“What a fun time and great people” 5 of 5 stars

Herren House Bed & Breakfast and Restaurant
94 East Street, Waynesville, NC 28786   |
Ranked #6 of 21 Waynesville B&B and Inns
Asheville, North Carolina
“What a fun time and great people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

I have stayed at the Herren House on many occasions. They are warm friendly people who make you feel right at home, only better. This past weekend I attended the Killer Theater performance of Ficticious High, what a wonderful time was had by all. This is an interactive murder mystery that the audience becomes part of. It was a wonderful show and the audience really got into it Saturday night. Of course almost all have us have been to a class reunion, so I think everyone could relate to the situation as well become caught up in it. The food was amazing. The entree was a chicken breast dish with cheese and asparagus rolled up in it and it was to-die-for. The staff of the Herren House always go out of their way to make you comfortable and happy. The Herren House is a B and B not to be missed, and there is always something fun going on. I will be back. Robin Davis

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
michelle b, Owner at Herren House Bed & Breakfast and Restaurant, responded to this review, March 3, 2012
Hi Robin, So glad you made it home safely.........We love to see you at the Murder Mystery Nights.............Your a great sport...Our next Mystery will be April 14th 2012 and we hope to see you then. Thanks for the review
Take care Michelle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Waynesville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

My wife and I have eaten several lunches at the Herren House B&B in Waynesville, NC. Each meal was outstanding, with everything prepared with fresh ingredients and good portions.

The B&B hosts a murder mystery dinner, along with wine and beer, frequently. I attended a murder mystery dinner several years ago and swore I would never attend another. It consisted of several tables of people having dinner, reading scripts, and asking each other questions, in order to determine “who done it”. The evening was not one I cared to repeat, but the Herren House B&B innkeepers, Michele and Phil, told that their murder mystery was carried out by a troupe of part-time actors, and that the guests interacted with the actors to determine the “who done it”. It sounded much better than the previous murder mystery dinner I had attended, so my wife and I made reservations for last Saturday evening.

When we arrived, there appeared to be about 25 guests, and we all congregated in the parlor area while being served wine, beer, tea, or whatever you cared for. The B&B staff was very attentive and friendly and continually refilled glasses. While in the parlor, the troupe of murder mystery actors came in intermittently and engaged the guests in conversation. The actors provided fictitious information about each other; good and bad, and the actors played the roles out in an excellent fashion, making guests laugh and drawing the guests into the overall scene. Immediately before dinner being served, one of the role players was “murdered” just outside the parlor.

Everyone sat down for a very nice dinner consisting of a fresh green salad with cranberries, nuts and a home-made dressing. The entrée was a boneless chicken breasts stuffed with ham and asparagus, with a side of steamed mixed vegetables consisting of carrots and green beans, and a delicious rice dish. Hot rolls were also served. The meal was very good, and was followed by a dessert of a deliciously light, peanut cake with icing. It too, was very tasty.

As the guests dined, the actors made their way around the room to each table numerous times, again interacting with the guests, which was a lot of fun. The guests consisted of every adult age group, and from the local area, as well as some from out of town who were actually staying at the B&B. After the dessert, the actors brought the mystery to a conclusion, and as usual, it’s never who you think.

The entire evening was fun, the meal was delicious, the actors were excellent at putting on the murder mystery, and the host and hostess, Michele and Phil were very hospitable. The entire evening cost $40, plus tax and gratuity, including bottomless drink glasses. And the staff was absolutely excellent. It’s a great evening for fun and good food. Check out the B&B website: http://www.herrenhouse.com/ for the next murder mystery dinner, which I think is in April. It provides for a great evening of entertainment and dining.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
We are so glad you had such a great time with us at the Murder Mystery Night.......It is always so much fun. It is nice to see such a detailed review. We hope this will help new guests to join us in the future...Our next Mystery will be April 14th 2012 and I will be looking to see you again.
Best regards
Michelle and Phil
Walland, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

