Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center
Ranked #17 of 43 Hotels in Wilmington
North Carolina
“Great Beds”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We were in Wilmington, NC for my great-nephews graduation. The main reason I chose this hotel was that I could use my Rewards Points. I booked 2 rooms, one with king bed and one with 2 queens. The beds were WONDERFUL. My parents said they slept great & so did the 3 people in my room. The hotel is located behind the Walmart. My nephews said it wasn't in a great neighborhood but we though it was fine. I had read on Tripadvisor good reviews of it. I would stay here again if back in the area. Upon checking in they had cookies for guests. They provided a wheel chair for my Dad who has difficulty walking distances. Dad's room had a noise, but couldn't figure out exactly where it was coming from. I thought perhaps it was the TV or fridge but I just unplugged one item & it stopped. Never figured out what it was, but apparently not the fridge. They didn't use the TV anyway, so they were fine. I plugged it back in before we left the next morning. I have read other reviews about the beds not being comfortable but we certainly didn't experience this at all. They had breakfast in the morning which was the usual fare. The entrance area was a bit small, but okay.The hotel has a bit of age on it, but we were satisfied with our stay. As stated above, I used points + $40.00 for my room & the other was $157.00 with senior discount.

Room Tip: The room with the noise was #433 or 431...can't remember which one, but it was the one closest t...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Greetings,

Thank you for your kind words, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay. Great location, great service and great guests a winning combination....

Steve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Let me say first above all things at this HIE was that the people were really nice. But kind of like Thelma Lou's cousin that went out with Gomer, it was about the same situation. Although it seems that many things have been done with the rooms interior-wise, the rooms still had a blocky, basic look that was not warm or inviting upon entry. The bathroom was of a decent size. The sitting chair over in the corner was ok, but not made for sitting in for extended periods of time.

I had booked with IHG over the phone to use points for the room, but the lady I spoke with completely botched the reservation, which I didn't find out until we arrived to check in. Unfortunately the gentleman helping me at the front desk, while very nice, seemed to just be coming off of training or didn't have enough experience with the computer system to fix things for us. Another person behind the desk had to help him.

The breakfast was not the greatest I've had at one of these properties....Yes, I know the eggs are instant, but they don't have to be that watery. Turkey sausage links were definitely better than patties.

The shower rod was about to come out of the wall and the lamp on the nightstand decided to swallow its switch when we used it once. I've never had to call the front desk for that much maintenance before. I think what bothered me was that whenever we talked to anyone about getting help for things the question "When are you checking out" was asked....does it really matter? This crap is broke and you need to fix it, if not for me, then for everyone coming after me.

The outdoor pool was a good option to have, Typically it was empty and my daughter enjoyed it. It would have been nice to see someone cleaning it each day, or at least have the pole with a net so I could have fished out the leaves and bugs that seemed to always be floating around in it.

At least they had Otis Spunkmeyer chocolate chip cookies.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Greetings,

Thanks for the survey, as you mentioned it is the little things that matter... I have shared your comments with our Maintenance department and we have addressed these issues. As a guest you should never have to point out things to us we should take care of them before you ever see them. I will remain dedicated to the consistency of our product.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I stayed at Holiday Inn over a week ago for a short vacation with my husband. I had such a wonderful time and loved the amenities and breakfast there. Everything was awesome, including the staff, however; Anna who was supposedly one of the managers was so incredible rude. I cannot believe that someone would give her a position in customer service. I myself work in the customer service industry and wouldn't DREAM of speaking to someone how she did. I sadly will not return due to her awful treatment of guest.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Greetings,

Thank you for filling out a survey, I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and I will speak to Anna to see what happened. I believe that everyone should be treated with respect as you were. My attention will be focused on making sure that happens.

Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. The beds were nto comfortable and the rooms AC was the old style that blew behind the curtains. 68 degrees was the comfort point. The room is poorly laid out for business travel with the desk and plugins close to and facing the window, The table is basically at the foot of a bed if you get the two queen layout. The beds felt like they still had the spring versions in the rooms.I think this hotel gets alot of out of town worker use, there seemed to be construction crews etc. the week I was there. Maybe when it is used like that they do not make upgrades for cusotmers. Either way, the beds were less than comfortable and the bathroom was pretty standard. I only give bad reviews when bad things actually happen, so in this case it will be an average review because I would seek other options in the future when staying in this area for this prices range.

Room Tip: Queen double bad for business traveller who needs to work at desk.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Greetings,

Thank you for sharing your comments I am sorry you didn't enjoy the beds most of the comments we receive are positive however they are a little on the softer side than firm. I have shared your comments with the staff and we will use them to better the guest experience. We have just completed our million dollar renovation of the property and felt comfortable we addressed all areas of the hotel. We will continue to improve thanks again.

Wilmington NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

There are a lot of Hotel choices in Wilmington, NC. I choose the Holiday Inn Express for several reasons. Most importantly, what separates this hotel from the others in a comparative price range is the staff. From the Regional Manager to the Housekeeping Staff, all personnel are well trained, professional people who ensure a pleasant experience for their guests. A Huge Thank You To Everyone! I thoroughly enjoyed my recent three day stay! Still, I was just on vacation and...I need a rest! It was a busy trip for me. I was able to accomplish a great deal sitting outside by the pool!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review. We try to provide the best guest experience to all of our guests and it sounds as if you took full advantage of all we have to offer. Thanks again and looking forward to your next visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Got a great deal online and reserved because of the excellent ratings. Very clean and friendly. About 30 mins from ocean but for the price we got it was well worth it. Indoor pool is a bit small but was perfect with our family because it was rarely occupied. Breakfast was great for free. 24/7 complimentary tea and coffee. Limited channels for kids but again for the price it was super clean and comfortable. Will definitely stay again and again. Pet-friendly but never heard any barking. Only a few noisy neighbors in the hall at 7:30 am. Very close to Walmart, Walgreens and restaurants and about 5 mins from the Battleship Memorial.

Stayed May 2014
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Greetings,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for our honeymoon Memorial Day weekend and figured it's not on the beach should be a nice quite getaway. We'll after driving 2 hours we finically arrived service was average. Coffee was cold and pretty much empty I did enjoy the fresh fruit available Upon leaving we check the room just making sure we did not leave any thing behind. Beside the widow there was on old dirty blue sock. We knew for sure it wasn't ours then we got grossed out and started looking around we noticed the flatware was dirty it has some black substance splashed on it. Overall it was an average experience I would stay just inspect the rooms upon arrival.

• Stayed May 2014
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It is through comments like yours we can improve. I shared your comments with our Housekeeping Department and used this as a training to improve room clenleness for future guests.

Steve

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center? Share your experiences!