“OK hotel, terrible attitude” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Wallace

You added Holiday Inn Express Wallace to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Wallace
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   131 River Village Place, @ River Landing, Wallace, NC 28466   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Wallace
Salisbury, North Carolina, USA
“OK hotel, terrible attitude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I booked this hotel the same day I arrived, through hotels.com... June 5, 2013 around 10pm. Hotels.com showed that standard, NON-SMOKING rooms were available, so I booked two of those rooms. When we arrived, we were informed that only 'smoking' rooms were available. I have asthma and detest smoking, so this did not please me. Having no other viable options, though, we had no other choice but to 'suck it up.'

The thing that perturbed me was the check-in clerk's attitude on this. I politely suggested that she or her management may want to contact hotels.com about this discrepancy -- they showed non-smoking rooms were available for booking when, in fact, they were not. She seemed very disinterested in this and took a this-is-your-problem attitude, and even implied it was MY fault for booking through hotels.com... and suggested that her hotel doesn't make any money when booking through hotels.com. First, that is absurdly false. Second, that does not matter. I am a guest of her hotel and should not be treated with decidedly-second-class status because of the booking agent I choose.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wallace, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear UNCWK2,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I am deeply sorry for the unacceptable service you have received from our staff. I assure you that this is not the norm you should expect from our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
New Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights while attendinga family reunion at my sisters new home in River Landing. Great location, nice and close to her home. typical breakfast included,nothing to write home about. the only annoyances were there were no docking station plugs for our devices, had to use regular plugs near the floor and bathroom and they changed password to the wireless during the weekend, which wasnt a big deal. Free water at the front desk was great along with the late afternoon homemade chocolate chip cookies. if you have small children beware our rooms did not have bathtubs only showers. We had to bathe a 6 month baby in the sink. the fan to the air conditioning was a bit loud and situated where the person sleeping in the closest bed was freezing. the hotel itself was very clean and everyone very nice and friendly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Cape Carteret, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn due to its close proximity to River Landing Golf Course. it's a beautiful place, looks like they meant to match the decor to the golf course clubhouse, a truly magnificent place! The folks at the front desk were courteous and helpful, the food was good and it was not too far from shopping while the guys were golfing. The rooms were very nice and comfortable, nice cold AC.
We thought the halls were a little smelly, almost like old smells from a hotel which once allowed smoking, however the rooms smelled just fine. We would stay there again, no problem.

Room Tip: No pool :(
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wallace, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Kay Z,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. It is a pleasure to know you like our location and hotel staff. However, we regret that your stay was negatively affected by the unusual smell of the hotel. We will address the matters with the respective departments in order to avoid these unnecessary issues in the future.

We are constantly looking for ways to improve our service and we are grateful that you brought this matter into our attention. We hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future and provide you with a better experience.

Zelyn N
New Bern, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

After spending a wonderful two-night stay at this Holiday Inn, I received a call this morning telling me that they were charging my credit card $60.42 for our damaging their property! Here is what the "damage" consisted of. My 72-year-old husband, a heart patient on blood thinning medication, accidentally cut his thumb on Saturday at a wedding reception. We applied band-aids which we carry in our car. That night after his shower, we put on two more band-aids. ALAS.....during the night, the band-aids came loose and he bled on the sheet and mattress cover! The staff says they were unable to remove the blood stain, and therefore we are liable for the damages! What ever happened to the old cold-water soak for blood stains?? The management compared our "damages" to irreparable damages to a rental car for which one would expect to be charged. I have stayed at Holiday Inns since there were Holiday Inns, and this is the first really negative experience I have ever had. Woe be to the woman who might leave a blood stain or a baby who might throw up in this hotel! I am not happy about being charged for something that any compassionate host would see as a forgivable accident. Maybe a protective cover over the mattress might be more appropriate than charging an innocent, unsuspecting guest like this.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wallace, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Eloise C,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please allow us to apologize for the over all dissatisfaction you had. We would like to make a follow up on this. Unfortunately, your account settings do not allow us to send you a Private Message. You are welcome to reach out to our Guest Relations via email at HI-GuestRelations@ihg.com or you may send us a Private Message through TripAdvisor to IHGCare including reference to your TripAdvisor Account Name so we can follow up on your concerns. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Douglas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This was my first time staying at this hotel. The outside of the hotel impressed me. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and made you feel welcome. This hotel was a short distance from the business that I was working at and the access to the interstate was great.
This was one of the best Holiday Inns that I've stayed at and I'm usually in a Holiday Inn property at least 20 times a month.
The only complaint that I might have is the pillows. They could have been a little firmer.

Other than the pillows a "Great Hotel".

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Orlando
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Very average Holiday Inn. Hallway is worn and smells like old cigarette smoke. I stayed in an alcove room, so the space was good with fridge, but the furniture and bath were very worn and tired looking. Everyone in the lobby who had cell service with AT&T complained of no service in the hotel...true for me too! So, if you have AT&T and need service keep on driving! Not many options in the area so I moved on to Wilmington where there are many options for hotels. The Mad Boar restaurant next door is really good, but probably would not stay here again. Not terrible, but a little below average from the hotels I usually stay in.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wallace, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear CherylOrlando,

Thank you for your stay and taking the time to share your experience. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am deeply sorry that you found your stay less than satisfactory due to the condition of the hallways and unavailability of cell service. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Once again many thanks for your feedback.

Pam G.
elizabeth city, nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed here for a party next door at the Mad Boar. The $99 standard rate would have been a bit pricey, but fortunately we got a discount because of attending the party.

The staff was friendly and helpful.

The room was comfortable, and very clean. Sleep quality was good, but I was awakened by the heavy-footed occupant of the room above me.

Breakfast consisted of the usual Danish/bagels, plus sausage, pre-cooked eggs, pancakes, and biscuits with sausage gravy. Served in a very nice and clean dining area. I'd rate it as 8/10.

The ONLY coke machine was broken, and my wife could not get sufficient hot water for a shower.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Wallace? Share your experiences!