“a terrible experience” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
north carolina
“a terrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2008

We have just returned from our honeymoon which turned out a disaster. Today is March 3rd,2008. I did book my resevations on line however, I was on the phone with a guest services person at the same time of booking. They didn't have a clear desciption of the room that I wanted but they did show a picture. I called the hotel to ask what to book in order to get the room that I wanted. Well I was misinformed, went by the info that I was given on the phone and very upset upon arrival. My honeymoon suite was not what was shown on the internet site and I was later told by another employee that not only was that room already booked since the 8th of last month but you also had to book that particular room directly through the hotel. Needless to say after several calls to the hotel I was not told that I had to book that room directly through them. I was told that if I clicked on whirlpool/fireplace room that I was booking that room.(the one in the picture)
I was told that I would be comped a room and put into my requested room the following day. The following day I went to see the second room that they were going to move me to and that was a worse room than the one I was already in. When I went down to the front desk to tell them that it was still not the right room I was told by Brenda that since they comped my room and I was not paying for it then it shouldn't matter which room it was.
Needless to say I was livid!!. They didn't care or realize that this was my honeymoon weekend. Then the guest services person told the 800 customer service person that the room they tried to put me in was the only honeymoon suite that they had. I later spoke to another guess services person who stated the it was some type of LG room, it could not be booked on line. I would have accepted the fact that we booked the wrong room if I had not questioned the guest services person on the discription and asked her if she was sure that it was the room on line to book. She never stated to me that you couldn't book that room on line. She also stated that it was the only room they had like that but didn't tell me it was booked! If she had said it was booked that would have lead me to seek another hotel with the type of accomodations that I was seeking. After complaining to the 800 number guest services they had the general manager to call me Monday. He said that he was getting a different story from the employee and there was nothing else they could do since they comped my room and purchased us dinner. Well, I would have preferred to pay the price and get what I wanted. Do these people think that FREE makes it alright? After being spoken to in the manner in which we were spoken to on Saturday FREE couldn't possibly fix it.
Moral of this simply stated is be careful what you book even if you are speaking to one of their guest services personel because they will tell you anything to get their hotel booked. Also pictures are not what you get for your money in this hotel. Oh yeah, we were put into a suite with a fireplace and whirlpool just not what we wanted. According to the general manager we got what we booked.

• Liked — some of the guest services people were really nice
  • Disliked — I took the time to call the hotel directly and still didn't get what I asked for
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

This hotel could be a great property with a renovation. I was excited to stay near Wrightsville on a business trip, but found the room to be undesirable. I think I slept with one eye open! Opt for the Hospital location in Wilmington until a renovation is done. Staff was very helpful!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Dingy rooms
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
LandfallParkHampton, Guest Care Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, responded to this review, December 27, 2008
A little over a year ago you stayed with us and I am very disappointed that your stay was less than satisfying. I do apologize and hope that you will come back to stay with us again now that we have renovated all of our traditional rooms. Every traditional room now has new cherrywood finished furniture, granite countertops, and 32" flat screen LCD TVs. Our rooms are looking better than ever! I really hope that you will return soon and see what improvments our property has been through and the best part is we are still working on more to come. If you ever come back to town, please give me a call. Thanks and take care,
Josh Sauer
Guest Care Manager
Dearborn, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2007

We chose this hotel based upon Trip Advisor reviews while traveling on vacation. It was a beautiful property. We enjoyed the pool. The lobby area is very nice to relax in. There is a patio area with rocking chairs too!

• Liked — lobby/pool area
  • Disliked — hallways did not appear to be air conditioned - uncomfortably warm.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bettendorf
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

Stayed this hotel at least 8 years ago when it was new. The hotel is still in great shape and well maintained. We've stayed at numerous Hampton Inns over the years, clearly this one is a cut above the rest. The suite we had included a kitchen, our bedroom clean and well appointed. We really slept well at this hotel, great beds and comfortable pillows.

The kitchen had enough dinnerware for 4, perfect for us, limited cookware. Clearly setup to discourage heavy cooking in the rooms. There was a fridge, dishwasher and microwave.

Breakfast was of the continental variety, the coffee was above average and hit the spot. They also had pre packaged pancakes, french toast and eggs, they were ok. All included in the stay.

Free internet in the lobby to print off boarding passes was a nice perk the day we departed and lots of ample parking.

The pool was nice and big and clean. This hotel had a bar as well.

Best of all, we liked this hotel due to it's close proximity to Wrighsville beach.

• Liked — Location and Quality of Accomodations
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2006

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel. Every experience was outstanding from check-in to check-out. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the area looking for a great hotel and a great price. My wife could not believe how huge the suites were and the low price we paid. Many thanks to the front desk staff for your warm welcome and sincere well wishes and goodbye. I will certainly stay here again when I visit my in-laws.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — crowded breakfast
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Hartford, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2006

We use Hampton Inn's many times during the year for our road travel plans. This Hampton is not as nice as many others we have stayed at. Rooms are plain. Interior halls need a good cleaning, very strong odor, not pleasant. Nice touch that there's a refrigerator and microwave in the room. Location is great as it's right across the street from a wonderful eating and shopping area. Had a great salad and delicous dessert at Boca's.
Starbucks is about a block down the street.
We will be travelling to Wilmington often over the next 4 years as our daughter is a new student at UNCW. Will try some other hotels before coming back here. Actually we're booked at a bed and breakfast for family weekend.
If you're looking for convenience and location than this hotel will suffice.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dowdy appearance, hotel needs to refurbish it's rooms and interior hallways
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2006

My husband and I had a wonderful couple of nites stay at this hotel and we'll be back for a longer stay in future. The atmosphere was happy, relaxed and comfortable. The room was spotlessly clean and I don't have even one bad thing to say about the room. I was so impressed I snapped some pics for this review to share with those reading this. Do check in.....you won't want to check out!

• Stayed July 2006

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach? Share your experiences!