“almost very good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Wilmington-University Area/Smith Creek Station

Save Saved
You added Hampton Inn Wilmington-University Area/Smith Creek Station to your Saves list
Hampton Inn Wilmington-University Area/Smith Creek Station
Ranked #3 of 43 hotels in Wilmington
Chapel Hill NC
“almost very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We came on a whim and got a last-minute res, which was great. When we checked in, there was an extraordinary guy behind the desk - Joshua; if you see him, ask for his recommendations of what to do and where to eat; he's amazing, and has a great future in hospitality, if that's what he wants to do. Very enthusiastic and knowledgeable, and as a result of his advice, we switched our plans and had a super time.

All was well until breakfast, which is actually one of the worst we've had at a Hampton Inn, and
unworthy of this one's university location. You want half-and-half in your coffee? Sorry, there's only chemical fake cream. If you're a low-carb eater, as we are, your only choice is insanely
overcooked "scrambled eggs" that tasted like they came out of a carton and were cooked in margarine - though on the plus side, there IS butter. I was sure there must be some actual
half and half, since it comes in little pods just like the chemical stuff. But the server I asked said oh, there IS cream - when I said that wasn't cream, just a bunch of chemicals, she seemed
nonplussed. I eventually found some milk and settled for that, and choked down the eggs.
No bacon, no sausage, which is a first - just carbs. If you love carbs and don't mind chemicals, you'll be thrilled.

Bed was great, shower so-so. Oddly, the bath towels are at the far end of the shelves under the sink, and the only hook to hang one on, in case you think ahead, is on the end where the toilet is, in effect the back door of the shower. Not terribly annoying, but no one seems to have imagined what it's like to actually use the bathroom.

Location: very convenient to almost everything - a quick shot to the beach, the inland waterway, the wonderful Airlie Road that goes to Airlie Gardens (thank you, Joshua!), the historic river area But the hotel itself is stuck in a blah mall with low-end stores.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

230 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Had a great stay here while in Wilmington for work for a few days. My room was large, clean, and comfortable. I had no problems with noise during my stay, and the staff was very friendly. It's also conveniently close to some restaurants such as Buffalo Wild Wings and Texas Roadhouse.

Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great hotel and great people at the reception desk, met the manager, Melanie and the the ladies that provided towels as needed wer'e very friendly and nice. The breakfast was very good and the folks that served were friendly and helpful if we needed anything.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Newport, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is a newer Hampton..very nice decor. It s clean and comfortable. The front desk greated me very nicely & welcomed me to wilmington. I was staying the night to be able to take a test early the next morning, so I wsed the very nice build in desk in my room. It was just large enough for my laptop and books. I slept very well, despite the churning of the HVAC system. I do wish someone could figure out how to make those quieter - in every hotel. Got up early and enjoyed the free breakfast. I like hampton's coffee (bold). Passed my test and home I went.

NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have stayed here in the past and really liked it. This hotel was always nice and convenient to all the places I am in Wilmington for. But I was put way off by a bad review about 2 years ago. I gave it a another try last week. and really had no issues.

The room was large and very clean. I admit I am a little OCD. I always check the mattress and sheets. Both looked very new. Bathroom was clean, plenty of towels. Bed was comfortable.

Glad I gave it another try.

Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My friend and I were able to secure a last minute spacious room before the Azalea Triathlon. Very thankful to have been helped by such wonderful staff- Joshua was especially terrific- he booked the room kindly, provided generous check-out (due to race) and while I was checking out I had misplaced an item for my boys...Joshua took it upon himself to make two little goodie bags for the boys. How sweet was that? Great people, nice hotel. Thanks again!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hickory, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

It is always a pleasure to stay at the Hampton Inn! Love how clean and fresh the rooms always are, the complimentary breakfast buffet, the beds are amazing. The room had a great view of Home Depot and some other local businesses, not that it really mattered as we weren't in the room very much. It was convenient for the purpose of our trip.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn Wilmington-University Area/Smith Creek Station? Share your experiences!