“No Thank You!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 100 Restaurants in Waynesville
Cuisines: Sushi
“No Thank You!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I'm not sure who or what the other people were eating with the "glowing" reviews but here is an honest experience.

First, we've tried to go to this place several times. Although business hours are posted out front, they are rarely open when they say. So, finally... we find that they are open.

We go in and everything seems OK so far. It's decorated with red and black and typical oriental decorations. There were only 2 additional people in the restaurant at 12:30 on a week day (first clue).

We Ordered sushi. It took a while and when it arrived - the rolls are VERY SMALL compared to all others we've had in other places. There was a disturbing mystery sauce (milky white) on my wife's roll. My roll had a "mistake" sauce added on top - but, I approved it so I wouldn't have to wait longer. The sushi was OK for the most part.

The bathroom has a creepy built in window that makes you wonder if someone is behind it. Anyway, this place is just not for us. We've been spoiled by the wonderful sushi joints in Asheville, NC. In Waynesville, Kobes does a much better job with sushi. So, while the visit was not totally terrible, we will not be going back.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Canton, North Carolina
“Best Sushi in WNC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

This is by far not an exaggeration! I have been to many sushi places in WNC especially Asheville and this tops them all. You wont find better Sushi. Wonderful owners. There is one sushi chef (the owner) so you will have some wait time but its well worth it with everything being made to order. Janet will aim to please you! Also, great Saki. My favorites are the crab & cucumber salad & the Waynesville Roll (if you like eel). Typically she has specials running but not always. She offers Valentine's Day specials and other holidays like Mother's day. They're closed Sunday & Monday and be sure to check the hours. This is 100% my favorite place to eat.

• Visited April 2014
Waynesville, North Carolina
“Outstanding Sushi and Other Japanese Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

The Saki Sushi is a small one story building on a side street just behind the BB&T Bank building on the north end of Main Street. Continue to first street north of the bank building, turn right, and you will run into Saki Sushi at the end of a very short block.

I have had sushi many places, to include S.F. and Japan, and I found this to be one of the best restaurants for sushi that I've been to. It is a small, non-descript building on the outside, but the owner, Janet Green, has decorated the interior in Japanese décor and it is beautiful. She also has nice, soothing Japanese music playing which is very relaxing. Janet told my wife and I that she has been in the restaurant business in Waynesville for about 18 years, so she is not new to running a restaurant and putting out good food. By the way, Janet is very Japanese, so don't be fooled by her American name. Not that that matters anyway, but her food is to die for, if you like Japanese cuisine.

My wife and I tried a lunch special, which consisted of delicious miso soup and two sushi rolls. We also had a glass of wine, which comes in about a six ounce bottle. Three types of Japanese beer is available, as well as a few domestic beers, and cold and hot saki. My wife had a California sushi and a shrimp and cucumber sushi rolls as her main dish. The sushi were cut beautifully in actual "bite-size" pieces, not huge pieces like I have had elsewhere that are very awkward to eat. I had a spicy shrimp sushi roll and a spicy octopus sushi roll, both of which were delicious.

Ms. Green told us about a freshly made spicy coconut, noodle and chicken soup that she made with homemade broth, so we got an order to go, which was plenty to share. We ate the soup that night and it was wonderful with just the perfect spiciness. We also took home an order of udon noodles with chicken, which was also a bountiful amount, and plenty for two people. It was fantastic, fresh, and delicious.

The lunch menu consists of "specials" which are plenty and in the price category of $6-8, plus drink and gratuity. A full and extensive dinner menu is also available to order and has choices such as egg rolls, vegetable rolls, soups, salads, and entrees. The dinner menu varies in prices, but is also very reasonable.

This is one of the nicest restaurant surprises we have found in years in Waynesville. The owner and greeter/waiter were both very gracious, courteous and prompt. Everything is made to order and is fresh and delicious, so get a coke or glass of wine or beer, and sit back relax and enjoy the atmosphere, music and delicious food. We will be regulars at Saki Sushi.

• Visited February 2014
Waynesville, North Carolina
“Great Sushi in Small Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

This is a small restaurant with a big taste. Wonderful, fresh-made sushi in a small town....who knew?! Great lunch selections. Beer, Wine & Saki available. Janet is a joy. If you have a craving for sushi, plus other items...do yourself a favor and go to Saki Sushi in Waynesville!

• Visited February 2014