“For what it is, it's pretty good.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn Whiteville

Save Saved
You added Quality Inn Whiteville to your Saves list
Quality Inn Whiteville
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1415 North J.K. Powell Blvd, 701 Bypass, Whiteville, NC 28472 (Formerly Magnuson Hotel of Whiteville)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Whiteville
Raleigh, North Carolina
“For what it is, it's pretty good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was pretty proud of this hotel. It's a small hotel, but it's also in a small town. So for that, it's really good. There were some drawbacks, which I'll mention. However, here's how I rate hotels: if it's clean, I can't be too mean.

The room was very clean. I made a point to thank the housekeeper. The room showed some wear and tear, but still I felt I didn't have to wear socks around versus bare feet. The A/C worked well, and I slept quite well. The only oddity was that my shower did not have a plastic liner -- just the quilted cotton curtain. I carefully showered the first night to avoid making a mess, and then asked for one the next day. They said the Quality Inn inspector had just been there, and he wanted them removed. I guess they were gross. They worked to go get me a new liner. I guess an oversight.

Here's the only thing that made me pause. Like many hotels of this type, there are entries at each end of the building into stairwells (agree with others...no elevator here). At my end, the door to the outside would not close. Either the foundation has settled or the door warped...but it stays cracked no matter how hard you try to close it. If I were the manager, I'd work on that first. However, it's a small town with low crime...so I wasn't too worried. Still slept well.

If you're in town, give it a whirl. It's worth it's while. If you arrive and can't find something to eat, there's a grocery within walking distance. Pick up a meal that you can microwave and enjoy dinner in your room. I've stayed in 5-stars all over the world, and this place is pretty good for what it is.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

18 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
South Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Check In was by a Young Lady who had a lot of body Art and from the looks of her she didn't want to be at work that day. I had to have her check several TV remotes as the one in the room wouldn't work. I ended up looking up on how to program the remote myself. When it was time to go to bed I discovered that all they furnished was 2 sheets to cover up with. No one answered the front desk phone so I just suffered through the night and turned the AC off as I was getting cold. I had stayed here the month before but with some of the people lounging about I wasn't sure if they were guest or just wanting a place to hang out. I asked my company never to book me here again. The rooms were clean so that was the reason why I gave them Poor rating.

Room Tip: Stay away from this property
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We were in the area for a family occasion and booked 3 rooms at this property. Don't expect much from your stay, and you will not be surprised. On the positive side, the rooms were very clean, with clean and comfortable bedding and bathrooms that were quite sanitary. The property is dated,including the furnishings, but fine for what you are paying. It's very basic, but serviceable.

The only real downside is the breakfast. Even though it's free and "hot" (NOT), do yourself a favor and head to the Waffle House (not far down the street). The eggs were powdered and reconstitued, the bacon may not have been meat at all and in any event was paper thin and very dry. Orange juice was 10% OJ, 90% juice, and the make-your-own waffles were undercooked (evidently a problem w/ the waffle iron) and had a most unusual- and not good - taste, and a worse aftertaste. Coffee also undrinkable. There was a staff of 3 who were presumably assigned to replenishing the breakfast items but they talked among themselves the entire time and never did a thing during the 30 minutes we were down there searching in vain for edible items.

Also note -- if you have a lot of, or heavy luggage, or problems lifting same, this is a 2-story property but has no elevator. If you don't want to, or cannot, pull your luggage up a flight of stairs, ask for a room on the 1st floor.

Room Tip: Book on the first floor or carry your luggage up a flight of stairs! No elevator.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012 via mobile

I travel 5 days a week on business. It is true one of three hotels in town. First, poor cell signal o I gave my wife the number on phone which was the wrong number called front desk only to get attitude. Secondly I had to change rooms after killing several flying huge water bugs. My coworkers had to change rooms due AC not working. Then without fixing it gave the room to someone else.

• Stayed June 2012
South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

We were in town for the White Lake 1/2 Ironman. The hotel is centrally located off Route 74. Its next to an abandoned looking building, but felt quite safe.
The room was clean enough, the front desk clerk was civil.
The air conditioning in the room would not function on the high cool setting so it was a warm night. Noisy too, because people talking in the hall sounded like they were in our room. Light came in all around the door too, so leave the nightlight at home.
Apparently our shower had a broken pipe because a guest from downstairs came up to tell us to stop using it because their room was flooded. The front desk didn't call though.
We paid almost $100 for two queen-sized beds.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor and double check the a/c.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

This hotel is a GREAT place to stay. The hotel is up to date (my room had an older model T.V), clean and very comfortable. The staff is friendly and rooms are priced very reasonable. Be prepared to eat breakfast elsewhere, I tried the eggs and bacon they seemed to be imitation we went to Southern Sizzler for their buffet breakfast (about $6 a person).

Room Tip: Room 137 has the new model T.V.. I was in room 131 has older model T.V.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Asheville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

This is the best place in town and the other two motels are not worth considering. In fact, there's nothing better within thirty miles. And it's appropriately priced at about 80 bucks.

Whiteville sits at the edges of two swamps which means that moisture and mildew are issues in any building. The last time we stayed here, it smelled pretty bad and the staff was indifferent at best. It's been renovated and it looks like it's under new management. So the desk staff is intelligent and accomodating (thank you, Renee) and the rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable. And Basic. And now, the whole building is non-smoking. But there are still some issues.

The televisions are still old tube sets and the sound was not coordinated with the picture. And the telephone system would not allow an incoming call from my wife to be routed to the room.

These are minor, but irritating, problems. If I could rate it 3.5 stars, I would have. But if you are reading this five years from now, you might want to ask for a top floor room because by then, the mildew will have reclaimed the ground floor. Can't be helped.

Room Tip: ask for upper floors. less chance for mildew.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to Quality Inn Whiteville? Share your experiences!