“Really comfortable stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS University Inn

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS University Inn to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS University Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5345 Market St, Wilmington, NC 28405-3505 (Formerly Innkeeper - Wilmington)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #11 of 43 Hotels in Wilmington
Clayton, North Carolina
“Really comfortable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Normally I don't do best westerns because they have been substandard. I decided to try this one because of the great price and the good reviews and the pics I saw of the property. As soon as we walked in I immediately noticed how good the lobby smelled. Kind of a cleaner/bleach smell. The girl behind the counter was obviously really busy but she was extremely pleasant and patient as the phone rang off the hook and she was on the phone trying to help someone find a room nearby since the hotel was completely sold out.

We checked into our room and found it to be very clean and comfortable. I always check the bathroom first and found that to be very clean. The king bed was comfortable as was the temp in the room. Since we decided to bring our 7 year old with us we needed to make a pallet on the floor or get a cot. All 16 cots the hotel has was already checked out the front desk clerk nicely provided us enough blankets to make a comfortable bed on the floor. The complementary breakfast was one of the better ones I have seen at a hotel - full hot breakfast. I also like the fact checkout is not till noon vs 11:00 like most hotels. I would definitely stay here again on my next visit to Wilmington although I would ask not to be on the 4th floor as the hall way smelled like smoke. I think half of this floor is smoking rooms

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at BEST WESTERN PLUS University Inn, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Chevionp,

Thank you for writing such a comprehensive review of your stay with us - we're glad that you gave us a shot and it's terrific to hear that you had a great visit. I'm delighted that you found us so clean and comfortable and that you loved our complimentary breakfast, as well as that our friendly staff was able to accommodate your needs. We appreciate your recommendation and feedback and can't wait for your next stay! Thanks again for your review.

Daly Seven, Inc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Lumberton, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The hotel was really nice and in a very convenient location. The bed was terrible. My husband and my back hurt everyday from it. The air unit was a little loud and never stopped, even when it got to the right temp. If you turned the temp up or down, it would make the room smell very bad. The pool was very dirty. Almost hated getting in it. There were trees around and stuff was constantly blowing in it.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at BEST WESTERN PLUS University Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Meredith E,

Thank you for your review and feedback of your recent stay - I'd like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered; we understand the importance of a comfortable stay and our staff will discuss your comments immediately in order to improve our guest experience. If you would like to discuss further, please don't hesitate to give me a call at the number below. Otherwise, I'm happy to read that you had a nice stay overall and hope we will see you again the next time you're in Wilmington. Thanks again for the review.

North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was clean and very convenient to the major roads and highway. I stayed one night as I had business to tend to and the place met all my expectations, the thing I care about most is cleanliness and it was that! Breakfast was just OK.

My only complaint is on my checkout the front desk lady was dealing with someone on the phone that reservation got messed up and she brought that attitude to me after putting guest on hold.

• Stayed June 2013
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at BEST WESTERN PLUS University Inn, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear wctraveler21,

We appreciate you reviewing our Best Western Plus & I'm delighted to hear that we were able to meet your high standards for cleanliness, as well as that our location was convenient for your needs. I do apologize that our desk clerk's service was below our standard and our team will discuss your comments in order to provide the friendliest service we can. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again on your next visit to the area!

Chapel Hill, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This is a nicely remodeled hotel and lovely if you have no smelling capacity. However, my toddler and I were sick after a 2 hour nap in our room. If you are allergic to mold this is not the place for you. Brand new furniture in our room smelled so bad of mold it had to be removed from our room. Then the excessive amounts of Febreeze to cover up the dampness/mold smell only added to the problem. If you have no sense of smell it is fine.

Dear N B,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. We are sorry for the inconveniences during your stay and our housekeeping team is discussing your feedback in order to provide the highest standard of cleanliness. If you would like to discuss further, please get in touch with me at the number below. Otherwise, we are happy to see you rate our service, value, and guest rooms highly and hope you will give us another opportunity on your next trip to Wilmington to show our improvements. Thank you again for your review.

Lexington, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Internet access in room was horribly slow or non-existent. Hotel clerk seemed unconcerned. Was placed in room on 2nd floor above pool which was very noisy from kids -windows not isolating any noise, neither was the door as you could hear every noise in the hallways. Stopper in sink broke, what appeared to be black mold growing in shower, tv remote not working properly. The good - reasonable rates. If you're spending very little time in your room and outside noises are not a concern, you might like this place for the value.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at BEST WESTERN PLUS University Inn, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear wonderin_y,

Thank you for your review and I'd like to sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay. Our team appreciates your feedback and will discuss your review in order to provide the best guest experience we can in the future. If you would like to speak about your stay further, please get in touch with me at the number below. Again, we're sorry for the inconvenience and hope you will give us another chance in the future to show how much we value our guests.

Charlottesville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Traveled here for my sons football game

Pros first: Front desk staff were pleasant and helpful, the hotel appeared to be clean. Great hot breakfast with cheese omlets, country ham, assorted breads, cereal etc.

Now the cons: I booked this hotel without checking on the location first. Well apparently it's in one of the worst neighborhoods in Wilmington. I found this out from my brother in law after I had already booked and couldn't cancel. We were only there for one night so wasn't really an issue, but in driving around it was pretty apparent.
Our room was spacious and the furnishings okay, BUT when we walked in it smelled like the carpet had been just shampooed as did the hallway. The room was hot and had a musky smell so we cranked up the AC and went out. When we returned and removed our shoes the carpet felt very damp and wet. We called to request a room change and were told they didn't have anywhere to move us so we were stuck. It was even worse when we got in the beds and even the sheets felt damp. Thank goodness we had requested extra blankets which we had to go get, but we atleast we were able to use them as top and bottom sheets to keep from sleeping on what felt like damp sheets. Not a good nights sleep to say the least.

Also there was a McDonalds down the street. We went there as a last resort as everything shut down by 10. My son ordered ice tea and it had some kind of cleaning disinfectant in it! It smelled like bleach! Needless to say that's been taken up with the corportate office.

Dear Vagirl57,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Best Western Plus. I'd like to apologize that your stay fell short of your expectations; providing a clean experience is one of our biggest priorities and our housekeeping team will discuss your review promptly in order to improve our service. If you would like to discuss further, please don't hesitate to reach out to me at the number below. I am glad, however, to read that you found our staff friendly and helpful and enjoyed our complimentary hot breakfast, and hope you will give us another opportunity on your next visit to Wilmington to show our improvements. Thanks again for your review.

B, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Clean, new, great flat screen, wi-fi, what more could you want? Not too close to downtown,though, if that is. What you're looking for. It was close to our restaurant of choice, Osteria Cicchetti which was also quitegood. We would stay here again.

Stayed July 2013
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at BEST WESTERN PLUS University Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Judy and Allan S,

We appreciate you writing a review of our hotel and are delighted to read that you enjoyed our amenities and proximity to your favorite restaurant. Thank you for your recommendation and we can't wait for your next trip to Wilmington!

Daly Seven, Inc

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS University Inn? Share your experiences!