“Ill never stay at this hotel again!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Wilmington-Wrightsville Beach

You added Courtyard by Marriott Wilmington-Wrightsville Beach to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Wilmington-Wrightsville Beach
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   151 Van Campen Blvd., Wilmington, NC 28403   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #8 of 43 Hotels in Wilmington
Durham, NC
“Ill never stay at this hotel again!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Since I've stayed at Courtyards by Marriott in the past, I expected a similar quality but that was not the case. The first room we were given smelled like mildew. The second room smelled of smoke--in a NON SMOKING hotel. The third room was much smaller than I had anticipated but we accpeted it. Since it was my husband's birthday weekend, I called the hotel in advance and asked them to prepare a wine and cheese basket or a nice fruit and wine basket. Upon arrival, we discovered a tin pail with several candy bars and a single bag of popcorn. Talk about tacky! I asked the clerk why I received that and did they ever think my husband might be a diabetic. She apologized but they never made good on my request.

The one positive thing about the hotel was their breakfast buffet.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
KRDWilmington_NC, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Wilmington-Wrightsville Beach, responded to this review, July 12, 2010
Come on back! Renovation to all public space is now complete. Starbucks Bistro with full service restaurant / lounge in the evening.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Cary, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott Wilmington for two nights over the past weekend after they accepted my Priceline bid. After reading some of the reviews here, I was really concerned about the reports of musty smells, run down condition, rude staff, etc. We were pleasantly surprised when we walked in and were greeted by a friendly front desk clerk. We also talked to 2 other front desk clerks at different times and they were also friendly and helpful. They supplied us with extra towels, made change for us, and allowed us to check out late so that we could enjoy the beach and then shower before our drive home on our last day. The room (including bathroom)was spotlessly clean and stayed that way throughout our stay. We never noticed any musty smells at all. There was nothing fancy, just clean and comfortable and what I expect from a 3-star hotel. There was a small area in the lobby where they served breakfast for a charge. We didn't eat there so I can't rate it, but there were people there each morning.
The location was convenient for us since we wanted to spend time in downtown Wilmington and also Wrightsville Beach. It is just about half way between the two and the time from either hotel to beach or hotel to downtown is about 15 minutes.
There are some nice restaurants in Wilmington and two that we really enjoyed were Circa 1922 in downtown and Oceanic at Wrightsville Beach where we sat on the pier right over the beach. We had breakfast at a place that seems to attract the locals called Goody Goody Omelettes. The food there was good and the staff was really friendly.
All in all a great weekend and I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

Restaurants, shopping and 5 miles from the beach. Van Campen Blvd leads you to all of this and more. Other comments mention the location being hard to find; I give you one U-turn on Market St. and you'll slide right in.
When we (my wife and I) arrived, we were greeted by a staff with personality. We found this to be nice compared to the cold, programmed sentences you get at other hotels.
We stayed in rm. 166. We suggest this room to those who want just a little bit more...King bed, large shower and jacuzzi tub.
Beach Tip: Be patient and prepared to pay metered parking; You can pay for parking with your debit card in some parking lots. $1.00 for the first hour; 3 hrs. for $4.50. It was worth it to us.
Food Tip: Go to Bone Fish Grill on Market St. We suggest: Bang-Bang Shrimp appetizer (spicey) and a HPNOTIQ Breeze Martini.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

This hotel has not aged well, but golly, has it aged.

The layout of this hotel means you will hike from the check-in desk to your room, so wear your sneakers.

The last couple times I've been there, the night crew seems ill trained. It almost appears the hotel has hired high school students, doesn't train them, and leaves them alone at the desk without so much as a phone number to call if they get confused. Check-in not only took a long, long time - I'm a Platinum Rewards Member, so it should be very, very quick - but the person at the front desk didn't seem to understand what he was doing.

My room was old. The furniture was old. The carpet was old and worn. The bathroom had harsh lighting. The curtains were old. The desk chair was stained. The TVs were black and white. OK, that last one isn't true, but the stuff in the hotel felt that old.

This place is more motel than hotel.

It's located in a commercial area with car dealerships and other cheap motels. Your room is practically on the highway, but louder.

There are better options - like the Residence Inn - nearby. Save yourself the misery. Don't stay here.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Richmond, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2008

My fiance and I stayed at this property due to a wedding in the area. The rooms have been remodeled with new bedding, furniture and a flat screen tv; however, the hotel's structure and rooms are still very outdated. Carpet needed replacing, the air conditioner/ heating system is outdated and reeked of mildew in the room that we stayed in. The shower and water pressure was excellent. If I had to stay in Wilmington again, I would not stay in this property...the Wingate Inn is newer and nicer. If these things don't bother you...a definite upside to this property is the location...across the street from Wal-Mart and a short driving distance to restaurants, fast food, Target and a strip mall.

• Liked — Location and updated bedding
  • Disliked — Old building and rooms; Smelly room from A/C unit
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
luv2travelinnc
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

I stay at Marriotts all the time and was very dissappointed with this one. The room was completely over priced and smelled like mold. I thought that all Courtyards did not allow pets but apparently not. There was some large dog in the room next to me that barked all night. When I called the front desk, they said they couldn't do anything about it. The next day when I went to check out, a short overweight lady in here 50s (I think her name was Debbie or Deborah) was very rude. I told her of all the problems and she pretty much sighed and rolled her eyes. I felt like I was at a Super 8. Needless to say, I will never stay at the property again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Service & quality of room
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chapel Hill, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

Nice hotel, but the rates are high for what you get. No bar. No real restaurant. Does do an off the menu, sit down full breakfast service, but that is it. Hotel was clean, rooms nice. In an area with a lot of restaurants within walking distance. Hard to find as it is on a seldom used service road, even though right off a busy street. You can sometime get it a lot cheaper on the discounters than the published rates. 1/2 way between historic downtown Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach. Would be a good place for families not wanting to pay the full beach price.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Wilmington-Wrightsville Beach? Share your experiences!