“Can’t expect it to be a Ritz Carlton! :-(” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn Whiteville

You added Quality Inn Whiteville to your Saves list
Quality Inn Whiteville
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1415 North J.K. Powell Blvd, 701 Bypass, Whiteville, NC 28472 (Formerly Magnuson Hotel of Whiteville)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Whiteville
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Can’t expect it to be a Ritz Carlton! :-(”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel at least a dozen times during my visits to family in the small town. It's one of the handful of hotels that are decent enough to stay in. Years ago when it was the Holiday Inn Express their standard of only allowing out-of-town guest to stay at the location in fear of it turning into a short stay motel, like many of the other hotels in the town, was very appreciated. This is one of the reason I frequent this location, but in the recent years of the hotel changing hands they also changed their quality which is causing the hotel to suffer. My recent expense was not my greatest visits!

It seemed like I visited NC on the hottest day of the summer and they placed me in a room with no AC. When I complained they moved me into a room that had a major leak in the bathroom so the smell from the water sitting for days smelled moldy and was overbearing. They then moved me to another room that door would not lock. Lastly, they put me in a room that someone had just checked out of and may have dropped his bottle of cologne on the bathroom floor as well as the carpet. After moving around that much, I decided to just stay in that room, turn the AC to full blast and Febreeze the carpet as much as I could. After a few hours I could no longer smell the cologne and my stay was pretty decent.

My suggestion to the owners would be.... RENOVATE!!! The old furniture and carpet looks OLD AND WORN OUT!

In the end, for the price and location I can’t expect it to be a Ritz Carlton.

Room Tip: There's no elevator so if you don't like stairs... request the first floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

This was the second time I've stayed here, on business, and it is one of a handful of hotels in town. The room was clean and decent and met my needs as usual. The only issue I had was the placement of the "business area," meaning desk/chair for Wi-Fi/work use is directly in front of the AC unit. I had to participate in an internet conference via my laptop/webcam and had to shut off the AC in order to adequately hear. Of course, the room became very muggy and hot as this was the middle of July. The only other issue I noticed this time was the loudness of housekeeping staff. They were certainly upbeat, but could have kept the noise level down a couple of notches. Not everyone likes to hear yelling in the mornings, especially when you're trying to eat breakfast, slowly waking up. Great location, very easy access to highway.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was pretty proud of this hotel. It's a small hotel, but it's also in a small town. So for that, it's really good. There were some drawbacks, which I'll mention. However, here's how I rate hotels: if it's clean, I can't be too mean.

The room was very clean. I made a point to thank the housekeeper. The room showed some wear and tear, but still I felt I didn't have to wear socks around versus bare feet. The A/C worked well, and I slept quite well. The only oddity was that my shower did not have a plastic liner -- just the quilted cotton curtain. I carefully showered the first night to avoid making a mess, and then asked for one the next day. They said the Quality Inn inspector had just been there, and he wanted them removed. I guess they were gross. They worked to go get me a new liner. I guess an oversight.

Here's the only thing that made me pause. Like many hotels of this type, there are entries at each end of the building into stairwells (agree with others...no elevator here). At my end, the door to the outside would not close. Either the foundation has settled or the door warped...but it stays cracked no matter how hard you try to close it. If I were the manager, I'd work on that first. However, it's a small town with low crime...so I wasn't too worried. Still slept well.

If you're in town, give it a whirl. It's worth it's while. If you arrive and can't find something to eat, there's a grocery within walking distance. Pick up a meal that you can microwave and enjoy dinner in your room. I've stayed in 5-stars all over the world, and this place is pretty good for what it is.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
South Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Check In was by a Young Lady who had a lot of body Art and from the looks of her she didn't want to be at work that day. I had to have her check several TV remotes as the one in the room wouldn't work. I ended up looking up on how to program the remote myself. When it was time to go to bed I discovered that all they furnished was 2 sheets to cover up with. No one answered the front desk phone so I just suffered through the night and turned the AC off as I was getting cold. I had stayed here the month before but with some of the people lounging about I wasn't sure if they were guest or just wanting a place to hang out. I asked my company never to book me here again. The rooms were clean so that was the reason why I gave them Poor rating.

Room Tip: Stay away from this property
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Whiteville hotels

Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We were in the area for a family occasion and booked 3 rooms at this property. Don't expect much from your stay, and you will not be surprised. On the positive side, the rooms were very clean, with clean and comfortable bedding and bathrooms that were quite sanitary. The property is dated,including the furnishings, but fine for what you are paying. It's very basic, but serviceable.

The only real downside is the breakfast. Even though it's free and "hot" (NOT), do yourself a favor and head to the Waffle House (not far down the street). The eggs were powdered and reconstitued, the bacon may not have been meat at all and in any event was paper thin and very dry. Orange juice was 10% OJ, 90% juice, and the make-your-own waffles were undercooked (evidently a problem w/ the waffle iron) and had a most unusual- and not good - taste, and a worse aftertaste. Coffee also undrinkable. There was a staff of 3 who were presumably assigned to replenishing the breakfast items but they talked among themselves the entire time and never did a thing during the 30 minutes we were down there searching in vain for edible items.

Also note -- if you have a lot of, or heavy luggage, or problems lifting same, this is a 2-story property but has no elevator. If you don't want to, or cannot, pull your luggage up a flight of stairs, ask for a room on the 1st floor.

Room Tip: Book on the first floor or carry your luggage up a flight of stairs! No elevator.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I travel 5 days a week on business. It is true one of three hotels in town. First, poor cell signal o I gave my wife the number on phone which was the wrong number called front desk only to get attitude. Secondly I had to change rooms after killing several flying huge water bugs. My coworkers had to change rooms due AC not working. Then without fixing it gave the room to someone else.

• Stayed June 2012
South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

We were in town for the White Lake 1/2 Ironman. The hotel is centrally located off Route 74. Its next to an abandoned looking building, but felt quite safe.
The room was clean enough, the front desk clerk was civil.
The air conditioning in the room would not function on the high cool setting so it was a warm night. Noisy too, because people talking in the hall sounded like they were in our room. Light came in all around the door too, so leave the nightlight at home.
Apparently our shower had a broken pipe because a guest from downstairs came up to tell us to stop using it because their room was flooded. The front desk didn't call though.
We paid almost $100 for two queen-sized beds.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor and double check the a/c.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Quality Inn Whiteville? Share your experiences!