“Pleasant stay at the Inn” 4 of 5 stars

The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   176 Country Club Drive, Waynesville, NC 28786   |
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Waynesville
Lexington, South Carolina
“Pleasant stay at the Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We were looking to escape for couple of days when the Groupon for the Waynesville Inn popped up. We noticed the “historic room” and that is what we got. The Inn has a modern appearance that somewhat hides the older parts built in the 1920s. The hallway to our room was narrow with about 7 foot ceilings. The room reminded us of a rustic lodge room with dark brown trim and furniture with branch type legs and headboard.

The room met out requirements of being clean with comfortable, if simple, furniture. The King sized bed was firm but comfortable. The room was divided into a sleeping and sitting area with the bathroom between. The bathroom was clean and more modern but not fancy. We were in room 256 which overlooked an immaculate golf course...made me want to start playing golf. We had a small balcony to sit on and enjoy the view of the course with the mountains in the background. The staff was pleasant and responded quickly to a problem with the A/C.

My wife and I spend very little time in our rooms when traveling so the room was more than adequate for our needs. If you spend a lot of time in the room, I can see where you might be somewhat disappointed. The TV was about 26 inches with many cable channels.. The free internet connection gave us fast service. There was a coffeemaker and small refrigerator in the room.

The breakfast that came with the Groupon was a buffet style with the omelets and eggs
being cooked on demand. The food and service were good.

Waynesville is a small town surrounded by mountains with a number of galleries and shops in an attractive downtown. There are other small towns worth exploring nearby and Asheville is about 30 miles away.

We enjoyed our stay at the Inn and would return on a similar deal.

Room Tip: Facing the golf course gives a great view, but they start mowing about 7-7:30 am.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
thewaynesvilleinn, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts about the property with us and the TripAdvisor community. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and I appreciate your review, as I believe it is a very accurate description of a typical stay in our historic Lodge building. I hope we will have you back to Waynesville sometime soon. Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We bought our room with a groupon and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of our stay, I see a lot of people like to complain about the decor or the rooms being out of date. It's true the rooms could use some updating but to say that there was a bait and switch is ridiculous. The rooms look EXACTLY like they do on the website. I was not at all surprised when I entered my room and was actually thrilled with the unexpected beautiful view! I asked for an upgrade and was given a room in Golfview that is next to the spa which is an awesome spa! Our groupon included dinner for 2 at the Cork and Cleaver which was very well done with a very impressive wine list. Everyone was very nice and overly accommodating. We arrived late for dinner but the waitstaff sat us and gave us her full attention. The first morning breakfast was hectic and crowded and they were out of everything. They prepared an omelet for me any way I liked it and brought us our own pot of coffee for the inconvenience. Nice! The next morning, the breakfast ran much smoother and they had an omelet bar set up where they would prepare anything you wanted. Plus they had grits, biscuits, home fries, bacon, sausage, french toast, cereal, bagels, muffins, fresh fruit, yogurt. It was an amazing spread to be included with the room price. My one complaint is that the taproom's food was not nearly as good and the wine/beer selection mediocre. Everyone was overly nice and I feel like I made many friends.

Room Tip: Stay in the golfview not the main lodge. The rooms are larger and the view is beautiful. Just ask...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
thewaynesvilleinn, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Thank you so much for your time in posting a few comments about our property. I am very happy to see that you had such a nice time, and that we were able to make a recovery with you after that hectic breakfast the first morning. I have passed along your compliments to the staff and have taken note of some of the things that you feel can be improved. Thank you for your business. I hope we can have you as a guest again soon!
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa was just "OK". The rooms were clean, and truly have great potential, seemed mostly renovated, my only complaint was the room keys were difficult to work (I honestly wished they would have given me an old fashioned key) and the beds were a little over-worn and needed replacing in my room. Otherwise, the room was clean and well-lit. HUGE actually! The Golf Course was beautiful. I did not visit the spa, but it looked to be a fairly small building, so I don't think it would be a full service spa with sauna/steam room/etc but I could be wrong. The nightlife at the Tap Room in the evenings was very diverse and definitely worth avoiding if you are over 30y/o. It appeared to be full of guys ready for a fight and many under-age girls drinking...

The staff were extremely friendly though, and helpful.

If you're going for Golf, or for hiking/biking in the nearby Mountains, this would be a fine place to stay. I likely would not choose this for a "Couples get-away" or something of the like.

