“Can't complain!!!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Rail: Tonbridge
Description: Light oak floors and modern tables, matched with a modern pub menu, makes The Poacher different from most ordinary pubs. All the food is freshly prepared and cooked onsite by head chef Andy Mclean and includes seasonal specialities such as wild boar and pheasant.The food is matched with an extensive wine list and local real ales. Both table and bar service are available which makes The Poacher a great destination for a quick pub lunch or a long celebratory dinner. In the summer, outside dining is available on the patio.Situated close to The Hop Farm and the private schools of Tonbridge.
“Can't complain!!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Seated immediately, attentive staff. Menu was good, I went for the roast dinner but couldn't decide what meat to go with so I had the poachers roast which is a mix of beef, pork and chicken, very generous portion size maybe could of had bit more veg but was sufficient. Atmosphere was good and it looked very nice, I definately will be going back I can't wait to taste the mussels

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Will never return!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Four of us came here on a Saturday night. We like to try different pubs and restaurants and we out out approximately once a month; we are not snobbish about food and we have had some great meals in some lovely surroundings.
I feel I need to write this review as this is a lovely country pub not working at its best.
To begin with there were only 2 members of staff at front of house, they were both serving behind the bar and waiting at tables. there were about 30 customers in the restaurant, so when they were serving meals there was nobody behind the bar!! Although the interior of the pub is lovely , there seemed to be no ambience.
We ordered a bottle of wine and were told that was the last bottle of its kind; we thought okay no problem, but from there it went from bad to worse!
The waitress came and took our order,three of us ordered steak and one of us ordered chicken, we had already been advised that the belly pork and monk fish was unavailable. After taking our order the waitress then returned to tell us that the chicken was no longer available and there was only one steak left- for a Saturday night ee thought this was dreadful. My partner then ordered the mussels and my friend ordered the beef, I ordered the fish and chips. My partner then had to change his starter as he'd already ordered mussels as had my friends husband. The only difference between the mussels as a starter and the mussels as main was a bowl of chips and a higher price! The beef in my friend's meal was mostly inedible as it was black and rock hard as if it had been in a warming cabinet for quite a length of time. When she told the waitress she was just given an off- hand apology. The staff seemed to lack enthusiasm and there was no rapport with any customers. We were not rude or angry but actually found the whole experience laughable as it was so bad. In my opinion The management of The Poacher need to take a long hard look at how they are running their business,as they don't seem to be making the most of such a lovely
pub.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Mediocre”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We visited The Poacher on 25 August for Sunday lunch. Did not get off to a great start as my partner's beer was warm and flat so he sent it back (no replacement was offered). He was rather patronisingly told by the young waiter 'it's an acquired taste'.( My partner is in his 40s and regularly drinks this brand. ) He left his starter of pate as it was pungent-tasting and unpleasant and I sent back my fish cake which was completely frozen in the middle. Drinks are expensive (about a tenner for a beer and a glass of wine). Roasts were ok but my beef was slightly overlooked and roast potatoes were reheated. Affogato and sponge pud were ok but the whole experience cost £77.80. Very disappointing.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Bad customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I live locally and eat out alot. There are plenty of lovely pubs and restaurants in this area. Unfortunately this one just doesn't get it. We went for lunch there a while ago and were underwhelmed. The food was ok but the atmosphere? There wasnt one.

We went back a week ago on a sunny afternoon. We walked into the bar area, there were 4 members of staff behind the bar all busy and we waited.....and waited. There were no other customers waiting just us. I think we must have been invisible as our presence standing at the bar looking at them was ignored. We obviously left after a few minutes and when we did I told them why we were leaving. The barman just looked at me and the waitress said a very unconvincing 'sorry' whilst walking away from me. I understand they were busy but a smile, saying hello and saying 'i'll be with you shortly' are just basic customer service,

Lack of staff training or just rude? We wont be going back again.

Visited August 2013
Essex, England
“Stained glass windows and good food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Previous reviewers have got it spot on. If you visit Marc Chagall's gorgeous stained glass windows in All Saints Church Tudeley, a close-by spot to get food is The Poacher. You can walk to it, (the road has no path some of the way, but it is not a busy place) but if in any doubt take the car. The food and service were very nice. A few choices on the menu were not available on the day but we were told before ordering and looked after very well.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere