“Historical Comfort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Heaven Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wilmington
Blue Heaven Bed and Breakfast
You added Blue Heaven Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
517 Orange Street, Wilmington, NC 28401   |
Ranked #8 of 15 Wilmington B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Historical Comfort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

The pictures of the place don't do it any justice. This Inn is well maintained inside and out. The Sanibel room might have the most comfortable king bed in which I've ever slept. Jay is a very friendly and social owner that truly cares about your stay. Breakfasts are thoughtful, not just bacon and eggs. The house has a few different rooms to relax away from the bedroom. Cable TV. Spacious rooms with high ceilings. Coffee in the morning. Two relaxing outdoor porches.
A 10 minute walk to downtown. For the value, I'll be back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Pemberville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Some say that three is a charm, and my third stay at Blue Heaven Bed & Breakfast certainly validates that sentiment. My wife and I stayed at Blue Heaven for the third time in the last two years. When we planned our vacation to Wilmington, NC, we immediately knew that Blue Heaven was where we wanted to stay. The inn keeper, Jay Gartrell, maintains the rooms in an excellent, clean condition. We personally stayed in a room called ‘Key West’. Each morning at 9:00 am, breakfast is served, which consists of three courses. First, all guests begin their breakfast with a bowl of fruit; the second is followed by the main course. A sweet snack follows the main course to finish up the breakfast. Coffee is available throughout the breakfast. Each day is a different breakfast meal. What a great start to the day! During this particular stay, I enjoyed reading in the downstairs parlor inside Blue Heaven. Guests are free to come and go as they please, so whether you are inside Blue Heaven or enjoying the Wilmington waterfront, then I’m sure you will have a great stay at Blue Heaven Bed & Breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Went to Blue Heaven B&B with my 9 year old son and stayed in Sanibel Central. The room has two (very comfortable) twin beds, which was perfect for us. Most B&Bs I looked at don't welcome children, but Jay was very much a kid person and really seemed to enjoy having my child there. He went out of his way to make sure we were comfortable and had plenty to do while we were there. The location is great, with a very pleasant walk to the waterfront. Breakfast was delicious! The house is gorgeous, yet comfortable, and the only negative thing I have to say is that we had to pay an extra $20 because we were staying only one night. I look forward to going back again for a getaway with my husband.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Having only just stumbled across this page, I feel I must add my own glowing, but delayed tribute to this fine establishment's hospitality.
In 2009, my wife and I drove a 15,000-mile lap of the States and dropped into Wilmington on the final leg of our journey before returning to the UK.
We were spellbound by this town, so much so that we still dream of returning there to live, work and raise a family - which is quite a compliment when you consider that we visited many wonderful places across 35 states of the US.
That magical feeling was only enhanced further by charismatic inn keeper Jay, whose warm welcome and great sense of humour was the icing on the cake of a memorable stay in such a quaint, immaculate and comfortable bed and breakfast.
The communal living area, fridge and beers was another big bonus. There was even a copy of Dirty Dancing in the free video selection - so my wife could pay an emotional tribute to Patrick Swayze in our room, who had sadly passed during our visit!
We only planned on staying for two days, but ended up extending that to five, before leaving with very heavy hearts... and bellies, as Jay is one hell of a breakfast maker - always different, never boring.
Please let me know when you are ready to sell up, Jay! But can we keep you on the staff?
Bernie Friend

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
BRISTOW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Intending only a quick day visit to Wilmington, my wife and I were enchanted by the town so decided at last minute to stay over night. We were directed by a hospitable but fully booked hotelier to the Blue Heaven B&B, which had one room left. What a lucky turn of events! We were booked into the Key West room (the Inn's former owners named the inn after a bar in Key West and themed the guest rooms with names of the Florida keys). Our spacious room was quaintly painted in pastel blue with palms trees on the wall and wispy clouds on the ceiling. The floor boards were white and pale green. Being Florida natives, we felt right at home. Guest rooms are on the 2nd floor, which also offers a common sitting room and an outdoor porch. Complimentary sodas, water and beer were in the sitting room fridge. I enjoyed our voluble innkeeper, Jay Gartrell, who was a wealth of information and just plain good company, not to mention an outstanding breakfast chef! The Blue Heaven and Wilmington are both treasures not to be missed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Southern Pines NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at My Blue Heaven three times over the past four years, and are getting ready for a fourth stay at the end of June. Jay is such a wonderful host and the inn is so comfortable with just enough amenities. It is not luxurious or fancy, just down-to-earth. He cooks a wonderfully delicious breakfast each time. He knows all the restaurants and places to visit, and since it is in the historic district, it is within walking distance to many destinations. If we can't stay at My Blue Heaven when we come to Wilmington, we are liable to reschedule our trip.

Room Tip: One of the rooms does not have an insuite bathroom, but the one that you use is private just down th...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Lenoir, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I was looking for a quiet time away by myself for a couple of days and found a wonderful getaway at Blue Heaven Bed & Breakfast. The entire house was spotless and my room was comfortable and well appointed. Jay was extremely helpful in pointing out things of interest, restaurants, and directions on how to get places. Each morning we enjoyed a delicious breakfast, artfully presented and the opportunity to enjoy conversation with our host and the other guests. I personally enjoyed an early morning cup of tea on the front porch. Wilmington is historic and beautiful and my stay was extremely enjoyable. I will definitely come back for another rest and relaxation stay!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Blue Heaven Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!