Room Tip: We enjoyed staying in the Golf Cottages, since they were further away from the nightlife at the Tap...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
thewaynesvilleinn, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Thanks so much for taking some time to post some thoughts on our property. I am encouraged that you found our staff to be helpful and were pleased with the cleanliness and size of your room. I appreciate your recommendations about improvements that can be made and have noted them for discussion with the management team. Thanks again for your review and we look forward to having you as a guest in the future!
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

Took my bestfriend here for her birthday weekend getaway. Thought I got a good deal on Groupon but wow was I wrong. First of all our room keys did not work after checking in, had to go back to front desk. Tom "taught us how to use the keys" apparently we did it too fast REALLY????? I think I know how to use a hotel key. Anyways, he gave us new keys, we went back and tried it again. Again did not work so here we go back to front desk. Tom had to get a maintenance guy named Dale to come and let us in. We got dressed then went to Cherokee to hang out, came back at 3am. The bar just closed down, there were drunk people outside of the hotel using all type of profanities, screaming about who knows what. And of course our keys did not work, 3am in the morning and here we are locked out of our room with drunk people around, it was pretty scary. We went to front desk once again spoke to Kim, explained to her the situation and asked if there's anyone could walk us back and make sure we are safe. Well of course she's the only one there and that no one could walk us...thank you so much for caring about our safety. Gave us new keys, 3rd set of new keys again did not work!!!! So back to front desk once again...she called Chris and he told her to use the actual key to let us in. Now she can walk us back, and yeah she tried every single key...none of them worked!!! And did I mention all of our stuff were in the room?? Apparently all the double bed rooms were booked so she had to put us in 2 different rooms!! Did not sleep well at all because the room was so little and the people who stayed beside me kept on making all type of noises and you can hear every steps that they make! Was gonna sleep in but no was not able to. So I just got up, got my friend and off we go to get breakfast...the breakfast was nice, we did like that. Stopped by front desk, Chris assured us maintenance people been over there to fix it. Went back to our room, had to try the keys like 10 times then we finally got in. Laid down, and there was a baby spider on my bed!!! Tried to go back to sleep...20 minutes later maintenance guy knocked on the door. Apparently he never even fixed it yet, where is the communication????? Did get a discount on our spa....Not sure if it's really worth it for all the troubles we went through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms are so little, golf course looks nice.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
thewaynesvilleinn, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 19, 2012
I am so sorry that you had a less than enjoyable time with us and felt that our good-faith attempts to mitigate your issues were inadequate. Even though our Engineering staff member was able to access your room with a standard key card on the first try and found no problems with the lock, I did insist that we change it out to provide you with some peace of mind. I apologize for this interrupting your morning and causing you to doubt our communication, when in fact, we had already addressed the issue once and were only taking an additional step to satisfy your concerns. I hope you enjoyed those massages and were able to have an afternoon of relaxation after the prior night being so hectic. Thanks for taking a few moments to post a review. Warm Regards.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

Read all the reviews from the Negative Nancy's and am not sure what it would take to please them..... Just spent the weekend at the Inn and found it to be very comfortable, clean and the staff to be helpful, friendly and hospitable. Went on a LivingSocial plan and I can only say it was an incredible value for the $$. The meal we had on Friday night in the Bar was fantastic and the Service exceptional. Woke-up to the most incredible view of a Snow Storm over the area with a fantastic view of the Mountains. Looking forward to a return trip for Golf Season.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
thewaynesvilleinn, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 17, 2012
Thank you so much for taking a few moments to post a review of our property. While I am very excited that you enjoyed everything - the food, the views and the snow - I am the most proud of your feelings about our staff. I will make sure to pass your kind words along to the entire team. We're looking forward to the warmer weather ahead, along with your return visit as well! Thanks again.
Hiawassee, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

Myself, daughter and friend were in town for only 1 night for a baby shower and stayed at this hotel. Room was very clean, staff was very nice to us. The weather was rainy the entire time but what we could see of the property the golf course etc was very well maintained. Our room had a nice balcony and wonderful mountain views. Will stay again the next time we are in the area.
The food in the Tap Room and the Breakfast was very good, don't understand the bad reviews.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
thewaynesvilleinn, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
I'm so glad you were able to spend a weekend with the girls here in Waynesville. Thank you so much for the feedback and we're all looking forward to you making a return trip sometime soon. Warm Regards!
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

I & a couple co workers stayed here after attending a baby shower. So we didn’t get to enjoy the amenities. Yes it is an older place, but the rooms are CLEAN, beds comfy. View from the balcony great. We never encounter a rude employee (we all work at a resort in North Ga) so we know what to look for in the rooms, dining, employees. We all 3 was very pleased. Front desk Chad was GREAT. Amanda in the grill was so sweet. Would like to take family back soon just to relax and eat. The food in both restaurants was very good.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. It is very encouraging to hear that our employees seemed to be the highlight of your stay. I will make sure to share your kind words with the staff, especially Chad and Amanda. Thanks again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waynesville
BEST WESTERN Smoky Mountain Inn
Four Seasons Inn
Four Seasons Inn
#8 of 28 in Maggie Valley
4.5 of 5 stars 79 reviews
Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville West (Biltmore Estate)
BEST WESTERN Mountainbrook Inn
BEST WESTERN Mountainbrook Inn
#11 of 28 in Maggie Valley
4.0 of 5 stars 285 reviews
Grandview Lodge
Grandview Lodge
#7 of 20 in Waynesville
4.0 of 5 stars 130 reviews

Been to The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!