“A sentimental fave with rustic, European Flair” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Florence, South Carolina
“A sentimental fave with rustic, European Flair”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I have been going to the Country Squire since I was a child, off and on through the years. I have had a couple of occasions to eat lunch there in 2013, and although the inside is just as enchanting & maze like as I remember it, the food doesn't seem as good. It used to be highly regarded for fine dining and special occasions in my family. It was the first place I ever had a bacon wrapped steak called Hawaiian style. Although I haven't had dinner there recently, I'm guessing by the menu and by talking with friends and family that it might have lost steam in that area in more recent years and through ownership changes.

To be fair though, I'll try to limit my comments to my own experiences. First let me say that I've had great & friendly service. Once, when I asked for malt vinegar for my fries, the owner brought out her own special stash to share with me. We usually have at least a party of 6-8 for lunch, and the waitresses help each other with our table, making things run smoothly. We've only had a few hiccups where something was delivered to the table in error.

The marinated turkey is very popular, and with good reason. It is very tasty and moist. My sirloin tips were also pretty good. The salads are ok, not great. One person at our table got the Asian/Korean beef and was not too impressed.

I am really rooting for the Country Squire to make it, and start serving the type of food they were known for at one time. I will continue to support it whenever I can.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Wallace, North Carolina
“No better than five years ago”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Went to the Country Squire for the first time in five years. Was below average then, and no better now. Wanted to give it another chance as there are not many dining options in the area, but not worth going. Actually apologized to the couple we took with us, who also thought it was substandard.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Faison, North Carolina
“Overpriced, overcooked, I'm over it!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is a sad story of a once famous restaurant, whose glory days were filled with exquisitely prepared food with impeccable service. It became a shadow of its former self, after its former owner sold it (decades ago). It generally retains the element of service, though it has lost its luster as a place of fine dining, despite claims to the contrary. In its heyday people would drive from miles around to experience the food, service, and ambiance. That does not appear to be the case now. Although I still eat there, I don't go for the food . I do have to go to this restaurant because I have local friends who sometimes ask me to meet them there. Since this is the case, I have tried a variety of dishes. As far as I can tell, nothing is freshly prepared. The fish entree appears to be frozen, then suddenly thawed as customers order. In any case It is not fresh tasting. I have experienced "fishy tasting" fish, dried out chicken, and the steak....well, if you like steak don't even bother. They serve cheap cuts at prices you would expect from a good specialty steak house. The last steak I ate there was the worst in my 55 year life (never again). Since my choices have gradually been reduced by my bad experiences, the last dozen times I have eaten there I have ordered their chef salad, a pile of iceberg lettuce smothered in cheddar cheese, a few tomato wedges, onion, green pepper, cucumber, etc. The biggest problem is the eggs that are overcooked every time....and I mean every time. To the point where the yellow yoke inside is grey around the edges. And of course, many times the lettuce appears and tastes old. But my worst objection to eating here is when the server comes around with salad dressings and when the dollop of blue cheese is too thick will ask you to use your knife or spoon to scrape it off her serving spoon onto your salad. Ugh! I want to ask if they have ever heard the phrase "cross contamination." Who knows how much even a "clean" customer spoon as been coughed on or handled by a sick patron or even a baby. It's just a gross procedure. I'm no longer spending $50 for a dinner there, and the $20 I now spend seems reasonable for a large chef salad topped with chicken, a Coke, tax, and tip. But I still would not eat there if it were not for my friends. On a scale if A to F, I would rank this a D-............ only because of the hundreds of places I've eaten across the USA and Europe, I would reserve an "F" for any place with a bad health department rating. This restaurant has a fascinating design, ambiance, and potential. Someone please call Gordon Ramsay to help the owners rescue it!

Visited June 2013
Garner, North Carolina
“Not Worth the Trip”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I just don't get it. Went here based on the wonderful reviews and still mad about the distance we traveled for the quality received. My first clue should have been the one car in the parking lot on a Friday evening. We were greeted promptly and led to an empty dining room; we were the only ones there and the run of the place. The smell in the restaurant is well beyond rustic. You will be overpowered with the musty, dank smell. We were quickly assaulted by small flies that we battled the entire meal. After fifteen minues of sitting all alone, the hostess reappeared and asked if we had seen a waitress yet. She apologized and found a waitress who complined the entire time of being pulled away from what she was doing when other "lazy as*es" could help out sometime. We were so shocked, we didn't know quite what to say. On to the food; Salad was ok, plain with the obvious bottled and sickly sweet dressing. I ordered the "King" cut prime rib and a stuffed potato. What I recieved was a small, gray slab of meat cook on a previous date. This was NOT fresh prime rib and had absolutley no taste whatsoever! The stuffed potato was fresh out of the microwave as the outside was blistering hot and the inside was ice cold. My wife had the crab stuffed filet which she enjoyed, could not stand the flavorless, microwave vegetables though. The cold dinner rolls served with dinner tasted just like the plastic they just came out of. The red wine was served in these tine, toy-like wine glasses. Ended up with two of these tiny flies in my wine through the meal. So much for showcasing your wines. This entire meal and experience was a disaster ! I hate to seem so negative, but I have not had a dining episode like this in many years and hope to save someone the aggravation who might think it's a good idea to travel any distance to try this place out. Total bill was $97.00 for the two of us and that really bothers me for the service and food we expeirenced.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Buffalo, New York
“An old-fashioned hidden gem!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stumbled upon this restaurant while looking at my trip advisor app while traveling through North Carolina. We were on our way to the hotel in Wilmington, but we needed to stop for dinner. I loved this place as soon as we pulled in the driveway. It just has this fun, old-fashioned charm to it. When you walk inside it almost has a medieval feel to it. It has very dim lighting, dark walls, candlelit tables and the waitresses are dressed the part. Our server was very polite and quick. We all had a wonderful meal! It was a little pricey, but when I'm on vacation I expect that. I had the spinach stuffed chicken breasts and potatoes with a side salad. Honestly, my only complaint was that they were playing XM radio with current day songs, which threw off the whole mood of the setting. Add some more theme approriate background music and they're all set. A fun place to try at least once!

• Visited March 2013