Waynesville is among our favorite weekend getaway places and is now made even better after staying with Michelle at the Herren House. Her gracious hospitality, delicious breakfast and comfortable accommodations were superb. Being able to walk to town was a big plus.
We will return!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
michelle b, Owner at Herren House Bed & Breakfast and Restaurant, responded to this review, February 25, 2012
Hey Sharon, I am so glad you made it home safe,,,Did you see any snow? none here.........Thank you for the review. I hope to see you and your freinds in the near future.
Don't forget our MOMS Music Fest May 5th maybe you all could mae it back for that.
Best Regards
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Our first visit to Herren House B & B was great! It's a very welcoming home; Michelle and Phil are great inn-keepers. The rooms were clean and well-appointed. The breakfasts were delish! Visiting the historic downtown shops was fun for our family. Close to scenic mountain trails and roads .. good food .. shopping. It was a great get-away. Thank you!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
michelle b, Owner at Herren House Bed & Breakfast and Restaurant, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Hi Guys, I am so glad you made it home safe.....It was great to have you all! I feel we have made some new friends..........Jack misses Doug already. by the way Jack found one of Dougs lego peices..so you will have to come back and see us.....Not sure if I told you but we are having the MOMS Music festival May 5th right here at the Inn.....it will be a great time for you, Charlie and the Kids too . Thanks for the great review
All the best Michelle, Phil and Jack
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I stumbled in to the Herren House when I was traveling alone from SC to KY. I got caught in a snow storm and unexpectedly had to stop for the night. My nerves were on edge from a very uncomfortable experience on the interstate from trying to drive in the snow storm. The nearest exit had 2 gas stations and a little motel, I was so thankful when the gas station attendant suggested I go up the road just a little way into a town called Waynesville. I was delighted to drive into that welcoming town... Main Street was full of unique little shops and Christmas lights! The first B&B I called did everything to discourage me staying there since they were not prepared for my last minute reservation, plus they were charging more than double what Herren charged (even when I said they didn't have to feed me breakfast if they would only give me a place to settle for the night). Herren house was my second call. It was a much different experience immediately. Michelle immediately welcomed me warmly, offered me a reasonable rate, a glass of wine when I arrived and even came outside in the cold to help me with my bags. Breakfast was delicious, the room quaint and comfy and the hospitality excellent. Even the next day, they were so kind to allow me to stay in the house as long as I needed until the roads cleared. Without me even asking, they checked travel conditions for me to make sure it was safe to get back on the road. I cannot say enough about how much I appreciate the hospitality the people there extended to me. What could have been a long, uncomfortable night because of the unexpected snow storm wound up being such an unexpected treat!

From what I hear, their lunch / dinner is wonderful and they offer theme parties, like mystery dinner theaters, etc that are a lot of fun. You can even rent out the entire house for a reasonable rate for a larger group getaway. I believe the home sleeps around 14 people. I'm looking forward to going back again for a girls weekend getaway!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
herrenhouse2011, Owner at Herren House Bed & Breakfast and Restaurant, responded to this review, January 9, 2012
Thank you for the great review. I am so glad you stumbled on us. It was a pleasure to have you and I cant wait to see you and the Girls soon...Our next Murder Mystery is feb 11th..If you can make it. I will keep you posted on the rest of the years events.......I hope the houseing markets picks up for you soon Best regards
Delafield, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Waynesville is one of our favorite getaways and this bed and breakfast stay was ideal. The location is perfect, being just a block away from the historical downtown. Safe and quiet location. Michelle was an excellent host, shared information about the area and was very personable. There were a lot of treat and drink choices available when we first arrived and throughout the stay. The beds are very comfortable and the room was warm and the perfect size. We stayed in the Mary Lu room, but peeked in the rest and they are all spacious and homey looking. Breakfast was perfect. We started with a baked grapefruit, which was warm and sweet. Followed by a large portion of farm fresh eggs/chive (that my husband and I still talk about how well flavored they were) on a toasted Italian type bread. We ate lunch or dinner at the following places and all were delicious; Chef's Table, Thai Spice(service is a little slow), Frogs Leap Public House (farm to table food), Tipping Point (fantastic burgers).

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Hey Guys, I see you made it home safe. I am sure Lucas was happy to see you. Thanks for the great review. How is the sell of your house going? I have been keeping my eyes open for a place for you.
Take care Best regards
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

We love Waynesville, NC, and we loved the Herren House. The owner was friendly and helpful. The atmosphere was relaxing, clean, and enjoyable. We have two well-behaved inside dogs, and they allowed us to bring them for a small fee. They even only charged us for one dog. The breakfast was fantastic, and they had coffee and desserts at all times. We will definitely stay here when we go back.

Room Tip: If you have dogs, ask for a room downstairs with hard-wood floors.