“The Lodge” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Lodge

The Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Waynesville
The Lodge
909 Russ Ave., Waynesville, NC 28786 (Formerly Econo Lodge)   |
Ranked #6 of 8 hotels in Waynesville
Pointe Claire, Canada
“The Lodge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I'm writing this review very late because I saw some bad reviews about The Lodge.Those people must be pretty picky.My wife and I got caught in a brief but furious rainstorm this past July.We were on our motorcycles and had nowhere to take refuge.Then we saw The Lodge and it was dry and friendly.We stayed for the night and found the area to be very pleasant.The guy at the counter was quite helpful and we spent a great July 4th night at The Lodge!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Greenville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

After having been ousted at10:30 am in the morning on a day of a wedding, from Oak Park Inn, this hotel took us in early, gave us adjacent rooms, and let us stay late on departure due to Christening at Church... Both were very much appreciated a midst our frustrations... Both rooms were fine and the staff was very helpful... The location was great... Thanks again and we plan to stay there again..

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I recently stayed at the lodge and I had seen the reviews and was not sure about staying there for 2 weeks but when I checked around in the area, the prices were better than other places.The only bugs that i saw were a few ants and moths and a couple of brown beetles and those came in when i had the door open and the light over the sink on. So, they were my fault. My sheets were clean and my carpet was new. The walls had recently been painted and new bedspreads. In my experiences at hotels, you can't help getting a bug in when the door is open. That goes along with visiting the mountains. If you are going to complain about an ant or beetle or moth coming in, then why did you leave home in the first place? I would like for anyone to say that they have never found one in their home. I am not sure where you would live that something didn't get in. You should be thankful it wasn't anything worse like other hotels. I will stay at the lodge on my next visit and anytime that i am in the area. The rooms are nice and the staff is the best that I have seen in a long time. Someone was always at the desk when I had a question or needed extra towels for the pool. I had the most restful trip that I have ever had. To those of you that want to complain about harmless bugs, I guess you live in a bubble and I am not sure why you chose to go to the mountains in the first place. If you are in the area and want a nice quiet place to stay, you really need to try it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hebron, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I have stayed at The Lodge numerous times and have never once seen a bug in the room. The pool is very lovely. The rent is very affordable, I rented weekly each time. The Sagebrush is a neat little tourist attraction right next door to The Lodge. It is a steakhouse. then right down the road is a Fat Buddies BBQ restaurant and a family park. All in all the lady in charge is a very sweet women and helps out the homeless of Waynesville. And the best part is my dogs got to stay in the room with me. So, its affordable, convenient, and pet friendly. I would suggest to anyone that if you are stopping by the tourist town of Waynesville, NC, to try out the Lodge and see for yourself the excellent service that is provided. I also never use a fitness center so i don't know if there is one.

Room Tip: If I had to choose a room it would probably be right around the office.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Smyrna, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

Looking at some of the reviews of the place I wasn't sure about it ..but I thougth I'd give it a try and glad I did.
The price of the room was in my range 55.00.I had a room upstairs and It did NOT smell like smoke(it was Non-Smoking).I had a great view of the mountains and the pool.My room was clean and well stocked with soap ,shampoo and lotion. The bed was great for my bad back and the coffee tasted wondeful while I sat in my rocking chair and looked out at the mountains.I ended up staying an extra day because the location of this motel is so close to everything.The housekeeping staff consisted of the sweetest older ladies I have ever met and the front desk clerks could not have been nicer. I'm glad I ame here i will be back for sure.
Ginger Cooper

Room Tip: Ask for non-smoking
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Tallahassee, Fl
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

The positive:
• Room rate was about $62.00 (after the taxes);
• Location was within walking distance to a steak house restaurant and a convenience store.
• Staff were friendly;
• Air conditioner was good and cold; not sure about the heater;
• Light breakfast is served from 7-9am. We ended up eating at Joey's Pancake House (very good) in nearby Maggie Valley.

The negative:
• Plain and simple... the place is a dump. Don't expect the quality of other hotels, such as Best Western or Days Inn, in the same price range;
• The place is old, but old isn't the problem. The place is not maintained. The property looks junky and the concrete stairs and walkways look like they haven't been pressure washed EVER. The painted room numbers on the doors are faded and hard to read. There was a sign on the stairwell that said "For your safety, hold the rails" and the last thing I wanted to do was touch the rail. Seriously, and I'm not an overly picky person with regard to hotels as long as they are clean.
• As another reviewer mentioned, the carpet just looked nasty, like it had never been cleaned. The walls were in bad shape wallpaper-wise and the doors had scuffs on them. The bathroom floor tiles were cracked in several places, and the white grout was black in most places. However, the tub and toilet were clean. The TV was old, though not a big deal, but the remote was missing it's back so the batteries kept falling out. I was excited to have a balcony but it looked unsafe to stand on. The bed mattress was on the hard side, but I did sleep well. The pillows, however, were disappointingly flat. But my hubby used the 2 from our bed and I used the 2 from the other bed so it worked out.
• There is no microwave in the room, but there is one in the lobby. Note: the lobby is open 24 hours but after a certain point it will be locked and you'll have to use an outside telephone to contact the attendant. On another note, don't tap on the window that's adjacent to the phone because when I did at 10:30ish pm, the attendant nearly had a heart attack :) sorry;
• There is no refrigerator; and
• There is no wi-fi/internet;
• Two small/thin soaps are all that is provided.

I ended up at The Lodge because I didn't pre-plan. It wasn't a bad stay, overall, but I was disappointed in what I got for my $55... especially given that I'm writing this review from a Best Western that costs $4 more and is night-and-day, head-over-heels better. I hope this review is of help to you in your decision-making.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

Opened door to overpowering smell of cigarette factory. Carpet is filthy. Cigarette burns everywhere--sheets, pillows, curtains, chairs, on the tv, on side of tub was riddled with them--smelled like a stale ashtray. We would sleep in our car before staying here again!!!!! Beds were low to ground and hard as a rock. No hot water in the morning. Room was not remodeled looks like something from the 70's. Went with a large group and everyone had the same evaluation. AND AGAIN DID I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE SMELL.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Lodge? Share your experiences!