“Great Holiday Inn, great service and breakfast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center

You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   160 Van Campen Blvd, Wilmington, NC 28403   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #19 of 43 Hotels in Wilmington
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Holiday Inn, great service and breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed here one night just before Hurricane Arthur ( we had been camping at Carolina Beach state park). The location is very convenient to UNCW. The staff was all very very nice and friendly - every one we passed in the hall, the lady handling the breakfast, front desk, etc.
We always stay at Holiday inn suites, and this one had the best staff and best breakfast -- same choices as others, but fresher and hotter, not overcooked, etc. Pancake machine worked (yea).
The kids swam in the outdoor pool, which was clean and nice size for them. (I liked they had towels by pool and a drop spot to leave the used ones).
We had a room with two queens. (normally if whole family is travelling, we prefer two queens with the pull out couch, as we have 3 kids - not sure this one has this option).
The bathroom was clean, spotless - we had to ask for more towels (there was enough for 3 people - but this normal every holiday inn we go to). They delivered the towels immediately. (not even 5 minute wait).
We will definitely stay at this Holiday Inn again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Samantha V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you for the wonderful "5 Star Review". We are so glad you stay with us, hope Arthur didn't ruining your camping trip completely. We hope to see you and ypur family for your future trips to Wilmington, NC!

Best Wishes,
Steve Janoski

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Jonesville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Clean Rooms and very friendly and helpful staff ( Thanks Meagan ) Good breakfast ,as usual :-)
The staff kept the breakfast items well stocked and were very quick to help you. Well greeted at check in and check out. Very professional and courteous with out that "fakeness" like "this is just my job" Just a few minutes from Wrightsville beach and other attractions. Nice pool area. Clean and relaxing. Parking lot well lit. Only 2 reason not "Excellent" is that they are not pet friendly :-( and there was no fan in the bathroom of the room I was in? O.o but could not find anything else wrong :-) and I was looking LoL

Room Tip: Ask for a room on second floor west side. That's away from main street/highway and away from po...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Greetings,

I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay, we are driven to provide exceptional service to all our guests and its' nice to hear you noticed. I'm happy you mentioned Megan at the front desk as she is new to our team and already making an impact on our guests. Looking forward to your next visit...

RAMSEUR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

The room was nice and clean. The staff was very helpful, friendly, and accommodating. Very pleasurable stay. We utilizes most all the amenities the hotel had to offer and were not disappointed with any of them. The buffet breakfast was tasty and plentiful. Complimentary coffee, tea, and ice water are always available at the front desk area. This hotel has changed my previous opinion on Holiday Inns. Holiday Inn will be my first choice next time I go on vacation.

Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We believe that are people make all the difference. I'm pleased to hear that you had time to utilize all the amenities that the hotel had to offer, after all they are there for you. Looking forward to your next visit...

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Was in town for my nephew's wedding. The stay was exceptional from check-in to check-out. The staff were caring, courteous professionals. The property was clean and the amenities plentiful. I traveled with my niece and her two young children (2 & 5 yrs). The staff were so helpful and accommodating, even when the kids' behavior was not the best. I would definitely recommend this establishment and will stay there every time I visit my nephew and his new wife in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, traveling with small children is always an adventure. We understand that our people make all the difference.

North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We were in Wilmington, NC for my great-nephews graduation. The main reason I chose this hotel was that I could use my Rewards Points. I booked 2 rooms, one with king bed and one with 2 queens. The beds were WONDERFUL. My parents said they slept great & so did the 3 people in my room. The hotel is located behind the Walmart. My nephews said it wasn't in a great neighborhood but we though it was fine. I had read on Tripadvisor good reviews of it. I would stay here again if back in the area. Upon checking in they had cookies for guests. They provided a wheel chair for my Dad who has difficulty walking distances. Dad's room had a noise, but couldn't figure out exactly where it was coming from. I thought perhaps it was the TV or fridge but I just unplugged one item & it stopped. Never figured out what it was, but apparently not the fridge. They didn't use the TV anyway, so they were fine. I plugged it back in before we left the next morning. I have read other reviews about the beds not being comfortable but we certainly didn't experience this at all. They had breakfast in the morning which was the usual fare. The entrance area was a bit small, but okay.The hotel has a bit of age on it, but we were satisfied with our stay. As stated above, I used points + $40.00 for my room & the other was $157.00 with senior discount.

Room Tip: The room with the noise was #433 or 431...can't remember which one, but it was the one closest t...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Greetings,

Thank you for your kind words, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay. Great location, great service and great guests a winning combination....

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Let me say first above all things at this HIE was that the people were really nice. But kind of like Thelma Lou's cousin that went out with Gomer, it was about the same situation. Although it seems that many things have been done with the rooms interior-wise, the rooms still had a blocky, basic look that was not warm or inviting upon entry. The bathroom was of a decent size. The sitting chair over in the corner was ok, but not made for sitting in for extended periods of time.

I had booked with IHG over the phone to use points for the room, but the lady I spoke with completely botched the reservation, which I didn't find out until we arrived to check in. Unfortunately the gentleman helping me at the front desk, while very nice, seemed to just be coming off of training or didn't have enough experience with the computer system to fix things for us. Another person behind the desk had to help him.

The breakfast was not the greatest I've had at one of these properties....Yes, I know the eggs are instant, but they don't have to be that watery. Turkey sausage links were definitely better than patties.

The shower rod was about to come out of the wall and the lamp on the nightstand decided to swallow its switch when we used it once. I've never had to call the front desk for that much maintenance before. I think what bothered me was that whenever we talked to anyone about getting help for things the question "When are you checking out" was asked....does it really matter? This crap is broke and you need to fix it, if not for me, then for everyone coming after me.

The outdoor pool was a good option to have, Typically it was empty and my daughter enjoyed it. It would have been nice to see someone cleaning it each day, or at least have the pole with a net so I could have fished out the leaves and bugs that seemed to always be floating around in it.

At least they had Otis Spunkmeyer chocolate chip cookies.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Greetings,

Thanks for the survey, as you mentioned it is the little things that matter... I have shared your comments with our Maintenance department and we have addressed these issues. As a guest you should never have to point out things to us we should take care of them before you ever see them. I will remain dedicated to the consistency of our product.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I stayed at Holiday Inn over a week ago for a short vacation with my husband. I had such a wonderful time and loved the amenities and breakfast there. Everything was awesome, including the staff, however; Anna who was supposedly one of the managers was so incredible rude. I cannot believe that someone would give her a position in customer service. I myself work in the customer service industry and wouldn't DREAM of speaking to someone how she did. I sadly will not return due to her awful treatment of guest.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Greetings,

Thank you for filling out a survey, I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and I will speak to Anna to see what happened. I believe that everyone should be treated with respect as you were. My attention will be focused on making sure that happens.

Steve

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center? Share your experiences!