“Awesome Cuban...” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Cuban
Waynesville, NC
“Awesome Cuban...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Pick up your frequent flyer Cuban card from Nico's and enjoy. I'm addicted to these sandwiches. Sometimes a little too much mayo, but always great!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Consistently good food and great personal service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Nico's restaurant is a relaxed setting where you find good food and personal attention. We have eaten many times here finding the same great quality of food and service every time. We have also used their catering service. Our guests loved the food and wanted to know who catered it. Carol & Glenn G

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Asheville, North Carolina
“Fresh, Tasty, Ooooh so GOOD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Had lunch at Nico's Cafe for the first time and was very pleased. I had the Bayshore Wrap and it was fresh, plentiful and fast. This wrap had lots of flavor and plenty of fresh veggies and the chicken was just the right portion. There is a variety to choose from on their menu so there is something for everyone. The staff was very nice and friendly and checked with us a few times to see if everything was okay and that we had what we needed. They offer call ahead take out and you don't have to get out of the car just buzz through the drive thru. We will make it a point to come back.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Waynesville, North Carolina
“Fresh and Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

They moved from an inconvenient location down town to a stand alone building on Russ Ave with Drive Thru!! Hoo Ray. Fantastic sandwiches,try the Cuban, good soup and a great value. Nice people too. Call ahead for take out.

Visited October 2012
Orlando
“Highly recommended by everybody.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My wife and I kept missing the opportunity to visit this place until the last day of our vacation here in Waynesville. The homeowner of our rental house and several friends who live here almost demanded that we go and give this place a try.

My wife had a Mojo Pork wrap of some type that had black beans in it, and she really loved it. I had a pressed Cuban sandwich that was very authentic. We know, because we are from Florida and we can get those great tasting sandwiches easily in our town, everyday of the week if we want to. Heck, they even sell them at 7/11... and press them as well.

Anyway, one of the things my father always told me that the mark of a great cook (or restaurant) was how well they made soup. He came from the days of working downtown Chicago where you would walk from your office to a local dinner with counter service and eat a 'working man's lunch". He would also call it a "blue plate special". He really likes his soup. So I was delighted to find three kinds of soup on the menu board for the day. I had a ham chowder at Nico's that was delicious. It was the perfect compliment to the Cuban and also nice and warm for a cold winter day.

If you have never been, they serve "Deli Style" which we were not used to. We came in and sat down and waited for table service until we finally caught the sign near the counter. You are supposed to come in, grab a menu, order at the counter and pay for it right then. When your order is ready, they bring it out to you. The only thing about this procedure I don't like is, when you pay by credit card, if you want to tip... you are paying first. Being a traditionalist, I don't/won't tip until after I eat my food and when finished, that is when I will determine what I tip. Thankfully, there is a tip jar at the register and I threw a couple of bucks into it afterwards. However, if I didn't have a couple of bucks in my pocket, I would have felt awkward walking out. This is a situation I think Nico's should rethink. Perhaps giving an option to pay after eating?

The food was great and if I lived here, I would be back and probably turn into a regular. I would give Nico's a five star rating, but only one thing kind of got to me. They lose one star for charging for water. Fifty cents for water?!? Come on... build that cost-for-the-cup into the price of your sandwiches or something. It feels really cheap to us, your customers, to charge for a cup of tap water.

• Visited January 2013