“What a sandwich!” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Atlanta, Georgia
“What a sandwich!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I was only in town for a short while but managed to stop in for lunch. I left full and happy! may food was awesone!

Atlanta, GA
“Another Wonderful Place to Dine in Waynesville”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Enjoyed our 1st dinner here, 2nd trip to Waynesville. My Ahi Tuna Sashimi appetizer (seared) was the best I have ever had, so tender, a large sliced filet. The Mussels were also excellent, large and juicy in a well-balanced sauce (about $10 ea., well-priced). The caesar salad was good, and the Crab Cakes ($16) were good, lots of crab, but not prepared differently than we have had before. The Apple Caramel dessert with Vanilla Ice Cream had a crunchy grain topping, and was good, but didn't need the caramel sauce. Service was very good, ambiance nice in an l-shaped dining room with an open counter kitchen. Comfortable setting, good meal, highly recommended.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Orlando
“Great food and great service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We just got back from eating at The Sweet Onion. We had a reservation on a Friday night, and we walked right in and had a table waiting for us. The hostess was very nice and friendly. The decor is impressive... upscale but not pretentious. It all looked very new and modern with wood and dark colors, yet with bright lighting.

They bring you a basket of these wonderful cheese biscuits with garlic butter on the side. Be careful not to fill up on these as they are addictive.

My wife ordered the Salmon, my daughter ordered Grilled Shrimp. They told me that both the fish dishes were seasoned properly and they liked what they ordered. Now my son, he got the Lobster Mac-n-cheese and he raved about this. It had a thin layer of browned cheese on the top, so you know they finished this off in a broiler. He also upgraded his side order to a Caesar salad, and then added a side of grilled vegetables. I went "Southern" and got a Chicken Fried Steak with mashed potatoes and collard greens for my two side items. The steak was nearly as big as my plate! (see my photo) We were all too full to order desert.

The nice thing about their menu is, there really is something for everybody. There are many traditional dishes, plus new twists on old favorites. Also, and this is what I love to see in a restaurant... there are chef creations on a menu board. So if you become a regular customer, you can try something different every so often.

I would make one suggestion if they are reading this; please get bigger drinking glasses. Like some restaurants, they have this little 6oz glasses. When they are full of ice and water, you get about two drinks from them and then you are looking for the waitress to come and fill them up again. Fortunately the place wasn't too busy and our waitress must have filled our little glasses at least six times... if not eight times during the dinner. This takes a LOT of attention from your wait staff and a bigger glass would eliminate both effort and the possibility of ruining a diner's experience.

We had a great meal with perfect service. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anybody looking for a nice evening with friends or family.

McKinney, Texas
“We Really Liked this Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We seldom repeat ourselves when exploring new places, but the food and the ambiance of the Sweet Onion were so great that we at there twice and had just dessert once. It is easy to get a window seat and our tables were graced by beautiful dahlias. There were so many great things to choose from on the menu. Definitely worth the down hill walk from the shopping on Main Street.

• Visited September 2012
McKinney, Texas
“Excellent West Coast style food, in these hills...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Have been numerous times, food has always been terrific! Service can be a little slow when Resturant is very busy but that is as expected.

• Visited November 2012