ropes, literally! We all had a blast and they were very accommodating! Alan gave my husband some basic instruction and then let him take the wheel for a good part of our sail. I know he loved it from the look on his face. I wanted to sit front and center, with my feet overhanging from the boat, so they led me right up where I relaxed and took in the view. A fabulous experience for the money, too. Quite a memorable experience that we'll enjoy looking back on, and we felt that we left having made friends.

Visited December 2012
captalanheld, Owner at Sail Wilmington NC, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
It is sailing with wonderful people like yourselves that makes what we do pure pleasure. Your son was a perfect gentleman, especially for his young age. He was checking on my wife down below to make sure she was OK. Amazing!

Thank you for your response . Please stop by when you are downtown.

Capt. Alan and Kaete

Wilmington, North Carolina
“Great Sailing, Great Information, and Great Fun with Capt. Al and Kate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My girlfriend treated me to a very special surprise birthday sailing lesson with Capt. Al and 1st Mate Kate aboard the "Jammin," their 30ft Cat boat. We left Wilmington's River Walk in front of "The George" Restaurant for an excellent tour around the river and expert-level instruction in the art of sailing from both Capt. Al and Kate. They are extremely friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, patient, and welcoming. They made us feel at home immediately, and took an energetic interest in making sure we made the most of our experience. We couldn't have had a better time! They helped make my birthday a very special one, and I heartily recommend that if you're looking for a sailing adventure in the Wilmington, N.C. area that you can't go wrong with Sail Wilmington NC.

Visited October 2012
captalanheld, Owner at Sail Wilmington NC, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
It is such a pleasure to share a sailing experience with people like you that are so eager and attentive to learn. Your interest in every aspect of sailing and cruising made it easy for us to talk about our passion. Thank you both for coming out with us and for your kind comments.
Capt. Al and Kaete
West Chester, Pennsylvania
6 attraction reviews
“Like sailing with friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We treated a couple who were hosting us in Carolina Beach to two hours on the Cape Fear River. We brought a picnic lunch and some wine. We loved every minute of our sail with Captain Al and Kaete, the first mate. They shared their knowledge about history and sailing. They did everything possible to make us comfortable. We had a gorgeous sunny 80 degree day.They offered to put up a canopy if it got too hot, but it wasn't needed. My husband really enjoyed taking the helm for a bit. We will definitely book again, the next time we're visiting.

Visited October 2012
captalanheld, Owner at Sail Wilmington NC, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
It was a wonderful day and even better sailing with all of you. Also it is great seeing professionals like yourselves enjoying Jimmy Buffet and our beautiful river. We appreciate your taking time out of your busy day to make a comment about. us.
Thanks, Alan and Kaete
Charlotte, NC
4 attraction reviews
“Fun and relaxing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Just returned from a morning sail with Kaete and Al. We had a great time. It was a little chilly, so we were concerned that we would not enjoy the trip, but we were very wrong. Al and Kaete provided us with snuggly warm blankets, and we were perfectly comfortable. They were also very accommodating and interactive with our kids, 3 years old and 11 months (they had an infant life jacket too), which we as parents really appreciated. Both kids enjoyed the trip (especially the goldfish crackers that Kaete made sure to keep coming!) Kaete and Al are both super friendly and can provide a number of interesting historical facts about the area, as well as fun tales of how they came to own the sailboat and the trips they've taken. If you're interested, you will also learn a bit about sailing on the way. We would highly recommend sailing with them and will definitely go again if we return to Wilmington! It was lots of fun!!!!

Visited October 2012
Thank you so much for sailing with us. We were very impressed that you you pulled it all together to take your family on a cruise. The pictures will tell the tale, when the kids get older, about them getting their sea legs at such a young age.
Capt. Al and Keate
Rocky Mount, North Carolina, United States
“Surprise Birthday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

The greatest Surprise! Even though the conditions were not the best for sailing Captain Al and Kaete made the cruise the most enjoyable! Sailing was on my bucket list so for my 30th birthday my husband made arrangements to set sail with Captain Al and Kaete who rearranged our time several times so that we would not hit rain. The weather was nice but little wind but we still had the BEST TIME! They shared bits of history and gave instruction on how to sail. I would highly recommend!

Visited September 2012
captalanheld, Owner at Sail Wilmington NC, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
We are so grateful that you spent your special day sailing with us. It is wonderful people like you that make a difference for the good in our world. Thanks for all you give to your community.
Capt Al and Kaete