“Oooo, ahhhh, yummm” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 8 Valle Crucis B&B and Inns
Eagle Furnace, TN, USA
“Oooo, ahhhh, yummm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The Mast Farm Inn was recently the scene of our elopement. It couldn't have been more perfect.

The Score:
TMFI has a package called The Leap of Faith, which includes 1 night’s lodging with breakfast, free upgrade to best room, cottage, or cabin of your choice available at check-in, one hour garden or parlor ceremony, bridal bouquet and boutonniere, officiant, 2 witnesses, four-course wedding dinner with wedding cake, Champagne, and the option for an additional night for only an extra $169, which we took! The whole pkg is only $889 which is all-inclusive of fees, taxes, gratuities, etc. (I've obviously cribbed all this from their website, where you find all other relevant details) and we ended up in the Loom House cabin, to my delight!

The Setting
TMFI is very close to several cute towns, the biggest being Boone, NC (a college town; where Appalachian State University is located) yet it's out of the way of any bustle. There is a school nearby so JJC and I were surprised by how much traffic there can be during the week but once one gets settled in, it becomes less noticeable. The main farmhouse is surrounded by several of the smaller cabins, a pond, and a creek running alongside the property's border. There is a little path off the outdoor eating area of the main house leading to a gazebo and more (larger) cabins/cottages beyond that. Across the road is the garden, the horse, donkey, goat, chickens and turkey, along with a granary and its cottage. We were there just after a snow so I can only imagine what it will look like when the garden is in full swing.

And then there's Obi, the King of the Inn. He is a gray cat with an abundance of love to give out. He is insanely friendly. One might almost hazard that he is compulsively friendly. And he will try to get into your cabin and sleep in your bed with you so the management asks that you not indulge this even if you are cat-lovers (which we are).

The Loom House was a dream. Creaky and drafty, ridiculously picturesque, dotted with lots of modern amenities in a way that didn't at all detract from its 200+ year-old charm, we adored it. And the claw-foot whirlpool tub didn't hurt one bit. Jeez, I heart that tub.

The Service
Since we planned our wedding to happen on the way home from a visit to Michigan the night before we left on said trip, we were a little nervous that we wouldn't be able to make it happen at TMFI. I was so anxious that I probably appeared disinterested in the planning while JJC made all the initial calls and emails Honestly, after all the other possible sites we looked at, TMFI was the only one in which I was interested. TMFI's website had tons of info and I just really thought the way they presented themselves was exactly what we were looking for and didn't even think to hope for before we found them! And then the photos posted by other Tripadvisor users sold me completely.

Before we got a hold of Danielle, we spoke to one of the women manning the phones (not sure if this was Lorraine, who seems incredibly capable & unflappable, and ended up being one of our witnesses, or the sweetie-pie girl who served us breakfast our first morning, or someone we didn't meet during our stay) who was very nice and helpful, and then when we finally did get a hold of Danielle, who was great! All the details were pretty much taken care of in a day. She linked us up with the officiant, Rev. Dr. Gregory Possner (a completely sweet, gentle minister who is able to totally Jesus it up or take all reference to God out of your ceremony, as you wish), and the florist, Peggy, who did a beautiful job on the bouquet. She provided us with the cabin we were delighted to get (the one I secretly coveted). She got us our menu choices and had no problem with us springing for an extra course on the wedding dinner (details to follow). When we arrived, she was a great conversationalist, took fantastic photos of our ceremony, prepared our breakfasts both mornings and made an excellent restaurant recommendation for our second night. We had a great time with her!

The Ceremony
Short and sweet, man. We arrived at TMFI, picked our spot to have the ceremony, got ready, the Rev. arrived, we got married, and went to dinner. Started at 2pm and waddled into The Loom House, tipsy and full, around 4:30pm. It was glorious! The weather couldn't have been more perfect--mid-seventies, sunny with a breeze. The setting was lush, green, and burbling, since the creek ran right behind us. The Rev. Dr.'s words were very touching and although I had thought we would add some of our own declarations to each other, the ceremony we chose ended up really kind of expressing everything we'd want (and then there was the whole time frame in which to pen vows surrounded by family in MI that just didn't end up allowing for it, so the fact that Gregory had such a nice array of options for ceremonies was fantastic). I managed not to sob with abandon throughout the whole thing--just a managed torrent of tears--while JJC had only one brush with possible tears that he averted just in the nick of time. After the big kiss, we were lead to the main house where a delicious meal was prepared for us.

