“Reliable good food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Kathmandu, Nepal
“Reliable good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

It started out as a small diner and its grown to be one of the Asheville area's most reliable and popular choices for dining out. Brunch on Sunday is insanely popular and you need to go before 12 to get a table without waiting. Food is good, service is good. Its my 'go to' restaurant if I have out of town guests. I eat here often so don;t have just one dining experience to describe, but last weekend went for brunch and had their spinach and goat cheese omelette which was really good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Canton, North Carolina
“Sometimes living in the past can be succulent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

My wife, our friends from college (some forty and maybe a little bit more years ago) and I set out to try Soba's, a new restaurant in Weaverville where our friends live. Unfortunately, I believe that everyone from NC, TN,VA, SC and CA and all states in between had the same idea. As a result, we ended up at a restaurant we used to go to years ago that I personally have not been to for a long, long time. Needless to say, if a restaurant does not change or adapt, it will not survive. Stoney Knob is not the hang out I remember. They have changed and up-dated the décor, the menu and everything. The menu is eclectic since the chefs come from everywhere. The cost is a little pricey for the local clientele but very reasonable compared to restaurants of equal (or less) quality. With drinks, food, etc. and excellent service a couple may spend around $80 tip included. My wife and I, being foodies, have spent more than that at three and four stars restaurants including going to Commander's Palace in New Orleans prior to Hurricane Katrina, at 4 star Michelin restaurants in the Netherlands, and other well known restaurants in the US and Europe. My wife had Sargent's Scallops and Braised Pork Bellies. She called it Ambrosia and, trying it, I don't think I could say it any better. Try it at your peril. You will be disappointed in any other scallop dish you try. I had the Carne Argentina with chimichurri sauce and shrimp. The salsa was outstanding and I never had a meal of this quality when I visited Argentina. All of the meals that our friends and we shared were excellent to outstanding. The service was impeccable. The prices were reasonable considering the quality, ambience and service. My wife was born Western North Carolina and I came to the mountains in1961. Both of us have travelled extensively both due to our families and my service in the military. I personally cannot think of more than two or three restaurants that rival or exceed the meal that I had. Obviously, since this is my first visit in years, I don't know how consistent they are but they hit a home run this last Friday, August 9, 2013. Frankly, I have not enjoyed a restaurant this much in years, which is why my wife and I generally cook at home. This also explains why I don't review WNC very often. We generally enjoy our own cooking with organic meats and produce. I have no idea whether Stoney Knob Café is organic or not. I will be going back.

Asheville, North Carolina
“Never disappointing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Another weekend in Asheville, another outstanding meal at Stoney Knob Cafe. This time we had the calamari again, to die for, and I had the Mediterranean Grouper special with an excellent lemon- sauce. Outstanding. My husband had the Zorba the Greek Lamb entree which he loved. Don't miss this restaurant!

Chicago, Illinois
“Good Variety”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Eclectic menu and decor. Reasonably priced and good food. Wait staff are cheerful and the fried okra is a must.

Visited July 2013
Providence, Rhode Island
“Ecclectic in appearance & menu options”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

A most welcome change to the many chains we can't seem to escape. Reflective of this unique area both in appearance as well as in menu variety. Attention to quality & presentation were evident. The staff was attentive & friendly.

• Visited July 2013