“Staff Attitude” 4 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Whiteville
“Staff Attitude”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Room was very clean and nice. Only problem I had was with the attitude of the staff. The breakfast room had a great selection and it was also clean. As long as you do not have to ask any questions at front desk you will enjoy staying here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

Overpriced and not clean, but sadly was told it was the safer of surounding hotels, that some cod be rented by the hour. Front clerk told me the area had many crack addicts which aS unnerving as I was traveling with my young granddaughter. Paid 76.13 for this room and it was very unclean what bothered me the most was I took my shoes off and the carpet was drenched. Nasty. We had to wear our shoes in the room. Pretty run down and didn't feel safe.

• Stayed July 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I questioned staff when they quoted me $55.00 a night for one person but as I told her you seem to have to pay more when you are not close to the interstate. Room was clean but ceiling was disgusting

I did take pictures but don't see how to add with the mobile app I am using

• Stayed November 2012
Shepherd, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

There is something beyond pathetic about being dropped off at a motel by a wrecker hauling your car at 5:00 p.m. on a Thursday night. There’s a pretty good chance that you’re not going to hoof all of your stuff to another motel; besides, the major competitor was already booked. We observed the completely drained and “under repair” swimming pool out front as we lugged our stuff to our room. Once in we discovered that the air conditioning was not quite getting the job done. There were heat advisories in the area indicating that the heat index was well over 110 degrees and my partner estimated that our room was probably around 85+ warm. (I was thinking 82 but who am I to argue?) The room was clean but unappealing; with older furnishing and a well-worn look. We did our preliminary check for bedbugs (none) and then discovered that the adjoining room door-lock also seemed to be in need of repair. Whilst fiddling with that my man apparently annoyed the folks in the adjoining room and an interesting conversation ensued between the two. After sweltering for a couple hours, we decided to request a fan from the front desk. Thankfully, once the woman at the front desk heard that our air was not functioning properly she said, “I’m not going to do that to you guys” and moved us to a room way down to the other end of the motel. Upon entry into that room it was like stepping into a completely different place! This section was obviously a later addition. The air conditioner was digital and functioning; the furniture was pleasant and in good repair; and importantly, there was no problem at all with the adjoining door. We ended up enjoying a good night’s sleep and a pleasant morning while waiting for our car to be repaired. Sometimes I read reviews on TripAdvisor and think, “How can people stay at the same place and have such wildly different opinions?” Well, this is a perfect example. Tip: Ask to stay in the far end of the motel!

Room Tip: Request a room at the far end of the motel; the "newer" section.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Holden Beach, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

During Hurrican Irene we had pulled our boat from Holden Beach to the Econolodge in Whiteville to find a full parking lot and no rooms available. Well the person at the counter seen our situation and we got a room. I cannot say enough good things about Econolodge because they were their when we needed a place to stay. I can say that the rooms were nice and the rates were fair. We also enjoyed the free cont. breakfast the next morning before returning back home. Thanks Econolodge

Charlie and Bonnie

Room Tip: During the next Hurricane, we will stay again at the Econolodge. We would be satisfied with any of t...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Mount Airy, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Stayed here for the first time to work a new stop on our sales route. The room was as clean as expected from an Econo Lodge. The price was aprox $60.00 ...The staff was freindly enough and there was a small resturant just beside the hotel which is open late. The area looks a little shady but we had no problems. Front desk said there was a free breakfast in the mornings. We decided to do McDonalds instead. Not to say it was bad... we just didn't have time to try it ,so we skipped it and hit the drive thru.
This looks about as good as it gets in this town other than the Quality Inn up the street, but it is ran by the same people and same mgr. The Quality claims to be a non smoking facility and I am a smoker.
Thats why we picked the Econo over the Quality.
This is an ok hotel, and I will most likely be there again in a few weeks.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the side facing the resturant. It is well lighted and there were several police...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

My room was overbooked and someone tried to get into the room when i was in bed. Tried to call the front desk using the room telephone and dialing "0" but the front desk did not answer. I had to use my cell phone to call the hotel number and the desk clerk answered. Informed clerk that someone tried to get into my room. She stated that she gave someone a key on two occasions to get into the room and she did not realize that the room was overbooked. There was a bag left in the room and clerk wanted me to bring the bag to the front desk but I refused and asked that she come and get it. Didn't know if this was a scam or not. Clerk came to get bag and apologize and offered a $6 discount. Too scared to go to sleep!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!