Fooooooooood
One of the initial (and biggest) lures of The Mast Farm Inn for us was the restaurant, Simplicity. The menus, homegrown fruit & veg, homemade dairy & bacon, etc....pretty much like sparkles and Hello Kitty to a nine year-old girl. Our first experience of the food at TMFI was our wedding dinner directly after our ceremony. We were lead to the private room off one side of the kitchen overlooking the outdoor eating area and gazebo path. The big farm table was arrayed with Champagne, a beautiful little wedding cake for two, and candles. Our first course of sweet potato veloute and crab cake, topped with homemade creme fraiche, came out promptly. The veloute was heavenly and knowing that we had so many courses to go, I was sad to part with it, though I knew it was a necessity of the delicious task ahead. JJC adores crab cakes so he got mine, minus the two bites I had, and he devoured them eagerly. Next up, a beautiful salad with candied pancetta (? i think) and homemade cheese and pears. It might be the one on the restaurant's main menu with the sherry mustard vinaigrette but I'm not actually sure. We actually added an extra course to the dinner because we recently relocated to Tennessee from California where foie gras was banned. We missed it so and had to have some! The Foie Gras Torchon was the highlight of the meal for me. For the first time I ever I not only cleaned my plate but beat JJC. It was shaved foie gras, carmelized celery root, pistachios drizzled with a muscadine syrup. Granted, the shaved aspect of the foie gras means that you get less of it but the effect was divine. It really did just melt in the mouth. Oh, I loved it!!! Finally, our mains arrived and we were already so full. JJC had the duck and I the steak. These were both delicious but we were literally entering the food coma already so, while JJC was so enchanted by his duck that he managed to make decent work of it, we ended up enjoying the bulk of my steak for dinner that night in our cabin, as I just couldn't make much of a dent in it at all. Our meal concluded with some local moonshine. Apple pie and blueberry. Very potent stuff. The apple pie had the nicest flavor while the blueberry, with two blueberries which had soaked up a bunch of the alcohol, had the biggest punch (in the face).

The beautiful cake was not enjoyed until later that evening and it remained moist and decadent and delicious for quite a few days with no refrigeration. I think the last servings were eaten on Friday (wedding was on Tuesday).

The two breakfasts we had at Simplicity were divine, as well. My favorites were the open-faced vegetable strudel, the sausage patties, and the amazing oatmeal. I actually fancy myself an oatmeal connoisseur. If a place does something really special with oatmeal, that means they put a lot of effort into everything. It's rare that a restaurant with wonderful oatmeal doesn't have phenomenal food in general. This oatmeal is definitely among the best offerings I've ever had. Even JJC admitted that it was My-T decent, and that says a lot coming from him ("Wow, oatmeal. Can the bar get any lower on your expectations?" is usually the kind of response he has to my ordering it, especially when it's a place with an exciting menu). So, like WinnieP of Decatur, I am still savoring it (and the foie gras).

In Conclusion
Never having had any kind of wedding fantasy myself, as soon as JJC and I got engaged and the fact that I would in face be getting married became clear, I imagined a sunny day, a setting not marred by the passage of time, and the two of us. The Mast Farm Inn made this into a reality, down to the letter. It was just perfect.

Room Tip: The Loom House was ideal for two but there is a pull-out on the main floor allowing for more people.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
O Fallon il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Chef Andrew's , cooking class was clearly the highlight of our stay. His patience and clear explanations made for a very satisfying day and evening capped by an exquisite meal

Danielle added to the overall experience with her personality and skill in the kitchen. Breakfasts were memorable. With all that culinary talent ( Danielle's mother's deserts for example) you would think that Valle Crucis would be better embedded in the GPS system maps.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Decatur, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband, 4-year-old son and I stayed here to celebrate their birthdays in late February, and had a great time. The cabin where we stayed, Uncle Earl's Haven, was beautiful, and had everything we needed. The breakfasts were amazing ... I was just missing their delicious oatmeal this morning! They also made accommodations for my son, which he appreciated. We were lucky enough to be there one day after a baby goat was born, and my son got to hold him. The chef also gave him some carrots each day to feed the animals, which was a big highlight. Everyone was so kind and worked to make our stay wonderful. I would not hesitate to stay there again, and would recommend the Inn to everyone - friends, families, couples, solo travelers.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms here would be great - just depends on how many people you are traveling with...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We spent 2 nights here prior to our second child being born. We loved the quiet and quaint inn. It felt like we were going back in time... prior to be tethered to a TV, Blackberry, iPhone, etc. We stayed in the farmhouse but the cabins outside looked very cozy. Breakfast was absolutely delicious every morning! My husband loved the gouda grits!!
Everyone we encountered was just so friendly and warm. A place we will definetly visit again!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My partner and I spent a wonderful weekend in the Loom House. The staff were so welcoming and the accomodations were amazing! The attention to detail was incredible. We had personalized breakfast menus and notes left for us in our cabin. Everyone there goes the extra mile to make sure you have the most memorable experience there. We will definitely stay there again soon! Thank you Danielle and Lorraine!

Wendy and Christine

Room Tip: The Loom House was amazing!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
South Florida, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had tried to get reservations on our last several trips to Valle Crusis but they were always booked every night.finally on a snowy night we were able to get a table. It was definitely worth the wait. The service was excellent and every dish was delicious. I had the chef's selection which was Black Grouper, and my wife had the Sirloin Steak. Be sure and try their grilled Brussels Sprouts as a side dish. The Hummingbird Cake for dessert was to die for! This is a must if you get to Valle Crusis!

• Stayed March 2013
Black Mountain, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

The Mast Farm Inn provides so much more than lodging. It provides an experience like none other. The employees -- the Innkeeper, the wait staff, the chef, the housekeeper -- all go to great lengths to form a connection with their guests so the experience becomes quite personal and connected. There is a true sense of community that surrounds and supports this Inn and I found myself regretting that my stay came to an end. If you want to truly experience the nature and culture of Valle Crusis, let yourself be their guest. They make it extremely easy to slow down, relax and reset your priorities.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Black Smith Shop. It has a very comfortable bed and a gas fire stove that made the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Mast Farm Inn? Share your experiences!