“A wonderful old Victorian” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Island House of Wanchese Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wanchese
Island House of Wanchese Bed and Breakfast
Save Saved
You added Island House of Wanchese Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
104 Old Wharf Rd, Wanchese, NC 27981   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Wanchese B&B and Inns
Swink, CO
“A wonderful old Victorian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed only one night, but thoroughly enjoyed it. The grounds are very nicely kept. The house itself is immaculate, filled with all sorts of beautiful antiques and memorabilia. We were in Zena's Room, on the second floor, with private bathroom (shower). This one has an antique oak bed with feather bedding, and complementing antique furnishings of the same quality. The bed was really comfortable; we slept very well. It's also a quiet neighborhood. Breakfast was excellent, with perfectly done bacon and some of the best grits we've ever tried. We really liked this one compared to the offerings available in Manteo; those tend to be either too rich for us, or scraping the bottom of the barrel. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Virginia Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We are frequent flyers to this B&B as it only takes us a couple of hours to get there when we want to get away. The house has beautiful old antiques and lots of Coca Cola memorabilia and other interesting artifacts. Jeanne is an excellent host and always makes wonderful breakfasts. My hubby loves her cheese grits and nearly always comes home with some.
As for the dogs, I know Jeanne lets people know that she has dogs but does not let them loose if people do not like dogs. However they are all adorable and very entertaining and we are the proud owners of 2 of her Westies. As for the water problems - they should no longer be an issue (they weren't anyway) as they are now on "city" water.
I feel if people have an issue with anything they should at least address the issue with the innkeeper (just as you would if you were staying in a hotel) and give her a chance to rectify the problem face to face and not post a problem after the fact.
As to the early breakfast, I am sure Jeanne would be happy to leave out some breakfast snacks if you want an early start. Whenever we have been there people are happy to to have a leisurely start to their day - they are there after all to relax and unwind.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

For a quick getaway weekend I decided to take a trip back to the Island House of Wanchese, and was completely happy with my stay as always. I've been going to this B&B on and off for years now and will continue to return. Jeanne, the Inn Keeper is truly one of the most welcoming and hospitable hosts I've met in my ventures to different B&B's. If there is anything you need or any issues that arise she will do what she can to accommodate those requests and make her customers happy.

The bedrooms are amazing, you have beautiful antiques and bedding that only add to the coziness of your stay. (I'm a sucker for a great antique!) I've found myself grabbing a few movies from downstairs in the evenings and just relaxing in bed for the night bc the beds are just so cozy. The breakfasts are always super yummy and there is always plenty of food to go around.

All that being said, I've read the two negative reviews on here and just want to add my two cents - the water issue is null and void as of now due to Wanchese being switched over to county water, but if the person who wrote that review would have asked, it's rare that the water has that tint to it and that tint is totally harmless to your body. And as for the dogs, I've been in the room closest to where the dogs are housed before, and not once has it disrupted my stay nor has there been an odor of wet dogs in the house. To add, any time I visit a B&B that I've seen a negative review on or just have questions, I call the Inn Keeper and ask them about them.......I've learned that since B&B's aren't corporate america, you don't get the kind of responses you would at a hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

Website picture made Willie's room look larger than it was. Granted we are tall, but we kept smacking our heads on the slanted ceiling. I booked the room for the tub, but it was really too small to be comfortable and relaxing The main problem was the musty, trapped in an antique store smell with an overlay of wet dog. My husband tried to dry off from a shower with a towel that clearly was not fresh. You can hear the dogs barking every time you leave or enter the b&b, despite the owner's best efforts. Breakfast was good and plentiful, but for early risers, having to wait until 8:30 was agony. Beautiful gardens, but overall disappointing for the price.

• Stayed May 2012
islandhouse0911, Owner at Island House of Wanchese Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
The room referenced in this review is our suite 18X12, the adjoining sitting is room 10X12. Ceilings are sloped, I always point this feature out to guests, never had complaint Musty Odor??? This building is over a century old, therefore, I am very aware of the potential for odors.
I take steps to keep the house smelling fresh. Air conditioning is always on to move air. Yes we do have dogs, but they are not permitted into the rooms, and are rarely invited into the B&B.
(As a side note, we are no longer on well water, county water has finally come to Wanchese!!!!)
Bethlehem, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

We found this B&B just perfect for us. We stayed a week and could have stayed longer. At first we were concerned about the one bad review listed here but with all the other good reviews we decided to try it. While the owner does breed dogs, they are well behaved and for our entire stay we heard no barking and were not annoyed in any way. . The owner, Jeanne, lets those who like dogs visit them and that was fun. Regarding the other concern about the water, our water was perfectly fine for the entire week. During extended dry periods apparently, tanin from the trees can get into the water and give it a slight harmless yellow color.
The rooms were very well appointed and my wife couldn't stop taking pictures of the furniture and rugs. The bed were very comfortable and the amenities were more than expected [eg, extra bug spray and toiletries if we forgot any]. The outside was also quite attractive with lots of flowers and a big screened in porch with a swing for two. Breakfast was tasty and varied and you do have to try her cheese grits. Jeanne was very helpful in giving us information about things to do and was very eager to please. Like some of the other reviewers, we were attracted to this B&B being off the beaten path in a quiet town away from noise and sand and too much sun but within 10 minutes of the beach and many activities. The nearby town Manteo is quaint and interesting with lots of great shops and art galleries and an interesting waterfront. We particullarly enjoyed the play, "The Lost Colony" and "Festival Island". There's still more to see and do and so we will visit the Island House and Roanoke again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

We were so happy with everything about this B&B. We didn't want a beach hotel among the noise and craziness but wanted to be close enough to get to the remote stretches of beach to really relax. Island House was the perfect choice to get us away from nighttime noise and just a few minutes from the major thoroughfares. Accomodations were reasonably priced and very, very cozy and comfortable. Ms. Jeanne is a wonderful hostess and provided exceptional breakfasts. We'll be going back....definitely!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Springfield, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

Beach lover in Middle Atlantic? Visit this wonderful B&B on Roanoke Island - away from the crowded beaches of Duck & Kill Devil Hills yet a short (10 min) drive to the gorgeous dunes of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. Coquina Beach is a must visit- enjoyed the multitude of private parking areas for beach solitude. The Island House has great "CocaCola" artifacts,comfortable beds (Sleep #)and a truly gracious host. Area also great for biking. Breakfast was thoughtfully prepared with lots of variation; fresh berries and melon were served every day.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Island House of Wanchese Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!