“Good food, not great atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #165 of 570 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Bringing Wilmington Authentic Thai cuisine, healthy ingredients, prepared fresh, and served in a relaxing atmosphere.
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Good food, not great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We loved and frequented Big Thai on North Fourth and were so disappointed when it closed last year. Big Thai 2 has the same yummy Thai food though, so all is not lost! On this visit I had the yellow curry and pot stickers and both were very good. The yellow curry is very creamy with plenty of tender chicken breast. Spicy but not too spicy. The pot stickers are about my favorite thing on the menu. They are delicious. The only thing they could improve upon is the decor and atmosphere. It isn't very cozy or nice. Although I miss getting the takeout from their North Fourth location, the food is still very much worth the trip across town.

Visited January 2013

“Pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

An not an expert on Thai food but we've been here about five times and like it. One entree is enough for two. Big Thai has morphed from a sleepy place with ten tables to a mega restaurant. It will be interesting to see if quality suffers.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Be careful.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

While the food was okay as in just okay with okay service I was really turned off by their grossly overcharging on daily specials. We had a small group and when reviewing the menu most all items were under $15. The waitress mentioned they had a duck and a crab special. When the check came we were horrified both specials were priced in the $30-$35, with no warning from the waitress, when we ordered that the specials were more than twice a regular entree. For this reason I won't go back.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Very impressive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband & I decided to give Big Thai 2 a try because of their coupon in our Attractions book. The service was very attentive, & the food was fresh, authentic, & plentiful! I had the crab fried rice, which I highly recommend. We also got the spring rolls appetizer, which were delicious as well. We will definitely be back again for more.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ny
“Authentic Thai Food, Very Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

To start with, the appetizers we like are: chicken larb, chicken satay, and beef numtuk. We like spicy so we ask for spicy. But even without asking, these have a bit of a kick for sure. There are also spring rolls which are very good. We aren't much into seafood, but there are several varieties of seafood dishes on the menu. Oh, the soup is very tasty too. The spicy coconut is excellent. I recommend getting a pot if you have 3-4 people. Ok, for the entrees, again, I can't comment on the seafood, but we enjoy the curries, all of them. The massaman and yellow are excellent, not spicy at all, but very tasty. The red is a bit more spicy, but not hot (to us anyway). The fired rice is good, wayyyy better than the fried rice at a chinese joint. It is moist, flavorful, and just great. I like the spicy fried rice with chicken. You have a choice of meat. This has some basil and peppers for a spicy effect. There are several choices on the menu, but these are my favorites. If you go for lunch, the lunch special offers the massaman and some other curries. But there is also a chicken noodle bowl on the lunch menu which is great! If you have a cold or congestion it will clear it right up! Lots of lemon and garlic and ginger. And for dessert, you must try the coconut cake. I am personally not a big fan of cake, but this is awesome! Nice moist white cake layered with a nice cool whip type frosting with shredded coconut. There is not a full bar here, just wine and beer. I think some nice martinis and mixed drinks would add to the ambience but, they've never offered liquor. As a matter of fact, none of the Thai places in this area do. But overall, I like this restaurant and the food.

• Visited January 2013