You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   160 Van Campen Blvd, Wilmington, NC 28403   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Got a great deal online and reserved because of the excellent ratings. Very clean and friendly. About 30 mins from ocean but for the price we got it was well worth it. Indoor pool is a bit small but was perfect with our family because it was rarely occupied. Breakfast was great for free. 24/7 complimentary tea and coffee. Limited channels for kids but again for the price it was super clean and comfortable. Will definitely stay again and again. Pet-friendly but never heard any barking. Only a few noisy neighbors in the hall at 7:30 am. Very close to Walmart, Walgreens and restaurants and about 5 mins from the Battleship Memorial.

Stayed May 2014
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Greetings,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit.

Steve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed for our honeymoon Memorial Day weekend and figured it's not on the beach should be a nice quite getaway. We'll after driving 2 hours we finically arrived service was average. Coffee was cold and pretty much empty I did enjoy the fresh fruit available Upon leaving we check the room just making sure we did not leave any thing behind. Beside the widow there was on old dirty blue sock. We knew for sure it wasn't ours then we got grossed out and started looking around we noticed the flatware was dirty it has some black substance splashed on it. Overall it was an average experience I would stay just inspect the rooms upon arrival.

• Stayed May 2014
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It is through comments like yours we can improve. I shared your comments with our Housekeeping Department and used this as a training to improve room clenleness for future guests.

virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed here for Memorial day weekend as our son was playing in a basketball tournament up the road. We picked this hotel for the great rates, free breakfast and proximity to the tournament, the university (some of the kids wanted to check out UNC WIlmington while in town) and the beach! It was perfect! The rooms are spacious with a fridge, microwave and free internet. The breakfast is free and EXPANSIVE! HOT cinnamon buns, omelettes, sausage and gravy with biscuits, yogurt, fruit etc etc. Excellent. The staff was awesome and worked s hard to make sur everyone had a good stay even though they were booked SOLID for Saturday and Sunday night. They have a pretty large pool and deck area. Wrightsville Beach is about 4 - 5 miles away and an incredible beach to visit. Eat at the Oceanic if you can, It is on the pier and excellent also. I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: all good rooms that I can see
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Greetings,

Thank you for your kind words we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We work very hard to provide great customer service, and we are glad you noticed.

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I have stayed at this property 4-5 times in the last 4 years. It had always been clean before this trip and is in a quiet location. This trip I noticed that there was some renovations that had been done to the breakfast room which was good since the hotel was full and it added more seating.

I had a problem before I even got to the hotel with the front desk person changing my room rates when I added days to our trip (some nights were $80 more a night). I had great rates since I booked my reservations almost 6 months in advance. Luckily I called before I got there, found the issue and got it straighten out. But I really think that the only reason they honored the rate was because I had my original reservations with the rate on it (lesson - print reservations when you make them and call the 800 phone number when making changes).

I meant to see if they are under new management - The front desk staff was not as friendly and welcoming as they had been in the past. At one point we walked in with the owner or manager who was out smoking, I would have thought since he told us that he would have asked about our stay, but no - nothing was exchanged. I should have asked because prior to this stay everyone was wonderful.

As for our room, it was clean, comfortable and large - we had a king with couch and the bed was just perfect for me. There was little to no noise from the outside so you could get a good nights sleep. We we checked in the room and bathroom were extremely clean. We were there multiple nights and the room was not cleaned one of the days, I was assuming it was due to the fact that I changed my reservations. I didn't call to get it cleaned - it wasn't a big deal to me. However, they do need to clean around the hotel, they did not vacuum the halls - leaves blew in one day and they were there for 2 days. Even with that said, the maids were extremely friendly and polite which is a big plus to me.

The breakfast was great for a hotel breakfast bar - just enough selection. The staff that worked in the breakfast area was friendly and helpful, but it seems that when the hotel is full they could have two people out front helping with cleaning and resupplying.

With some of the issues I still rate the hotel a 4 because the room was clean, comfortable and quiet. These are the most important things for me.

Room Tip: The view isn't great in any room that is by the parking lot - we had a view of the back of walma...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Greetings,

Thanks for taking the time to fill out a survey; it's through comments like yours that we can improve. I am pleased that you found the hotel to be clean and comfortable. I will make sure we pay better attention to detail even when we are busy or sold out. We need to shine regardless to the house count.

Frederick, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

While this hotel has been renovated (and the staff is friendly), the renovations can't cover up the fact that the hotel is not properly maintained/cleaned. When we checked in we noticed that there was debri (candy wrappers, paper, food...) on the floor in the hallways. The carpet in the elevator was disgustingly dirty, there were strands of hair in the beds, there was what appeared to be a kidney bean behind the toilet, the toilet itself was dirty, the shower appeared to have just been wiped down (NOT cleaned), the wand to close the curtains in the bedroom area was broken...I could go on.

Not a great choice for those who like clean hotels.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Greetings,

First and foremost I would like to apologize for the state of your room. I have reviewed your comments with our housekeeping staff and the will use it as an opportunity to improve. I can assure you that we take great pride in the fact that we have a 100% sanitation score for both our breakfast area and our guest rooms.

summerville,sc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

The location is convenient to Wilmington's business district and also Wrightsville Beach. Room was well-priced for our April stay, and was spacious, comfortable and clean. Bathroom large and spotless, plenty of clean towels. Maid service excellent and friendly, too. But the bomb-diggity was the complimentary breakfast. HOLY COW. Fresh-made pancakes, yogurt, bagels, muffins, bacon, English muffins, cereal, oatmeal, sausage, biscuits, gravy, scrambled eggs, juices, milk, coffee... I LOVE THIS PLACE!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to review our property. I must confess I love the Breakfast too. Please come see us again soon.

Forest City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Stayed several days at the Holiday Inn Express and found it to be excellent. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and fresh. The breakfast was excellent. If you have business in Wilmington, or want to get away to one of the beaches, this is a great place to stay. We were impressed!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Steven J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review.... We are so pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay. Looking forward to your next visit.

Steve

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center? Share your experiences!