“Pay for what you get” 3 of 5 stars

Charlotte, NC
10 attraction reviews
“Pay for what you get”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

After using Carolina Outfitters for two other Nantahala trips and being very pleased, we used them again for our third since they were cheaper than NOC. The check-in process was a mess; they hadn't written our last name down correctly, the front desk staff was very confused and it took quite a few minutes for them to get situated. When we got our PFDs, one of the staff gave someone the wrong size, and the senior guy yelled at him in front of the whole group. The safety presentation was kind of a joke. Neal was very relaxed and sped through the instructions. Luckily, we're experienced rafters and the Nantahala is a very easy river, but I felt bad for the first-time rafters. The outpost itself is very nice and has numerous changing rooms, snacks for sale, etc., but I think we'll use NOC from now on.

Visited July 2012

Chicago, Illinois
6 attraction reviews
“Beautiful river, but lots of rafting choices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We were coming from Bryson City and it seemed like Carolina Outfitters was the farthest, we must have passed 10 other rafting companies. The signing in, gearing up, safety instruction part seemed to take a long time. But, I am glad I listened to the safety instructions because I actually went overboard at the Nantahalla falls - so scary! In hindsight I was both impressed with the guides - 2 other guides were great in assisting me to shore - and a little upset. I think our guide Kat should have instructed us better how rough the falls were going to be and told us to lean to the inside of the boat as we heard other guides doing. Kat seemed a little flustered when she couldn't pull me on board (not her fault, I'm not a small person). All in all, the guides as a group rallied around and saved me from a potentially horrible accident. Up until the falls at the very end of the trip, we all had an absolutely wonderful time. Beautiful river with a great mix of rapids and smooth waters. It's something people of all ages can do. Even with everything that happened, I would go back again. Next time I might consider a rafting company a little closer to the action and not such a far drive.

Visited July 2012
Dallas, Georgia, United States
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We made a reservation for 7 through Carolina Outfitters, a week prior to the trip 2 of the 7 people backed out so I called for a refund on 2 people. They would not give a refund. I think that is unethical as I had given them plenty of notice and it wasnt as though they were loosing anything. Regardless of if there are 5 or 7 one raft is being used for the alotted time. Not as though we are costing them any extra monies. I am very disappointed in the level of service and Carolina Outfitters has left me with a sour taste in my mouth. Should you choose to use them NO NOT PRE-PAY because if you have an emergency and have to cancel they will not give you your money back!!! I will definitely be useing someone else next time.

Visited June 2012
Statesboro, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
“Fun, safety-conscious rafting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We were a 3 generation group with some rafting experience, so we chose an unguided trip down the Nantahala in a 6 person raft. We were very impressed with the instructions, safety checks, and the safety talk. The business is several miles above the NOC, so it is only a short distance to the launch point. One advantage is that they have several launch times each day; their prices are very competitive (check the internet special). Reservations would probably be advisable during peak times, but we just called the morning of the day we were going. It was a fun trip!

Visited June 2012
Greensboro
“Good Casual Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

Enjoyed the trip. The shop is a little quant but the guides were good. The office seems a little unorganzied but they were adjusting for last minute rafters who came in without reservations so it all worked out well. A good value. Would definetly recommend them to others.

Visited September 2011